BOSTON BRUINS (5-1-1 – 11 Points) vs. TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (4-3-1 – 9 Points)
OCT. 19, 2019 ▪ 7:00 PM EST
SCOTIABANK ARENA (TORONTO, ON)
▪ TV: SPORTSNET/HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA ▪ RADIO: SPORTSNET 590 THE FAN
MAPLE LEAFS HISTORY versus BOSTON
ALL-TIME RECORD: 277-298-98-10 ALL-TIME at HOME: 173-110-51-3 2018-19: 1-3-0 LAST 5: 2-3-0 LAST 10: 6-4-0
MAPLE LEAFS CAREER LEADERS versus BOSTON
GAMES: Jason Spezza (60), John Tavares (34), Cody Ceci (21) POINTS: Jason Spezza (51), John Tavares (27), Mitch Marner (18) GOALS: Jason Spezza (18), John Tavares (14), Mitch Marner (5) ASSISTS: Jason Spezza (33), Mitch Marner (13), John Tavares (13) PENALTY MINUTES: Jason Spezza (33), Martin Marincin (10), John Tavares (10)
MAPLE LEAFS – BRUINS TEAM STATS
GOALS FOR (Rank): 31 (t-2nd) 19 (t-19th)
GOALS AGAINST (Rank): 27 (t-22nd) 13 (2nd)
SHOTS (Rank): 277 (t-4th) 214 (19th)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank): 371 (2nd) 255 (20th) 5-on-5
SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank): 55.3% (4th) 50.0% (15th)
FACEOFF % (Rank): 53.0% (4th) 49.9% (t-16th)
MAPLE LEAFS – BRUINS NOTES
- Tonight’s game marks the 675th meeting between the Maple Leafs and Bruins.
- – The first matchup between the franchises took place on December 3, 1924 when the Toronto St. Patricks defeated the Bruins by a 5-3 score in Toronto.
- – The Maple Leafs have a record of 277-289-98-10 in the previous 674 matchups between the clubs.
- – The Maple Leafs have a record of 173-110-51-3 in 337 games played in Toronto and a record of 104-179-47-7 in 337 games played in Boston.
- – Toronto’s last win over the Bruins in Toronto came on November 26, 2018 (Toronto 4, Boston 2).
- – Frederik Andersen earned his first win as a Maple Leaf against Boston on October 15, 2016.
- – Kevin Gravel scored his first career NHL goal on February 23, 2017 vs. Boston as a member of the Los Angeles Kings.
- – Michael Hutchinson was originally selected by the Bruins in the third round (77th overall) of the 2008 NHL Draft. He later earned his first career win on April 10, 2014 against the Bruins as a member of the Winnipeg Jets.
- – Alex Kerfoot scored his first career goal on October 11, 2017 vs. the Bruins as a member of the Colorado Avalanche.
- – Mitch Marner recorded his first career NHL point with a goal on October 15, 2016 vs. Boston.
- – Nic Petan made his NHL debut on October 8, 2015 at Boston as a member of the Winnipeg Jets and recorded his first career NHL point with a goal in the same game.
- – Jason Spezza made his NHL debut on October 24, 2002 at Boston as a member of the Ottawa Senators and registered his first career point with an assist in the same game.
- – John Tavares scored his 200th career NHL goal on March 12, 2016 at Boston as a member of the New York Islanders.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
GOALS 7 (Matthews)
ASSISTS 9 (Rielly)
POINTS 9 (Marner, Rielly)
POWER PLAY POINTS 6 (Marner)
SHORTHANDED POINTS 1 (Kapanen, Moore)
PIMs 8 (Kerfoot, Rielly)
SHOTS 34 (Matthews)
FACEOFF WIN% 63.6% (Gauthier)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % 70.6% (Spezza)
BLOCKED SHOTS 21 (Ceci)
TAKEAWAYS 7 (Marner, Mikheyev, Tavares)
HITS 15 (Moore, Muzzin)
TOI PER GAME 24:37 (Rielly)
PP TOI PER GAME 3:01 (Matthews, Rielly)
SH TOI PER GAME 3:29 (Ceci)
MAPLE LEAFS NOTABLES
- Frederik Andersen is 11-2-0 with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage in 13 career regular-season appearances against Boston.
- – Tyson Barrie has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 59.2 percent, which is the highest mark among Toronto defencemen and the seventh-highest mark among NHL defencemen who have appeared in at least five games.
- – Cody Ceci is tied for fourth in the NHL in blocked shots (21). He is tied with Morgan Rielly for the lead in takeaways (4) among Maple Leaf defencemen.
- – Frederik Gauthier has started 4.8 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest mark among NHL centres who have appeared in multiple games.
- – Michael Hutchinson is 2-2-1 with a 2.25 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage in six career games against the Bruins. – Andreas Johnsson had three points (2-1-3) in four games against Boston last season. Thirty-eight (20 goals, 18 assists) of his 50 career points have come on home ice.
- – Kasperi Kapanen established a new career-high for points (1-2-3) on October 16 at Washington. He has four even-strength assists, which is tied for the fourth-most among NHL right wingers.
- – Alex Kerfoot has won 55.6 percent (20 won, 16 lost) of his faceoffs when the Maple Leafs are leading in games, which is tied for the 15th-most faceoffs wins when leading in the NHL.
- – Mitch Marner is tied for second among all NHL skaters in power play points with six (2-4-6). He is averaging 3.38 shots on goal per game through seven games this season. His career-high for shots on goal per game in a season prior to this season was 2.84 in 2018-19.
- – Auston Matthews is tied for third in the NHL in goals (7) and is tied for the NHL lead in even-strength goals (5) through seven games in 2019-20. He ranks fourth among NHL skaters in shots on goal (34). He ranks third among skaters who have taken at least 60 faceoffs in faceoff win percentage (62.3% – 43 won, 26 lost).
- – Ilya Mikheyev is tied for second in points among rookie skaters (3-3-6). He leads all rookies who have appeared in multiple games in shorthanded ice time per game (2:34).
- – Trevor Moore is tied for the lead among NHL rookies in hits (15) and is tied for fourth among NHL rookies in takeaways (5).
- – Jake Muzzin is averaging 29.9 shifts per game, which is tied for the fourth-highest average among all NHL skaters. His 23:14 time on ice per game average is 2:00 higher than his career ice time average (21:14).
- – William Nylander has registered four (2-2-4) of his five points on home ice this season. He leads the Maple Leafs in backhand shots on goal (5) through eight games this season, which is also tied for the fourth-most backhand shots in the League.
- – Morgan Rielly is 10th in the NHL in time on ice per game (24:37). He is tied for fourth among all NHL skaters in assists (9). His 16 wrist shots are tied for the fifth-most among all NHL defencemen.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
- John Tavares has goals (2) and points (3-1-4) in four consecutive games.
- October 15: Morgan Rielly recorded his 200th career NHL assist. – October 12: Nick Shore scored his first goal as a Maple Leaf.
- Frederik Andersen is two games from 200 games as a Maple Leaf.
- – Michael Hutchinson is four wins from 50 career NHL wins.
- – Auston Matthews is five assists from 100 career NHL assists.
- Travis Dermott (shoulder) is on injured reserve
- . – Zach Hyman (knee) is on injured reserve. –
- John Tavares (finger) sustained a broken finger on October 16 at Washington.
- Oct. 14: Recalled defenceman Kevin Gravel from the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Loaned defenceman Rasmus Sandin to the Marlies.