The 49ers’ players joined a chorus Saturday from around the professional football world, announcing through the NFL Players Association that many of them won’t be involved in the team’s voluntary offseason program. The Niners’ players cited the coronavirus pandemic as a reason to hold a virtual offseason rather than in-person workouts this spring and summer.…49ers players: Many will skip offseason workouts over COVID — Marin Independent Journal
The Clippers are coming home from their three-game road swing for a bona fide meet-and-greet, a long-awaited home game at Staples Center in front of people who’ve bought to tickets to be there – and possibly to bear witness to some personal scoring history by Paul George. 918 more wordsClippers’ Paul George flourishing despite foot injury — Daily Breeze
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Donovan Mitchell scored 22 points before leaving the game with a sprained ankle in the third quarter, and the NBA-leading Utah Jazz beat the Indiana Pacers 119-111 on Friday. Bojan Bogdanovic had 24 points and Rudy Gobert added 13 points, 23 rebounds and four blocks for the Jazz. Jordan Clarkson […]Minus injured Mitchell, Jazz rally to beat Pacers 119-111 — WTTV CBS4Indy
The Clippers will keep Boogieing for at least another 10 days. The team tweeted Friday morning it had signed veteran center DeMarcus Cousins to a second 10-day contract. 624 more wordsClippers re-sign DeMarcus Cousins to second 10-day deal — Press Enterprise
In the weeks leading up to the trade deadline, Bruins fans seemed to be of two competing minds concerning what should be at the top of the grocery list. A top-six wing or a puck-moving, left-shot defenseman? Well, GM Don Sweeney appears to have done a good job in acquiring those two commodities in Taylor…Bruins notebook: Fourth line becoming an asset again — Boston Herald
USC is getting a key piece of its Elite Eight run back, as guard Isaiah White announced on Friday that he is returning for a final season of eligibility. 211 more wordsUSC guard Isaiah White to return for extra season of eligibility — Daily Breeze
Dwyane Wade is a #HeatLifer.Dwyane Wade buys ownership share of Utah Jazz — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
The Avalanche is shutting down operations through Tuesday after after a third member of the franchise tested positive for COVID-19. Following the third positive test, Colorado canceled its morning skate Friday ahead of the night’s scheduled game against the Kings at Ball Arena. 419 more wordsKings games postponed after 3rd member of Avalanche franchise tests positive for COVID-19 — Daily Breeze
Hopefully this is not as bad as it looked initially.Donovan Mitchell leaves game with nasty looking ankle sprain — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Alabama’s leading scorer guard Jaden Shackelford is testing the NBA draft waters. Shackelford announced on social media Thursday night that he was entering the draft but wouldn’t hire an agent, leaving the door open for a return to the university. The sophomore averaged a team-best 14 points during the Crimson Tide’s […]Alabama’s Jaden Shackelford exploring NBA draft — WHNT.com
RICHMOND, Va. — Bubba Wallace says get the shot, like he did. Brad Keselowski says he hasn’t decided yet whether to get vaccinated against COVID-19 while Austin Dillion and reigning NASCAR Cup Series champion Chase Elliott say it’s a personal choice and no one else’s business, though Dillon’s Richard Childress Racing team did host a…NASCAR, motorsports approach to virus vaccine varies greatly — The Denver Post
WINNIPEG JETS (27-14-3 – 57 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-12-4 – 60 Points)
THURSDAY, APRIL 15, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Alex Galchenyuk opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 3:41 of the first period. Galchenyuk’s goal is his first at Scotiabank Arena as a member of the Maple Leafs. He has six points (1-5-6) in eight games on home ice as a member of the Maple Leafs. He has two goals in six games against Winnipeg this season.
- John Tavares had the secondary assist on Galchenyuk’s first period goal and later scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 6:47 of the second period. Tonight’s game is Tavares’ second consecutive multi-point game and his 11th multi-point performance of the season. Tavares has assists (3) in two consecutive games and points (2-4-6) in four consecutive games. He has five points (2-3-5) in seven games against Winnipeg in 2020-21. He has 10 points (4-6-10) in eight games during the month of April.
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Galchenyuk’s first period goal. Marner has seven points (1-6-7) over his last five games played. He has nine points (3-6-9) in seven games against the Jets this season. In 24 games on home ice, he has recorded 32 points (10 goals, 22 assists).
- Jason Spezza registered the primary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Spezza has two points (1-1-2) over his last five games played. He has 10 points (5-5-10) in 23 games on home ice this season. He as recorded three points (1-2-3) in seven games during the month of April. Spezza is skating in his 100th game as a Maple Leaf.
- Nick Robertson had the secondary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Robertson’s assist is his first career NHL regular season point. He has recorded 10 points (3-7-10) in 14 games with the Toronto Marlies (AHL) during the 2020-21 season.
- Jack Campbell stopped three of the six shots he faced tonight.
- David Rittich stopped 16 of the 17 shots he faced in relief of Campbell.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|WINNIPEG||8 (7)||11 (7)||5 (4)||–||24 (18)|
|TORONTO||7 (4)||11 (10)||15 (8)||–||33 (22)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|WINNIPEG||14 (13)||18 (14)||10 (8)||–||42 (35)|
|TORONTO||19 (14)||22 (21)||21 (11)||–||62 (46)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||14-7-3 (24 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg||38-22-1-9 (70 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg at Home||19-12-1-4 (36 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||5 (Simmonds, Tavares)|
|Shot Attempts||9 (Hyman, Simmonds)|
|Faceoff Wins||14 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Galchenyuk, Simmonds, Thornton)|
|Hits||3 (Five players tied)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Brodie, Dermott, Holl)|
|Power Play TOI||4:54 (Rielly)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:06 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||82.4% (Thornton – 14 for, 3 against)|
|Trail after 1||5-6-2|
|Trail after 2||2-9-1|
|Do not score a power play goal||13-9-2|
|Allow multiple power play goals||2-3-0|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-2 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- At 4:22 of the First Period the Situation Room informed the off-ice officials to sound the in-arena horn after it was confirmed that Alex Galchenyuk’s shot at 16:19 completely crossed the Winnipeg goal line. Therefore, the clock is reset to show 16:19 (3:41 elapsed time) and good goal Toronto.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 17 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 47.2 percent (17 for, 19 against).
- Morgan Rielly was the lone Maple Leaf to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- John Tavares won 100% (7 won, 0 lost) of his faceoffs in the offensive zone tonight.
- Saturday, April 17, 7:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Monday, April 19, 9:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Wednesday, April 21, 7:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Friday, April 23, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, April 24, 7:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.