The Nuggets didn’t bring in free agent guard Austin Rivers just to “hang out,” according to coach Michael Malone. A day after the Nuggets signed Rivers to a 10-day contract, Malone insisted the former Knicks guard was going to play. “His role is to come in and help this team in any way that he…Nuggets’ plan for G Austin Rivers: “We’re going to throw him out there” — The Denver Post
Bulls guard Zach LaVine reportedly tested positive for coronavirus Thursday.NBA: Three more players tested positive for coronavirus in last week — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
ANAHEIM — A day after Shohei Ohtani’s return to the mound, his blister was still fine. Now, the Angels will move on to fixing his command. 605 more wordsAngels looking to improve Shohei Ohtani’s command — Whittier Daily News
The NBA head coach joins the board of Noah Basketball, a sports data, and tech company that tracks shooting performance.Toronto Raptors Coach Nick Nurse Joins Sports Data Company Used by Top NBA Teams — NBC4 Washington
RED SOX NOTES (12-6)
THE RED SOX have won each of their last 2 games…Are 12-3 in their last 15 games after starting the season 0-3.
Own the AL’s best record (12-6, .667), trailing only LAD (14-4, .778) for the best in the majors.
Tonight was their MLB-best 9th come-from-behind win, having trailed 1-0 entering the bottom of the 4th inning.
Are 12-0 this season when holding a lead at any point in the game.
EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ (6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, BB, 6 SO) set season highs in IP (6.0) and pitches (90)…Allowed a HR to Randal Grichuk to begin the 7th, his final BF.
Is 3-0 with a 3.38 ERA and 0.88 WHIP in 3 starts this season (16.0 IP, 12 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 18 SO).
Has thrown at least 5.0 innings in each of his last 31 starts (beginning 5/4/19), the 3rd-longest active streak in the majors behind only Shane Bieber (36) and
Justin Verlander (33)…The Red Sox are 25-6 (.806) in those 31 games.
The Red Sox are 48-12 (.800) in his starts since the beginning of 2018, including 17-3 in his last 20 and 7-0 in his last 7…The only AL pitchers to start more
team wins since the beginning of 2018 are Gerrit Cole (60, HOU & NYY) and Mike Fiers (51, DET & OAK).
XANDER BOGAERTS (2-for-4, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI) doubled in the 2nd and hit a 3-run HR in the 4th, his 1st HR of the season.
Is slugging .673 in 13 games beginning 4/5, batting .469 (23-for-49) with a 1.192 OPS during that span (7 R, 7 2B, HR, 7 RBI, 5 BB).
Tonight’s HR was Bogaerts’ 119th career HR, tying him with Joe Cronin for the 5th-most among Red Sox SS…He trails Rico Petrocelli (210), Nomar Garciaparra
(178), Vern Stephens (122), and John Valentin (121).
Since the start of 2019, Bogaerts’ 45 HR trail only Trevor Story (entered today with 46) for the most among ML shortstops (min. 50% games played at SS).
CHRISTIAN ARROYO (3-for-4, R, 2B) matched a career high in hits (3, 2nd time), having also done so with the Red Sox on 9/18/20 vs. NYY.
Doubled in the 5th inning, his team-lead-tying 7th of the season (Martinez, Bogaerts).
Is 12-for-25 (.480) over his last 9 games (5 R, 5 2B, RBI, BB, HBP)…Has at least 1 hit in 11 of his 13 games this season, and in 11 of his 12 starts.
MATT BARNES (1.0 IP, H, SO) is 3-for-3 in save opportunities this season…Has allowed only 5 of his 32 batters faced to reach base (3 H, 2 BB), recording 16 SO.
BOBBY DALBEC (2-for-3, 3B, RBI) singled in the 3rd inning and hit an RBI triple in the 4th inning…Was his 1st career triple and 1st triple by a Red Sox player in 2021.
Is 9-for-27 (.333) with 4 2B, 3B, and 4 RBI in his last 9 games, beginning 4/10 (R, 3 BB).
MATT ANDRIESE (1.0 IP, SO) tossed a scoreless 7th inning, retiring all 3 batters faced…Has not allowed an ER in his last 5 appearances (6.2 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 SO).
ADAM OTTAVINO (1.0 IP, BB, SO) has not allowed a run in 3 of his last 4 outings (3.1 IP), including each of his last 2.
BLUE JAYS NOTES (7-10)
THE BLUE JAYS have lost 3 consecutive games…Are 1-4 on the current road trip…Are 0-3 in their last 3 series openers after winning each of their first 2.
Recorded 4 hits or fewer in back-to-back games for the first time since 7/24-26/19…Was their first time with 4 hits or fewer at Fenway Park since 7/18/19.
Have lost 8 games this season by 2 runs or fewer.
HYUN JIN RYU (5.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 2 SO) allowed 4 runs after surrendering 2 runs or fewer in 12 of his last 13 starts, including each of his previous 6.
Held the Red Sox scoreless through 3.0 innings before allowing back-to-back singles followed by Xander Bogaerts’ 3-run HR in the 4th.
Was his first game with 2 or fewer SO since 7/31/19 with LAD at COL.
BO BICHETTE (2-for-4, R, HR, RBI) lead off the 4th inning with a HR to left field, his team-leading 5th of the season.
Added an infield single in the 6th for his 5th multi-hit game of the season, trailing only Xander Bogaerts for most among AL shortstops.
RANDAL GRICHUK (2-for-4, R, HR, RBI) hit a solo HR in the 7th inning and an infield single in the 9th…Is batting .343 (12-for-35) in 11 road games this yea
The Clippers – severely short-handed, supremely hot-handed – arrived in Portland on a roll. They entered the fray Tuesday shooting a league-high 42.1% from 3-point range, and having won 14 of their past 17 games despite playing without starters Serge Ibaka, Patrick Beverley, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George for all or some of those. On…Paul George, Clippers rally past Blazers — Orange County Register
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-13-5 – 61 Points) vs.
VANCOUVER CANUCKS (18-18-3 – 39 Points)
TUESDAY, APRIL 20, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- John Tavares opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 16:55 of the first period and later scored the second Toronto goal of the game on the power play at 17:14 of the second period. Tavares has points (4-6-10) in six consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his first multi-goal game of the season and his 13th multi-point game of 2020-21.
He has seven points (4-3-7) in seven games against the Canucks this season. In 22 games on the road this season he has registered 24 points (9-15-24). He is tied for 23rd in the NHL in points (16 goals, 26 assists) and is tied for 21st among NHLers in even-strength points (10 goals, 20 assists).
- Adam Brooks scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night shorthanded at 3:10 of the third period. Brooks’ goal is his second career NHL goal and first career shorthanded goal. He has a pair of goals in three games with the Maple Leafs this season and five points (2-3-5) in 10 career NHL games. He has recorded 13 points (4-9-13) in 17 games with the Toronto Marlies (AHL) in 2020-21.
Per NHL Stats, Brooks is the first Maple Leaf in franchise history to score his first career goal on the power play and second career goal while shorthanded (or vice versa), and becomes the 51st player in NHL history to do so.
- William Nylander registered the primary assist on Tavares’ first period goal and Tavares’ second period goal. Nylander has assists (3) and points (1-3-4) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his fifth multi-assist and 11th multi-point game of the season.
He has seven points (1-6-7) in seven games against Vancouver in 2020-21. In five games during the month of April, Nylander has recorded eight points (1-7-8). He ranks fifth among Maple Leafs in assists (20) and is fourth among Toronto skaters in primary assists (12).
- Alex Kerfoot had the secondary assist on Tavares’ first period goal. He has two points (1-1-2) over his last four games played. The Vancouver native has a pair of assists in four games at Rogers Arena this season. He has registered 10 of his 12 assists at 5-on-5 this season.
- Auston Matthews had the secondary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Matthews has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 23 points (13 goals, 10 assists) in 20 games on the road this season. He has registered seven points (6-1-7) in seven games against the Canucks this season. He is tied for fourth in the NHL and tied for first among Toronto skaters in points with 55 (33 goals, 22 assists).
- Mitch Marner recorded the primary assist on Brooks’ third period goal. Marner has three assists over his last five games played. In 22 games on the road this season, he has recorded 23 points (4-19-23). He has registered eight points (1-7-8) in seven games against the Canucks in 2020-21. Marner is tied for third among NHLers in assists (41) and ranks second in the League in primary assists (28). He is tied for fourth in the NHL and tied for first among Toronto skaters in points with 55 (33 goals, 22 assists).
- Justin Holl had the secondary assist on Brooks’ third period goal. Holl has 15 points (2-13-15) in 46 games this season. He has a pair of assists in seven games against Vancouver in 2020-21. He has registered six points (2-4-6) on the road this season.
- David Rittich stopped 23 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||13 (13)||19 (17)||8 (3)||–||40 (33)|
|VANCOUVER||12 (12)||8 (8)||9 (5)||–||29 (25)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||18 (18)||28 (24)||13 (5)||–||59 (47)|
|VANCOUVER||18 (18)||19 (19)||22 (11)||–||59 (48)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||14-6-2 (22 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver||64-65-22-4 (155 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver on the Road||26-40-11-3 (80 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||8 (Marner, Nylander)|
|Faceoff Wins||9 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||60% (Thornton – 3 won, 2 lost)|
|Hits||3 (Bogosian, Galchenyuk)|
|Blocked Shots||5 (Muzzin)|
|Takeaways||2 (Matthews, Nylander)|
|Power Play TOI||2:20 (Marner, Matthews, Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:23 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||63.2% (Bogosian – 12 for, 7 against)|
|Lead after 1||13-3-3|
|Tied after 2||9-2-1|
|Score 1 power play goal||9-2-3|
|Allow 1 power play goal||7-8-2|
|Allow a shorthanded goal||4-1-1|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-2 on the penalty kill with a shorthanded goal and 1-for-2 on the power play with a shorthanded goal against tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Pierre Engvall, Wayne Simmonds and Joe Thornton started 20% of their 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Zach Bogosian (upper body) left tonight’s game and did not return.
- Auston Matthews was 3-for-4 (75%) when taking defensive zone faceoffs tonight.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 29 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 67.4 percent (29 for, 14 against).
- Jason Spezza was 5-for-8 (63%) when taking draws in the offensive zone.
- John Tavares won 60% (6 won, 4 lost) of his faceoffs in the offensive zone tonight.
- Thursday, April 22, 7:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Saturday, April 24, 7:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, April 28, 8:00 p.m. at Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, April 29, 7:30 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, May 1, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, 680 News)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.
Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on Tuesday was found guilty on all three counts against him for the murder of George Floyd. And the highly anticipated verdict allowed many across the nation to exhale in relief. NBA commissioner Adam Silver and NBPA Executive Director Michele Roberts released a joint statement shortly after the news, […]NBA, NBPA Release Statement Following Derek Chauvin Verdict — NESN.com
Mitch Haniger’s dribbler to the right side of the infield left the bat at 53.9 mph, not fast enough to draw a moving violation on most highways. But it was the only hit allowed by the Dodgers’ pitchers Tuesday afternoon. Julio Urias struck out a career-high 11 in seven scoreless innings as the Dodgers beat…Julio Urias strikes out 11 in Dodgers’ 1-hit shutout of Mariners — San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Kentucky forward Isaiah Jackson says he will enter the NBA draft and be evaluated but not hire an agent, leaving the door open to return to school.Kentucky’s Jackson to enter NBA draft, but not hire an agent — College Basketball | NBC Sports
Johnny Juzang, who starred for UCLA in the Bruins’ run to the Final Four, is entering his name in the NBA draft but not hiring an agent.Johnny Juzang, UCLA star, enters NBA draft — The Denver Post
If life is all about choices, then everything is a bet. You win some, you lose some, but the one overarching truth is that you will have to make some. 1,015 more wordsKurtenbach: Never, ever, ever bet against Steph Curry and Draymond Green — Marin Independent Journal