TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (21-14-4 – 46 Points) vs.
NEW JERSEY DEVILS (12-19-6 – 30 Points)
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 27, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Zach Hyman put the Maple Leafs on the board with a power play goal at 16:56 of the first period. Hyman has points (3-4-7) in three consecutive games. He has scored six of his nine goals on the road this season. Hyman has a goal and four assists in 10 career games against the Devils.
- Ilya Mikheyev scored Toronto’s second goal of the game at 17:15 of the first period. Mikheyev has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 15 points (5 goals, 10 assists) in 21 games on the road in 2019-20. He has six points (3-3-6) in 12 games against Metropolitan Division opponents.
- Kasperi Kapanen scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 5:16 of the second period. Kapanen has two points (1-1-2) over his last four games played. He has recorded 16 (7 goals, 9 assists) of his 20 points on the road this season.
- John Tavares registered the primary assist on Mikheyev’s first period goal and later had the secondary assist on Kapanen’s second period goal before scoring the fourth Toronto goal of the game on the power play at 8:15 of the third period. Tavares has goals (2) in two consecutive games and assists (5) and points (1-5-6) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his third multi-assist and 11th multi-point performance of the season. He is tied for fifth among all NHLers in points against the Devils since entering the League in 2009-10 (18-16-34).
- William Nylander picked up the secondary assist on Mikheyev’s first period goal and later recorded the primary assist on Tavares’ third period goal before scoring the game-winning goal at 2:38 of overtime. Nylander has goals (2) and points (2-2-4) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his first multi-assist and sixth multi-point game of the season. He has eight points (4-4-8) over his last five games played. He has 13 points (7 goals, 6 assists) in 12 games against Metropolitan Division teams in 2019-20. His overtime goal is the third overtime goal of his NHL career and his second overtime goal against the Devils.
- Morgan Rielly registered the primary assist on Hyman’s first period goal. Rielly has three assists over his last five games played. Rielly has recorded 12 assists in 21 road games in 2019-20. He has seven assists in 12 games against Metropolitan Division opposition.
- Jason Spezza collected the secondary assist on Hyman’s first period goal. Spezza has assists (2) and points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has recorded 11 (4-7-11) of his 15 points in 17 road games this season. He has seven points (3 goals, 4 assists) in nine games against Metropolitan Division teams.
- Alex Kerfoot recorded the primary assist on Kapanen’s second period goal. Kerfoot has assists (2) in two consecutive games. He has three assists in five career games against the Devils. Kerfoot was originally selected by New Jersey in the fifth round (150th overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft.
- Tyson Barrie collected the secondary assist on Tavares’ third period goal. Barrie has assists (2) and points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has six points (1-5-6) in 11 games during the month of December.
- Michael Hutchinson stopped 24 shots to earn the victory
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||19 (16)||9 (9)||5 (4)||4 (0)||37 (29)|
|NEW JERSEY||9 (9)||14 (12)||5 (4)||0 (0)||28 (25)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||32 (28)||16 (16)||12 (9)||5 (0)||65 (53)|
|NEW JERSEY||12 (11)||23 (19)||11 (10)||0 (0)||46 (40)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||11-10-0 (21 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. New Jersey||74-41-20-9 (144 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. New Jersey on the Road||27-24-15-5 (71 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||12-9-4 (25 Games)|
|Record vs. Metropolitan Division||5-4-3 (12 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||8 (Rielly, Tavares)|
|Faceoff Wins||14 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Gauthier – 3 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||1 (Eight players tied)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Muzzin)|
|Power Play TOI||5:38 (Marner)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:02 (Engvall)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||84.2% (Kerfoot – 16 for, 3 against)|
|Opponent scores first||8-11-3|
|Leading after 1||10-2-1|
|Trail after 2||2-8-1|
|Score multiple power play goals||5-1-0|
|Allow one power play goal||9-6-3|
|Outshot by opponent||11-9-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 2-for-3 on the penalty kill and went 2-for-3 on the power play tonight.
- Ilya Mikheyev suffered a significant laceration to his wrist and was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation and assessment.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 24 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Muzzin finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 58.5 percent (24 for, 17 against).
- William Nylander had a team-high five takeaways tonight, which ties the single-game season-high by a Maple Leaf in 2019-20 and is the highest total by a Maple Leaf on the road.
- Dmytro Timashov started 40 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- John Tavares won 58 percent (7 won, 5 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Saturday, December 28, 7:00 p.m. vs. New York Rangers (Sportsnet, Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
- Tuesday, December 31, 6:00 p.m. at Minnesota Wild (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, January 2, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Saturday, January 4, 7:00 p.m. vs. New York Islanders (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Monday, January 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Edmonton Oilers (TSN4, TSN 1050)