TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2019
Cleveland: P. Bittner (4) (D. Simpson), J. Scott (5) (S. Johnson, D. DeSalvo), K. Sherwood (4) (D. DeSalvo), J. Scott (6) EN (A. Clendening, M. Fortier)
Goaltender: V. Vehvilainen (28/29)
Toronto: K. Agostino (17) (T. Liljegren, M. Read)
Goaltender: K. Kaskisuo (32/35)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Kenny Agostino scored at 9:17 of the second period. This was Agostino’s 300th career AHL game. He has 27 points (17 goals, 10 assists) in 27 games. He is tied for third overall in goals (17).
- Timothy Liljegren recorded the primary assist on Agostino’s second period goal. This was his 50th career AHL point (7-43-50). Liljegren set a career-high in points (3-15-18) in one season through 28 games.
- Matt Read registered the secondary assist on Agostino’s second period goal. Read has nine points (3 goals, 6 assists) in 24 games this season. He has assists (2) in consecutive games.
- Kasimir Kaskisuo stopped 32 of 35 shots he faced. He is now 10-4-1-0 on the season with a 0.916 Save Percentage and a 2.45 Goals Against Average.
A DECADE OF MARLIES
- Toronto is 417-228-41-33 since the 2010-11 season. The club has finished with 40 or more wins seven times, capturing two MacGregor Kilpatrick trophies with the best regular season record.
- The Marlies have advanced to two Calder Cup finals (2011-12 vs Norfolk, 2017-18 vs Texas), winning their first championship in 2017-18.
- Toronto has qualified for the postseason in eight consecutive seasons, advancing to the Conference Finals five times. The club is 63-38 in the playoffs with nine series sweeps.
- The Marlies have recorded 2,261 goals and allowed 1,905 goals.
- The Marlies are 5-2-1-3 on New Year’s Eve and have outscored their opponents 30-29.
- Toronto was 6-for-6 on the penalty kill and was 0-for-6 on the power play. This is the 12th game this season Toronto has not allowed a goal on the penalty kill.
- Cleveland had a 36-29 edge in shots in all situations. Pontus Aberg led the Marlies with five shots on goal.
- The Marlies are 9-5-2-1 against North Division opponents and are 2-1-0-0 against the Cleveland Monsters.
REGULAR SEASON LEADERS
- Goals: K. Agostino (17)
- Assists: J. Bracco (23)
- Points: P. Aberg, K. Agostino (27)
- PPG: P. Aberg,E. Korshkov (4)
- Shots: P. Aberg (86)
- +/-: G. Wilson (+10)
- PIMS: G. Wilson (58)
- The Marlies are 7-5-1-0 when trailing after the first period and 4-3-0-1 when tied after the second period.
- Toronto is 12-6-1-1 when outshot by their opponent.
- The Marlies are 0-1-0-0 in Tuesday games and finish 5-7-0-0 in December.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
- Timothy Liljegren has assists (2) in consecutive games.
- Kevin Gravel (illness) did not dress for today’s game against Cleveland.
- December 30: Returned defenceman Timothy Liljegren on loan to Toronto (NHL).
- December 30: Recalled defenceman Teemu Kivihalme from loan by Toronto (NHL).
- December 30: Recalled defenceman Timothy Liljegren from loan by Toronto (NHL).
- December 28: Returned forward Kenny Agostino on loan from Toronto (NHL).
HEAD COACH GREG MOORE
On the team’s first period:
I was actually really happy with it. I liked our energy, I liked our focus, I liked our execution of our details. Our bench was really good and we got some looks, so I was really happy with the start. The second period, I thought early on got away from us a little bit. We got in our D-zone, just need at the end to close out some plays a little bit quicker. But overall, I liked our process to start the game.
On Kasimir Kaskisuo:
He definitely made big saves. He’s been playing well lately. He had a good weekend this past week and it’s just one of those nights. I thought their goalie played really well, too. We had some backdoor empty nets on the power play we just couldn’t finish on, so we got our looks. Our staff really liked our process, our energy and a lot of things that we talked about the guys were executing. So, we’ll just build on focusing on the process and not the result.
January 3 at Syracuse – 7:00 p.m. ET
January 4 vs Rochester – 4:00 p.m. ET
January 5 vs Lehigh Valley – 4:00 p.m. ET
January 10 at Texas – 7:00 p.m. ET
January 11 at Texas – 7:00 p.m. ET