TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (22-14-5 – 49 Points) vs.
MINNESOTA WILD (19-17-5 – 43 Points)
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Alex Kerfoot put the Maple Leafs on the board at 5:55 of the first period. Kerfoot’s goal is his 100th career NHL point. He has three points (1-2-3) over his last four games played. He recorded seven points (1 goal, 6 assists) in 13 games during the month of December.
- William Nylander scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 19:29 of the first period and registered the primary assist on Auston Matthews’ second period goal. Nylander has goals (4) and points (4-4-8) in four consecutive games and assists (4) in three consecutive games. With goals in four consecutive games, Nylander has established a career-long goal streak (Previous: Mar. 20 to 23, 2017 (3G; 3GP)). Tonight’s game is Nylander’s eighth multi-point performance of 2019-20.
- Auston Matthews registered the primary assist on Nylander’s first period goal and later scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night on the power play at 8:34 of the second period. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ 16th multi-point performance of the season, which is tied for the fifth-most multi-point games in the NHL. He has 11 points (5 goals, 6 assists) in seven games against Central Division teams in 2019-20.
- John Tavares registered the primary assist on Kerfoot’s first period goal and later scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game into an empty net at 19:35 of the third period. Tavares has assists (7) and points (3-7-10) in five consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his 12th multi-point performance of 2019-20. He has 22 points (11 goals, 11 assists) in 19 road games this season. He has 17 points (8 goals, 9 assists) in 17 career games against the Wild.
- Travis Dermott had the secondary assist on Kerfoot’s first period goal. He has recorded six (2-4-6) of his seven points on the road this season. He has three assists in three career games against Minnesota.
- Tyson Barrie collected the secondary assist on Nylander’s first period goal. Barrie has assists (5) and points (1-5-6) in four consecutive games. He has eight points (1-7-8) in 15 career games at Xcel Energy Center. In 13 games during the month of December, Barrie recorded nine points (1 goal, 8 assists).
- Mitch Marner had the secondary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Marner has assists (2) in two consecutive games. He recorded 19 points (6 goals, 13 assists) in 12 games during the month of December. His 56 career points (17 goals, 39 assists) in 50 career games during the month of December marks his highest career point total in a single month.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 26 shots to earn the victory. He is the first goaltender in the NHL to reach the 20-win mark in 2019-20.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||8 (7)||15 (13)||6 (5)||–||29 (25)|
|MINNESOTA||7 (2)||14 (13)||6 (5)||–||27 (20)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||14 (13)||30 (27)||8 (7)||–||52 (47)|
|MINNESOTA||16 (9)||21 (19)||15 (11)||–||52 (39)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||12-10-0 (22 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Minnesota||12-11-0-1 (23 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Minnesota on the Road||4-6-0-1 (11 Games)|
|Record vs. Western Conference||10-5-0 (15 Games)|
|Record vs. Central Division||4-3-0 (7 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||8 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Wins||11 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||75% (Kerfoot – 3 won, 1 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Ceci, Rielly)|
|Power Play TOI||4:09 (Five players tied)|
|Shorthanded TOI||3:21 (Ceci, Marincin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||66.7% (Hyman – 12 for, 6 against)|
|Lead after 1||11-2-1|
|Lead after 2||15-1-2|
|Score one power play goal||8-3-3|
|Allow one power play goal||10-6-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 2-for-3 on the penalty kill and went 1-for-3 on the power play tonight.
- Justin Holl started 28.6 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 20 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Rielly finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 50 percent (20 for, 20 against).
- Jason Spezza went 5-for-6 (83%) in the faceoff circle when matched up with Minnesota centre Eric Staal.
- John Tavares won 63 percent (5 won, 3 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Thursday, January 2, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Saturday, January 4, 7:00 p.m. vs. New York Islanders (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Monday, January 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Edmonton Oilers (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, January 8, 7:30 p.m. vs. Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Sunday, January 12, 7:00 p.m. at Florida Panthers (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)