FLORIDA PANTHERS (29-17-5 – 63 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-18-7 – 63 Points)
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2020
ON THE SCORESHEET
- John Tavares put the Maple Leafs on the board with a power play goal at 3:21 of the second period. Tavares has 13 points (7 goals, 6 assists) in 13 games against Atlantic Division opponents. He has two goals in two games against the Panthers. In 23 games on home ice, he has recorded seven goals and 11 assists.
- William Nylander scored Toronto’s second goal of the night at 19:05 of the second period. Nylander has points (6-4-10) in eight consecutive games. He has a goal and an assist in two games against the Panthers this season. In 31 games against Eastern Conference opposition in 2019-20, he has registered 29 points (14 goals, 15 assists).
- Auston Matthews scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 0:38 of the third period. Matthews has points (3-2-5) in four consecutive games. He has scored 28 of his 37 goals on home ice this season. His third period goal is his 148th career goal, moving him into a tie with Borje Salming and Darcy Tucker for 29th place on the Maple Leafs’ all-time goal register.
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Tavares’ second period goal and later had the secondary assist on Matthews’ third period goal. Marner has points (1-6-7) in five consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his 11th multi-assist performance of 2019-20. He has 32 points (4 goals, 28 assists) in 25 games on home ice this season. In two games against the Panthers in 2019-20, he has registered four points (2-2-4).
- Tyson Barrie collected the secondary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Barrie has five assists over his last five games played. He has registered 15 of his 26 assists on home ice this season. He has two assists in two games against Florida.
- Kasperi Kapanen recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. He has a pair of assists in two games against Florida this season. In 10 games during the month of January, Kapanen recorded seven points (1-6-7).
- Andreas Johnsson had the secondary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Johnsson has three points (1-2-3) over his last three games. He has registered 11 (3-8-11) of his 19 points on home ice this season.
- Zach Hyman registered the primary assist on Matthews’ third period goal. Hyman has assists (2) in two consecutive games and points (2-3-5) in four consecutive games. He has 11 points (4 goals, 7 assists) in 16 career games against the Panthers, which is his highest point total against a single opponent.
- Frederik Andersen stopped seven of eight shots in in 20:00 of action.
- Michael Hutchinson stopped 10 of the 13 shots he faced in relief of Andersen.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|FLORIDA||8 (3)||3 (2)||11 (9)||–||22 (14)|
|TORONTO||13 (13)||14 (10)||7 (5)||–||34 (28)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|FLORIDA||19 (12)||7 (6)||17 (15)||–||43 (33)|
|TORONTO||19 (19)||23 (17)||12 (7)||–||55 (44)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||13-7-7 (27 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Florida||43-35-7-5 (90 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Florida at Home||25-16-2-1 (44 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||15-11-5 (31 Games)|
|Record vs. Atlantic Division||8-7-1 (16 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||12 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Wins||11 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Kerfoot – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||2 (Ceci, Engvall)|
|Blocked Shots||4 (Barrie)|
|Takeaways||2 (Dermott, Matthews)|
|Power Play TOI||4:32 (Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:32 (Ceci)|
|Shifts||25 (Holl, Hyman)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||78.6% (Muzzin – 22 for, 6 against)|
|Opponent scores first||9-15-6|
|Trail after 1||3-11-3|
|Lead after 2||20-2-2|
|Score one power play goal||9-6-4|
|Allow one power play goal||12-9-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 1-for-2 on the penalty kill and 1-for-3 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto allowed three shots on goal in the second period of tonight’s game, which ties the club’s season-low for shots against in a period.
- Frederik Andersen (upper body) left tonight’s game and did not return.
- Justin Holl started 33.3 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 22 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Muzzin had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 78.6 percent (22 for, 6 against).
- Wednesday, February 5, 7:30 p.m. at New York Rangers (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Friday, February 7, 7:00 p.m. vs. Anaheim Ducks (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, February 8, 7:00 p.m. at Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Tuesday, February 11, 7:00 p.m. vs. Arizona Coyotes (TSN, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, February 13, 7:00 p.m. vs. Dallas Stars (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)