TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (34-23-8 – 76 Points) vs.
FLORIDA PANTHERS (33-25-6 – 72 Points)
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2020
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Zach Hyman put the Maple Leafs on the board at 3:32 of the first period and later had the primary assist on Auston Matthews’ first period goal. Hyman’s first period goal was his 20th of the season, marking the second consecutive season he has reached the 20-goal mark. Tonight’s game is his eighth multi-point game of the season. He has six points (2-4-6) in three games against the Panthers in 2019-20. His 13 career points (5-8-13) in 17 career games against Florida is his highest point total against a single opponent.
- Kasperi Kapanen scored the secondary Toronto goal of the game at 17:43 of the first period. Kapanen has four points (2-2-4) over his last four games played. He has three points (1-2-3) in three games against the Panthers this season. He has recorded 21 (nine goals, 12 assists) of his 36 points on the road in 2019-20.
- Auston Matthews registered the primary assist on Hyman’s first period goal before adding the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 18:58 of the first period. Matthews has points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has recorded 22 points (13 goals, nine assists) in 21 games against Atlantic Division teams in 2019-20.
- William Nylander scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game at 9:00 of the third period. Nylander has points (3-3-6) in five consecutive games. His third period goal stood as the game-winning goal in tonight’s game giving him his team-leading seventh game-winner of the season, which is tied for the fifth-most game-winning goals in the NHL. In 32 games on the road this season, he has recorded 31 points (16 goals, 15 assists).
- Justin Holl picked up the secondary assist on Hyman’s first period goal and later scored the fifth Maple Leafs goal into an open net at 19:39 of the third period. Tonight’s game is his second multi-point performance of 2019-20. He has two assists over his last four games. He has recorded 10 of his 16 assists and 12 (2-10-12) of his 17 points on the road this season.
- Jason Spezza recorded the primary assist on Kapanen’s first period goal. Spezza has assists (2) in two consecutive games and has collected four assists over his last six games. He has registered 17 (5-12-17) of his 24 points on the road this season.
- Alex Kerfoot picked up the secondary assist on Kapanen’s first period goal. Kerfoot has three points (1-2-3) over his last four games. He has recorded 12 of his 19 assists on the road this season. In 18 games against Atlantic Division teams, Kerfoot has recorded 11 points (4-7-11).
- Mitch Marner had the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal. Marner has assists (2) in two consecutive games. He has five points (2-3-5) in three games against the Panthers this season. He has recorded 13 points (2-11-13) in 14 games during the month of February.
- Kyle Clifford recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Clifford has recorded all three of his points (1-2-3) as a Maple Leaf on the road since being acquired by Toronto. The assist is his 10th of the season, which ties his single-season career high set in 2018-19.
- Martin Marincin collected the secondary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Marincin has two assists over his last four games played.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 24 of the 27 shots he faced to earn his 27th win of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||9 (6)||14 (11)||6 (5)||–||29 (22)|
|FLORIDA||9 (8)||4 (4)||14 (9)||–||27 (21)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||16 (12)||22 (18)||16 (14)||–||54 (44)|
|FLORIDA||18 (16)||9 (9)||26 (20)||–||53 (45)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||18-14-1 (33 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Florida||44-35-7-5 (91 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Florida on the Road||19-19-5-4 (47 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||19-15-6 (40 Games)|
|Record vs. Atlantic Division||11-8-2 (21 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||11 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Wins||10 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Engvall – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Barrie, Marincin)|
|Power Play TOI||1:19 (Five players tied)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:00 (Dermott, Holl)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||71.4% (Sandin – 15 for, 6 against)|
|Opponent scores first||12-18-6|
|Tied after 1||15-6-4|
|Tied after 2||7-5-2|
|Do not score a power play goal||14-14-4|
|Do not allow a power play goal||20-8-4|
- The Maple Leafs went 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-1 on the power play tonight.
- Zach Hyman was on the ice for a team-high 22 shot attempts at 5-on-5 tonight. Hyman finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 50.0 (22 for, 22 against).
- Kasperi Kapanen did not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Auston Matthews won 71 percent (5 won, 2 lost) of his faceoffs when matched up against Florida forward Noel Acciari.
- Calle Rosen skated in his first game with the Maple Leafs since being reacquired by the club in a trade with Colorado on February 24.
- Saturday, February 29, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, March 3, 10:30 p.m. at San Jose Sharks (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Thursday, March 5, 10:30 p.m. at Los Angeles Kings (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050
- Friday, March 6, 10:00 p.m. at Anaheim Ducks (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, March 10, 7:00 p.m. vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (TSN4, TSN 1050)