MLB: Players make counteroffer to start delayed season, but owners expected to say no — Times-Standard

By RONALD BLUM NEW YORK — Baseball players moved toward teams but remained far apart economically in their latest proposal for starting the pandemic-delayed season, adamant they receive full prorated salaries while offering to cut the regular season to 89 games. The proposal by the players’ association, given to Major League Baseball electronically Tuesday evening…

MLB: Players make counteroffer to start delayed season, but owners expected to say no — Times-Standard

By RONALD BLUM

NEW YORK  — Baseball players moved toward teams but remained far apart economically in their latest proposal for starting the pandemic-delayed season, adamant they receive full prorated salaries while offering to cut the regular season to 89 games.

The proposal by the players’ association, given to Major League Baseball electronically Tuesday evening without a negotiating session, was detailed to The Associated Press by a pair of people familiar with the negotiations. They spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcements were authorized.

MLB did not appear to view the proposal as productive but made no comment. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reported that one ownership source’s reaction to the proposal was, “We’re nowhere.”

Players made their move one day after management cut its proposed schedule from 82 games to 76. The union proposed the regular season start July 10 and end Oct. 11 — the day before a possible Game 7 of the NBA Finals.

The union accepted MLB’s plan to expand the postseason from 10 teams to as many as 16. However, if management announces a schedule without an agreement, it would not be able to alter the established postseason format.

The players’ plan would have the World Series end in mid-to-late November, and players said they would accept MLB’s proposal to have the ability to shift postseason games to neutral sites.

Teams say they fear a second wave of the coronavirus and do not want to extend the World Series past October. Deputy Commissioner Dan Halem told the union a 76-game schedule could not be staged unless players agreed to a deal by Wednesday.

Players continue to insist on full prorated salaries as specified in the March 26 agreement between the perpetually feuding sides. The deal gave players service time in the event no games are played this year along with a $170 million salary advance.

MLB says that because the season likely would be played in empty ballparks without fans, the absence of gate-related revenue would lead to a loss of $640,000 for each additional game played, a figure the union questions. MLB’s proposal would guarantee players 50% of prorated salaries and another 20% if the postseason is completed, and teams would fund a $50 million pool for players’ postseason shares even if no or few tickets or sold. MLB also would forgive 20% of the salary advance.

Players had been set to earn about $4 billion in salaries this year before opening day was pushed back from March 26 due to the new coronavirus, and the union’s initial economic proposal on May 31 called for a 114-game schedule running through October and salaries totaling $2.8 billion. The shorter schedule in the new plan lowered the amount to about $2.2 billion.

MLB’s offer Monday was for just under $1.3 billion in salaries, but only about $1 billion would be guaranteed. The rest is contingent on the postseason’s completion.

Mike Trout and Gerrit Cole, the highest-paid players with $36 million salaries, would get $19,777,778 each under the union’s plan. MLB’s offer would guarantee each $8,723,967 with the chance to increase to $12,190,633 apiece if the postseason is completed.

A player at the $563,500 minimum would earn $309,577 under the union plan and up to $244,492 from MLB’s offer. Those at $1 million — about half those on current active rosters — would get $549,383 under the union proposal and up to $389,496 in the MLB formula.

A 50-game schedule with prorated salaries would total just over $1.2 billion and leave Cole and Trout at $11,111,111 each.

Players proposed that $5 million from joint management-union funds be marked toward supporting non-union minor leaguers and social causes. Players would agree to participate in events such as an offseason All-Star Game and/or Home Run Derby and to broadcast enhancements such as wearing microphones during games.

The union did not accept management’s offer to suspend free-agent compensation this offseason, which would eliminate the qualifying offers that cause some teams to decline to pursue players.

Players accepted MLB’s proposal that high-risk players could opt out of this season while receiving salary and service time, but that other players who opt

out would not receive salary or service time.

Report: MLBPA proposes 89-game season, expanded playoffs, full prorated salaries — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

The MLB players’ union sent another proposal to the owners, suggesting an 89-game regular season with expanded playoffs and full prorated salaries.

Report: MLBPA proposes 89-game season, expanded playoffs, full prorated salaries — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

TRAIKOS: Tavares determined to change his post-season narrative — Toronto Sun

With 24 teams in the mix for the Stanley Cup, the expectations might be different for the Toronto Maple Leafs when the post-season begins sometime this summer. But they haven’t changed one bit for John Tavares. Read More

TRAIKOS: Tavares determined to change his post-season narrative — Toronto Sun

Leafs’ Hyman speaks on racial equality, getting back on the ice following Masterton nod — Toronto Sun

As he gets his mind back to playing hockey this week, Zach Hyman’s thoughts aren’t far from what has been occurring on a global scale. Read More

Leafs’ Hyman speaks on racial equality, getting back on the ice following Masterton nod — Toronto Sun


Leafs’ Hyman speaks on racial equality, getting back on the ice following Masterton nod

Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Published:June 9, 2020

Updated:June 9, 2020 5:40 PM EDT

Filed Under:

As he gets his mind back to playing hockey this week, Zach Hyman’s thoughts aren’t far from what has been occurring on a global scale.

The Maple Leafs winger, announced on Tuesday as the club’s nominee for the 2019-20 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, said during a conference call with media that the increased demands for racial equality since the death of George Floyd two weeks ago have given him cause for contemplation.

“It’s something I have been thinking about for a pretty long time and I haven’t made a social media post because I want to make sure I get my thoughts out correctly,” Hyman said. “Personally, I don’t know what it feels like to be judged based on your colour, but I do know what it feels like to be judged based on your religion.

“I am Jewish, I have experienced anti-semitism, so I can empathize. For me, it’s pretty clear that racism and any type of judgment based on your race, religion or gender, is not tolerant.

“In hockey, especially in today’s world, we are making strides to try to make (equality and inclusivity) more of a possibility. I got married (last year), I’m planning to have kids, you want your kids to grow up in a better world than you grew up in. Hopefully, everyone can work together. I think you are seeing that, people educating themselves.”

There’s no argument — Hyman is deserving as the Leafs’ nominee, as voted by the Toronto chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, for the Masterton, which recognizes the NHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

Hyman, who turned 28 on Tuesday, regularly has been the Leafs’ hardest worker since making his NHL debut in 2015-16, and he took that up a few notches last season after making his his debut on Nov. 13 in New York against the Islanders following a recovery from off-season knee surgery.

Hyman didn’t miss another game before the NHL was paused on March 12 because of the COVID-19 pandemic and he tied his career high with 21 goals in 51 games. Had Hyman and the Leafs played their final 12 games, the Toronto native undoubtedly would have hit a career high in points, as he had 37, four shy of his personal best, when the season was halt

NASCAR Reveals Plans To Hold Select Races With Limited Number Of Fans — NESN.com

While many professional sports leagues in the United States still have yet to resume amid the COVID-19 pandemic, NASCAR soon will allow some fans to attend select races. The league’s plan begins with the Dixie Vodka 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway on June 14, where 1,000 South Florida service members will serve as honorary guests. They…

NASCAR Reveals Plans To Hold Select Races With Limited Number Of Fans — NESN.com

Russell Westbrook, Stanley Nelson Team for Tulsa Race Massacre Docuseries — Variety

After leading a Black Lives Matter protest against racial injustice over the weekend, NBA star Russell Westbrook is producing a project on “the single worst incident of racial violence in American history.” Westbrook is teaming with celebrated documentary filmmaker Stanley Nelson and “Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez” producer Blackfin for a series on…

Russell Westbrook, Stanley Nelson Team for Tulsa Race Massacre Docuseries — Variety

Touching Home with Kristi Hendriks — All About That Base

Kristi Hendriks is Oakland A’s pitcher Liam Hendrik’s wife. Kristi also is the Founder of For The Field Apparel. Liam has played for the Twins, Blue Jays, Royals, and the Oakland A’s. In 2019, Liam was a pitcher for the American League in the All Star Game. Fun Facts about Kristi She grew up with 17 […]

Touching Home with Kristi Hendriks — All About That Base

Lakers, Clippers can again begin plotting route in NBA championship pursuits — Press Telegram

As 22 NBA teams prepare to restart their engines July 31, L.A.’s two-pronged championship chase picks up anew — in accordance with a wildly unprecedented plan that’s being unfurled in the midst of the national uprising happening during a global pandemic. “Basketball offers no vaccine, no cure,” Paul George said as he narrated a video…

Lakers, Clippers can again begin plotting route in NBA championship pursuits — Press Telegram

Lakers’ Kyle Kuzma encourages education, voting, activism in fight against racism — Press Telegram

Kyle Kuzma is making his voice heard. The 24-year-old Lakers forward from Flint, Michigan, has in the past couple of days encouraged education, applauded local and national activism and stressed the value of voting as he’s added his thoughts to the discourse on racism and police abuse in the United States. He shared his perspective…

Lakers’ Kyle Kuzma encourages education, voting, activism in fight against racism — Press Telegram

Warriors’ Bob Myers on Klay Thompson’s recovery: ‘There hasn’t been a setback’ — Times-Standard

After the Warriors posted a league-worst record of 15-50, president of basketball operations Bob Myers prefers to look forward. “Watching our team lose 50 games was no fun,” Myers said on a conference call with reporters Monday. “I probably learned more this season than I have in the last five, as far as how to…

Warriors’ Bob Myers on Klay Thompson’s recovery: ‘There hasn’t been a setback’ — Times-Standard

Shake Milton should be in the starting lineup for the Sixers — The Liberty Line

Over the past season, Shake Milton became a bright spot in what turned out to be a disappointing year (so far) for the 76ers. Now that the season is set to resume with 8 games before the playoffs, Brett Brown has an easy move to make on his roster by giving Shake Milton a spot […]

Shake Milton should be in the starting lineup for the Sixers — The Liberty Line

WATCH: 1 YEAR AGO, Raptors take 3-1 NBA Finals stranglehold on Warriors — Toronto Sun

A year ago Sunday the Toronto Raptors responded to a tough NBA Finals loss at Oakland to seize full control over Golden State. Read More

WATCH: 1 YEAR AGO, Raptors take 3-1 NBA Finals stranglehold on Warriors — Toronto Sun