Add ramping up playoff intensity among retired NBA stars to the list of things Kyrie Irving has accomplished in recent days. Former New Jersey, now Brooklyn, Nets star Richard Jefferson called out Boston Celtics legend Kevin Garnett on Tuesday over his criticism of Irving’s infamous Boston Celtics logo stomp after Brooklyn beat Boston in Game […]Ex-Nets Star Calls Out Kevin Garnett Over Criticism Of Kyrie Irving’s Logo Stomp — NESN.com
MONTREAL CANADIENS (4-3) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (3-4)
MONDAY, MAY 31, 2021
- Tonight’s postgame transcript will be updated as it becomes available HERE.
- The final transcript will be posted to www.MapleLeafs.com/pressbox
ON THE SCORESHEET
- William Nylander put the Maple Leafs on the board at 18:24 of the third period. Nylander’s goal was his fifth of the series, which led Toronto. He led all Maple Leafs in points with eight (5-3-8) in seven games. He has 23 points (10 goals, 13 assists) in 32 career playoff games.
- Auston Matthews recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Matthews registered five points (1-4-5) in seven games this series. In 32 career playoff games, he has recorded 24 points (13 goals, 11 assists).
- Jason Spezza had the secondary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Spezza had points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He recorded five points (3-2-5) in seven games during the series. In 92 career postseason games, he has registered 75 points (28 goals, 46 assists).
- Jack Campbell stopped 20 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||12 (12)||6 (5)||5 (4)||–||23 (21)|
|TORONTO||8 (8)||6 (6)||16 (9)||–||30 (23)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||20 (20)||13 (11)||9 (7)||–||42 (38)|
|TORONTO||17 (17)||14 (14)||21 (11)||–||52 (42)|
- The Maple Leafs were 0-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Zach Bogosian started 25 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Auston Matthews won 71 percent (10 won, 4 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs. He was 8-for-12 (67%) in the faceoff circle against Montreal centre Phillip Danault.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 24 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 61.5 percent (24 for, 15 against).
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||9 (Hyman)|
|Faceoff Wins||15 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Simmonds – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||4 (Galchenyuk, Holl, Mikheyev)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Matthews)|
|Takeaways||2 (Brodie, Holl)|
|Power Play TOI||2:50 (Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||0:41 (Four players tied)|
|Shifts||29 (Marner, Matthews)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||68.8% (Thornton – 11 for, 5 against)|
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.