Ja Morant Morant summed up the ending this way: “Klay hit a big-time 3, and I missed the layup.”Warriors rally after Green ejected, make plays in clutch to beat Grizzlies in Game 1 — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
Day: May 2, 2022
BLUE JAYS 3, ASTROS 2
Postgame Notes for Sunday, May 1, 2022
HOUSTON ASTROS (11-11) at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (15-8)
R H E LOB Win: Gausman (2-1)
HOUSTON 2 8 1 6 Loss: Valdez (1-2)
TORONTO 3 3 1 2 Save: Romano (11)
First Pitch: 1:39 pm One-Run Games: 9-2 Temperature: 20°C/68°F
Last Pitch: 4:31 pm Extra-Inning Games: 1-1 Wind: N/A
Game Time 2:52 Comeback Wins: 7 Attendance: 31,802
BLUE JAYS NOTES:
• Won their 9th one-run game of the season (9-2), the most one-run wins in the Majors…Four of their
one-run wins have come against Houston…Improved to 15-8 overall this season and 9-4 at Rogers Centre
with their 7th comeback win of the year…Won their 6th series of the season, moving to 6-0-1 in series
play…The seven undefeated series to start the year ties a franchise record set in 1992…Have won
nine of their last 12 games…Went 4-2 against the Astros this year, the first time they’ve won a season
series against Houston since 2016 (5-2)…Are now 3-0 in rubber games in 2022 (9-10 in 2021).
• With Bichette’s 2-run home run in the 6th, the Blue Jays now boast six players with at least 10 RBI this
season, the most in the Majors (Guerrero Jr. – 16, Springer – 12, Chapman – 12, Espinal – 11, Gurriel Jr. –
10, Bichette – 10).
• KEVIN GAUSMAN tossed 7.0 innings of two-run ball, giving up six hits with no walks and a season-high 10
strikeouts…Became the 1st Blue Jays pitcher this season with a double-digit strikeout game…Has struck out
at least eight hitters in each of his last four starts…Induced a season-high 22 swing-and-misses on the
afternoon…Has faced 122 batters this season without issuing any walks or home runs.
• BO BICHETTE smacked his 3rd home run of the year, a 2-run shot to right in the 6th, breaking up Framber
Valdez’s no-hit bid…All three of his home runs this season have either tied the game or given the Blue Jays
the lead…Finished the day 1-for-4.
• SANTIAGO ESPINAL plated the game-winning run with a single in the 7th, part of a 1-for-3 effort…Hit safely
in five of six games against the Astros this season, going a combined 6-for-22 (.273) with two doubles, two
homers, and four RBI (.909 OPS).
• JORDAN ROMANO earned his 11th save of the season by pitching a scoreless 9th inning (1.0 IP, H, K)…At
the end of the game, his 11 saves were the most in the Majors.
• VINNY CAPRA made his MLB debut, going 0-for-2 with a strikeout while playing six innings in left field.
• Dropped to an even 11-11 on the season…Are now 9-7 away from Minute Maid Park…Their nine road wins
are still tied for the most in the Majors…Slipped to 2-4-1 in series play this year.
• FRAMBER VALDEZ went 5.1 no-hit innings before allowing a 2-run homer to Bo Bichette…Ended up going
6.1 innings, giving up three runs on two hits and two walks with a pair of strikeouts…Has gone at least 6.0
innings in three of his five starts this season…Surrendered a home run for the 1st time this season.
• KYLE TUCKER extended his hitting streak to seven games by singling in the 2nd…Has hit .520 (13-for-25)
with three doubles, two homers, and 11 RBI over his current hitting streak (1.380 OPS)…Finished the day
with two singles, a double, and two stolen bases, his 3rd 3-hit game of the year and his 3rd career game with
• ALEDMYS DÍAZ opened the scoring with an RBI single in the 6th…Also singled in the 8th, finishing the game
2-for-4, his 2nd multi-hit game of the season (also: 4/8 at LAA).
• CHAS McCORMICK notched his 1st career triple in the top of the 6th before coming around to score the
game’s opening run, part of a 1-for-4 afternoon…Has hit safely in each of his last four games against
Toronto, batting .353 (6-for-17) with two doubles, a triple, and two RBI (.988 OPS).
• NIKO GOODRUM single in the 5th before plating a run with a double in the 7th…Marked his 1st RBI of the
season and his 2nd multi-hit game.
HOME RUNS # Outs Type Field Count Off Inning Score Before
Bo Bichette 3 2 2R RF 1-1 Valdez 6th 0-1
UPCOMING PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS: (All Times Eastern)
Monday, May 2 vs. New York Yankees, 7:07 pm…RHP Ross Stripling (0-0, 3.60) vs. LHP Jordan Montgomery (0-1, 2.7)
Tuesday, May 3 vs. New York Yankees, 7:07 pm…RHP Alek Manoah (4-0, 1.44) vs. RHP Jameson Taillon (1-1, 3.26)
Wednesday, May 4 vs. New York Yankees, 7:07 pm…LHP Yusei Kikuchi (0-1, 5.52) vs. LHP Nestor Cortes (1-0, 1.31
Celtics go cold in 101-89 Game 1 loss to Milwaukee — Boston Herald
The Celtics did their job on Giannis Antetokounmpo, and still it wasn’t enough. Though the Bucks star had to labor for the scoring part of his triple-double (24 points, 9-for-25 FG, 13 rebounds/12 assists), Milwaukee was even better at mobbing and bumping Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown as the Celtics sank under duress in a…Celtics go cold in 101-89 Game 1 loss to Milwaukee — Boston Herald
Dominic Smith goes 4-for-4 as Mets beat Phillies for seventh consecutive series win — Boston Herald
As Buck Showalter likes to say: “Tell the baseball gods your plans and they’ll laugh in your face.” Dominic Smith may have been on the chopping block, but then he crushed too many baseballs to care. 684 more wordsDominic Smith goes 4-for-4 as Mets beat Phillies for seventh consecutive series win — Boston Herald
Celtics notebook: Brown, teammates move on from a rough afternoon — Boston Herald
As Jaylen Brown admitted, the Celtics got punched in the mouth during their Game 1 loss to Milwaukee on Sunday. The Celtics forward’s afternoon was fairly illustrative. 682 more wordsCeltics notebook: Brown, teammates move on from a rough afternoon — Boston Herald