TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (4-2-1 – 9 Points) vs. WASHINGTON CAPITALS (3-2-2 – 8 Points)
OCT. 16, 2019 ▪ 7:00 PM CAPITAL ONE ARENA, (WASHINGTON, DC) .
▪ TV: SPORTSNET ▪ RADIO: TSN 1050
MAPLE LEAFS HISTORY versus WASHINGTON ALL-TIME RECORD: 63-70-10-4
ALL-TIME on the ROAD: 25-43-4-3 2018-19: 2-1-0
LAST 5: 2-3-0 LAST 10: 4-5-1
MAPLE LEAFS CAREER LEADERS versus WASHINGTON
GAMES: Jason Spezza (40), John Tavares (37), Morgan Rielly (18) POINTS: Jason Spezza (38), John Tavares (32), Morgan Rielly (11)
GOALS: John Tavares (16), Jason Spezza (14), Mitch Marner (3), Auston Matthews (3) ASSISTS: Jason Spezza (24), John Tavares (16), Morgan Rielly (10)
PENALTY MINUTES: Jason Spezza (16), John Tavares (8), Morgan Rielly (4) MAPLE LEAFS – CAPITALS TEAM STATS
TORONTO WASHINGTON GOALS FOR (Rank): 28 (t-1st) 22 (t-9th) GOALS AGAINST (Rank): 23 (t-24th) 23 (t-24th) POWER PLAY [%] (Rank): 7/25 [28.0%] (8th) 6/27 [22.2%] (t-15th) PENALTY KILL [%] (Rank): 17/21 [81.0%] (16th) 21/25 [84.0%] (10th) SHOTS (Rank): 245 (t-2nd) 211 (9th) 5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank): 318 (2nd) 250 (8th) 5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank): 56.0% (1st) 52.3% (9th)
FACEOFF % (Rank): 53.1% (t-5th) 53.1% (t-5th) MAPLE LEAFS
– CAPITALS NOTES – Tonight’s game marks the 148th meeting between the Maple Leafs and Capitals. – The first matchup between the franchises took place on October 10, 1974 when the Maple Leafs defeated the Capitals by a 4-3 score in Washington.
– The Maple Leafs have a record of 63-70-10-4 in the previous 147 matchups between the clubs.
– The Maple Leafs have a record of 38-27-6-1 in 72 games in Toronto and a record of 25-43-4-3 in 75 games played on the road.
– Toronto’s last win over the Capitals in Washington came on October 13, 2018 (Toronto 4, Washington 2).
– Frederik Andersen played in his 300th career NHL game on February 21, 2019 vs. Washington. – William Nylander appeared in his 100th career NHL game on April 4, 2017 vs. the Capitals.
– John Tavares scored his 100th career NHL goal on March 9, 2013 against the Capitals and later skated in his 600th career NHL game on November 2, 2017 at Washington as a member of the New York Islanders.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS CATEGORY LEADER
GOALS 7 (Matthews) ASSISTS 9 (Rielly)
POINTS 9 (Marner, Rielly)
POWER PLAY POINTS 6 (Marner) SHORTHANDED POINTS N/A PIMs 8 (Kerfoot) SHOTS 32 (Matthews) FACEOFF WIN% 60.7% (Matthews) 5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % 70.6% (Spezza) BLOCKED SHOTS 16 (Ceci) TAKEAWAYS 7 (Tavares) HITS 15 (Muzzin) TOI PER GAME 24:10 (Rielly) PP TOI PER GAME 3:13 (Matthews) SH TOI PER GAME 3:25 (Ceci) MAPLE LEAFS NOTABLES – Frederik Andersen is tied for fourth among NHL goaltenders in saves made (151) through six starts this season.
– Tyson Barrie has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 57.5 percent, which is the highest mark among Toronto defencemen who have appeared in each game this season and the highest mark among NHL defencemen who have appeared in at least seven games.
– Cody Ceci is tied for eighth in the NHL in blocked shots (16). He is tied with Morgan Rielly for the lead in takeaways (4) among Maple Leaf defencemen.
– Frederik Gauthier has started 5.6 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest mark among NHLers who have appeared in at least five games. – Michael Hutchinson made one appearance against the Capitals last season as a member of the Florida Panthers, allowing one goal on 11 shots in 31:45 to earn a shootout victory on October 19, 2018.
– Andreas Johnsson has been on the ice for 12 Maple Leafs goals-for, which is tied for the second-most on-ice goals-for among NHL left wings, trailing only Nashville’s Filip Forsberg (14).
– Kasperi Kapanen is averaging 24.0 shifts per game, which is the eighth-most shifts per game among NHL right wingers.
– Alex Kerfoot has won 55.6 percent (20 won, 16 lost) of his faceoffs when the Maple Leafs are leading in games, which is the 15th-most faceoffs wins when leading in the NHL.
– Mitch Marner is tied for second among all NHL skaters in power play points with four (2-4-6). He is averaging 3.43 shots on goal per game through seven games this season. His career-high for shots on goal per game in a season prior to this season was 2.84 in 2018-19.
– Auston Matthews is second in the NHL in goals (7) and is tied for the NHL lead in even-strength goals (5) through seven games in 2019-20. He ranks second among NHL skaters in shots on goal (32). He has been on the ice for the second-most shot attempts-for (103) among NHL centres. – Ilya Mikheyev is tied for third in points among rookie skaters (2-3-5). He leads all rookies who have appeared in multiple games in shorthanded ice time per game (2:23).
– Trevor Moore is tied for the lead among NHL rookies in hits (13) and is tied for second among NHL rookies in takeaways (5).
– Jake Muzzin is averaging 29.9 shifts per game, which is the fourth-highest average among all NHL skaters. He has been on the ice for the most shot attempts-for of any skater in the NHL (133 Toronto shot attempts).
– William Nylander has taken his shots from an average distance of 24.2 feet from goal, which is the fourth-closest average among Toronto skaters. He had three assists in two games against Washington last season.
– Morgan Rielly registered four assists in the second period on October 15 vs. Minnesota to tie the franchise record for assists in a period set by Rick Vaive. He ranks eighth among Eastern Conference skaters in time on ice per game (24:10).
– John Tavares is eighth in the NHL in faceoffs taken (127) and is tied for fifth in faceoffs won (70) through seven games. His 36 offensive zone faceoff wins are the fourth-most in the NHL.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS – John Tavares has points (2-1-3) in three consecutive games.
– October 15: Morgan Rielly recorded his 200th career NHL assist. – October 12: Nick Shore scored his first goal as a Maple Leaf.
– Frederik Andersen is two games from 200 games as a Maple Leaf. – Michael Hutchinson is four wins from 50 career NHL wins.
– Auston Matthews is five assists from 100 career NHL assists
. INJURY REPORT – Travis Dermott (shoulder) is on injured reserve. – Zach Hyman (knee) is on injured reserve.
RECENT TRANSACTIONS – Oct. 14: Recalled defenceman Kevin Gravel from the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Loaned defenceman Rasmus Sandin to the Marlies