The Red Sox won the game, 2-1, but Vladimir Guerrero Jr. stole the show on Monday night. And even though the Sox ended up walking off twice to split the four-game series, 2-2, it was Guerrero who put together a personal highlight reel while reminding the baseball world that nobody is better than he is…Mastrodonato: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. owning the Red Sox is proof the Blue Jays are to be feared — Boston Herald
TORONTO BLUE JAYS 18, BOSTON RED SOX 4
Sunday, June 13, 2021 • Fenway Park, Boston, MA
RED SOX NOTES (39-27)
THE RED SOX have lost each of their last 2 games…Allowed a franchise-record 8 HR (previous: 7 HR, 4 times).
- Also allowed season highs in runs (18), hits (20), and XBH (11)…Last allowed 18+ runs on 7/25/19 vs. NYY (19-3).
- Have allowed 5+ HR in back-to-back games for the 1st time in franchise history (5 on Friday, 8 today)…Did not allow 3+ HR in a game through their first 64 games…Allowed just 43 HR in their first 59 games prior to allowing 21 HR in the last 7 games.
XANDER BOGAERTS (1-for-3, R, HR, RBI, BB) hit a solo HR in the 2nd inning, his 1st plate appearance after missing the previous 2 games (left knee soreness).
- Has homered in 2 of his last 3 games…His HR today had an exit velocity of 110.2 mph, his 2nd hardest hit HR in the Statcast era (112.1 mph, 7/25/19 vs. NYY).
- During his season-best 9-game hitting streak, is batting .412 with 5 XBH, 8 RBI, and a 1.126 OPS (13-for-34, 8 R, 3 2B, 2 HR, 4 BB).
BOBBY DALBEC (1-for-3, R, HR, RBI, BB) hit a solo HR in the 7th inning…Is 5-for-15 (.333) with 4 XBH and 4 RBI in his last 4 games, after a 3-for-38 stretch (.079).
- Exit velocities of Dalbec’s last 5 hits: 109.3 mph (single), 105.9 mph (double), 106.7 mph (HR), 100.9 mph (triple), and 108.1 mph (today’s HR).
KIKÉ HERNÁNDEZ (1-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI) hit a 2-run double in the 5th inning…Is 7-for-26 (.269) with 4 2B and a .345 OBP in his last 7 games (2 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB, HBP).
MARTÍN PÉREZ (1.1 IP, 6 H, 5 R, BB) tossed the 3rd-shortest start of his career…Lasted 0.2 IP on 9/26/12 and 1.0 IP on 7/28/15, both with TEX.
MARWIN GONZALEZ (1.0 IP/0-for-1) made his 1st career pitching appearance, tossing the 8th and 9th innings…This season, Gonzalez has pitched and played 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, and RF…The only other Red Sox to play each of those 7 positions in a season are Steve Lyons (1991) and Jack Rothrock (1928).
BLUE JAYS NOTES (33-30)
THE BLUE JAYS have won back-to-back games after losing 4 of their previous 5…Are 10-7 in their last 17 games following a season-long 6-game losing streak.
- Set season highs in runs (18), hits (20), HR (8), and XBH (11)…A franchise-record 7 Blue Jays hit at least 1 HR…Hit 5+ HR for the 4th time in 2021.
- Have hit 5+ HR in back-to-back games for the 3rd time in franchise history (also 8/12-14/20, 6/16-17/17)…Are the only team in the majors this season with 5+ HR in back-to-back games (previous: NYY 9/15-17/20, 3 games).
- Scored 4 runs in the 1st, 4th, and 5th innings, their 1st game with 4+ runs in 3 different innings since 8/26/16 vs. MIN (also 3 innings).
TEOSCAR HERNÁNDEZ (3-for-6, 2 R, 2B, 2 HR, 6 RBI) hit a pair of 3-run HR in his 11th career multi-HR game, 2nd of 2021 (also 5/12 at ATL)…Is the 1st Blue Jay with multiple 3-run HR in a game since Michael Saunders on 6/17/17 at BAL (2).
- Set a career high with 6 RBI…Is the 2nd Blue Jay with 6+ RBI in a game this year (Guerrero Jr., 4/27 vs. WSH, 7 RBI).
BO BICHETTE (4-for-5, 5 R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB, SB) had a season-high 4 hits, including a 3-run HR in the 5th…Recorded his 8th SB of the season, tied for the team lead.
- Tied a franchise record with 5 runs scored (5th occurrence, previous: Josh Donaldson, 5/26/15 vs. CWS).
ROBBIE RAY (6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 BB, 10 SO) recorded 10+ SO for the 2nd-straight start, 3rd time this season and 26th time in his career–4th most among active LHP….Is his first time with 10+ SO in back-to-back starts since 9/22-28/19.
- Has 86 SO over his last 10 starts, his most SO in a 10-game span since a career-high 87 from 6/30-9/15/17…The only Blue Jays with at least 86 SO in a 10-game span are Roger Clemens (25 times from 1997-98) and A.J. Burnett (2 times from 2006-08).
VLADIMIR GUERRERO JR. (3-for-5, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI) hit his MLB-leading 21st HR…Recorded 3+ hits for the 11th time this season, most in the majors…At the conclusion of today’s game, led the majors in HR (21), RBI (55), OBP (.450), SLG (.688), OPS (1.137), and total bases (154), and led the AL in AVG (.344)
Has homered in 3 consecutive games for the 2nd time in his career, both this season (also 5/13-16).
MARCUS SEMIEN (2-for-4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI) singled and scored in the 1st inning and hit a solo HR in the 2nd…Has homered in back-to-back games for the 1st time since 8/15-16/20…14 of his 15 HR this season have been hit while playing second base, the most at the position in the majors this season.
CAVAN BIGGIO (2-for-4, 2 R, 2B, HR, RBI, BB) homered in back-to-back games for the 2nd time in his career (also 8/30-31/19).
The Red Sox’ are scoring just 3.4 runs per game over their last eight games. A rare slump from all three sluggers in the middle of the order has been a glaring reason for their sudden lack of firepower. Here’s another: their table-setter hasn’t been setting the table. Kiké Hernandez has been anything but an…Red Sox Notebook: Kiké Hernandez not getting it done out of the leadoff spot — Boston Herald
Fenway Park wasn’t quite full on Saturday, but for the first time in exactly 20 months, it felt normal at the ballpark again. The roars of the crowd were noticeably louder with each Red Sox strikeout and hit, and the playing of “Sweet Caroline” during the eighth-inning stretch was sung with more energy than ever…Red Sox win bench coach Will Venable’s managerial debut as electric Fenway Park returns to full capacity — Boston Herald
The Boston Red Sox look to get back on track against the Toronto Blue Jays. Franchy Cordero returns to the Red Sox lineup for the second game of the Boston-Toronto series, which will take place Wednesday night in TD Ballpark in Dunedin, Fla. The Red Sox have lost two consecutive games, including Tuesday night’s 8-0 […]Red Sox Vs. Blue Jays Lineups: Franchy Cordero Returns; Hunter Renfroe Sits — NESN.com
The Red Sox will be playing in front of sold-out crowds at Fenway Park again this season — and much sooner than expected. After Gov. Charlie Baker announcement earlier Monday that COVID-19 restrictions will be lifted across Massachusetts starting on May 29 — and Boston Mayor Kim Janey’s decision to align with the state —…Fenway Park to return to full capacity on May 29, Red Sox ‘excited see Boston’s vibrancy restored’ — Boston Herald
Matt Barnes has been challenging hitters to handle his high-90s heaters and knee-bending curveballs all year. And until Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani came to town, it had been working wonderfully. 325 more wordsShohei Ohtani hits two-out, go-ahead homer off Matt Barnes in the ninth as Red Sox fall to Angels — Boston Herald
Don’t look down, just keep walking. If there’s a mantra to Nick Pivetta’s pitching career since joining the Red Sox via trade from the Phillies last August, that’s the one. 797 more wordsMastrodonato: How Red Sox starter Nick Pivetta has saved his career — Boston Herald
It’s probably a little soon to take a victory lap, but the Red Sox are clearly feeling good about themselves these days. What a turnaround this has been. 871 more wordsAlex Cora’s suggestion that Red Sox could be MLB’s best team is not as crazy as it sounds — Boston Herald
Fenway Park is inching closer back to normalcy. In an announcement made by Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker on Tuesday, the next phase of the state’s COVID-19 reopening plan includes the further increased capacity of sports venues from 12% to 25%, effective May 10. That means Fenway Park’s capacity will increase from about 4,500 fans to…Red Sox ‘super excited’ as Fenway Park set to increase capacity in May — Boston Herald
For as good as the Red Sox looked after their series-opening sweep of the Orioles, they’ve fallen back to earth. And on Saturday, they produced their worst all-around performance of the young season. Whether it was a subpar start from Nathan Eovaldi, a poor performance on defense, or not enough hitting, nothing went right for…Red Sox fall to Mariners in sloppy effort: ‘That wasn’t our best game’ — Boston Herald
If Garrett Richards could’ve gotten just one of those erratic fastballs in the strike zone, the Red Sox might’ve come away with a different result on Wednesday night. Unfortunately, Richards looks totally lost on the mound this year. To say he was erratic would be an understatement. A map of his scattered pitches on the…Red Sox lose to Blue Jays as the Garrett Richards experiment still isn’t working — Boston Herald