FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2019
Toronto: E. Korshkov (7) (Unassisted)
Goaltender: J. Woll (24/27)
Grand Rapids: F. Zadina (4) PP (M. Puempel, C. Terry), M. Puempel (7) PP (J. Hicketts, C. Terry), G. Smith (3) PP (M. Ford, J. Veleno), D. Turgeon (2) EN (G. Smith, B. Lashoff)
Goaltender: C. Pickard (23/24)
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Egor Korshkov opened the scoring at 3:49 of the first period. He has nine points (7 goals, 2 assists) through 11 games. He has scored the game’s first goal four times this season.
- Joseph Woll stopped 24 of 27 shots he faced. Woll is now 2-1-1-1 on the season with a 0.896 Save Percentage and a 3.31 Goals Against Average.
- Toronto was 3-for-6 on the penalty kill and was 0-for-6 on the power play.
- Grand Rapids had a 28-24 edge in shots in all situations. Jeremy Bracco and Pierre Engall led the Marlies with four shots on goal.
- The Marlies are 2-2-0-0 against Central Division opponents and are 0-1-0-0 against the Griffins. This is the first of four games this season against Grand Rapids. Toronto last played Grand Rapids on April 2, 2016, winning 6-3 on at home.
- The Toronto Marlies are on their annual Royal Road Trip where they will play seven away games from October 26 to November 9 as Coca-Cola Coliseum hosts the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair.
REGULAR SEASON LEADERS
- Goals: P. Aberg, E. Korshkov (7)
- Assists: J. Bracco (8)
- Points: P. Aberg (12)
- PPG: E. Korshkov (4)
- Shots: P. Aberg (38)
- +/-: B. Harpur (+11)
- PIMS: E. Korshkov,M. Read,J. Schmaltz (12)
- Toronto is 6-2-1-1 when scoring first.
- The Marlies are 4-1-1-1 when leading after the first period and 2-1-1-1 when tied after the second period.
- Toronto is 2-2-1-1 when outshot by their opponent.
- The Marlies are 2-1-0-0 in Friday games and are 1-2-0-1 in November.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
- No current point streaks
- Darren Archibald (forearm strain) did not play in tonight’s game against Grand Rapids.
- Adam Brooks (concussion) did not play in tonight’s game against Grand Rapids.
- Rasmus Sandin (illness) did not play in tonight’s game against Grand Rapids.
- November 8: Returned Nic Petan on loan from Toronto (NHL).
- November 5: Recalled forward Aaron Luchuk from to Newfoundland (ECHL).
- November 5: Recalled forward Giorgio Estephan from loan to Newfoundland (ECHL).
- November 5: Recalled forward Nic Petan from loan to Toronto (NHL).
- November 3: Returned forward Zach O’Brien on loan to Newfoundland (ECHL).
HEAD COACH SHELDON KEEFE
On special teams:
“Both never were in a good place. Statistically, they were in a good place but we were getting all sorts of luck which is what we were getting as a team for all of our results and in the standings. The reality is we’ve been outplayed the majority of every game we’ve played this season and it’s catching up to us now. Special teams are no different. The biggest issue of course is taking too many penalties. We’re playing against an elite power play today so giving them as many opportunities as we did especially with the game so close in the third period is unacceptable and, of course, our power play is pretty anemic. So, we need to get that fixed quickly. Obviously, Petan and Sandin are coming in tomorrow so those are two first shooter power play guys, that’s a number one centre and a number one defenceman that changes our team significantly so that will help of course but as coaches we’ve got to do a better job to prepare our team and more importantly, we’ve got to stay out of the penalty box … We’ve got to be competitive, we’ve got to give ourselves a chance to win, all areas of our game have to improve. We’ve got a chance to win here and get back at it tomorrow then a long week of practice to make some progress. Clearly, things have not been going well for quite some time. It’s 12 games into the season and it’s starting to catch up with us and the luck that we had in the early going.”
November 9 at Grand Rapids – 7:00 p.m. ET
November 16 vs Texas – 4:00 p.m. ET
November 17 vs Texas – 4:00 p.m. ET
November 20 vs Laval – 7:00 p.m. ET
November 23 vs Manitoba – 4:00 p.m. ET