TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (9-7-4 – 22 Points) vs.
NEW YORK ISLANDERS (13-3-1 – 27 Points)
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Kasperi Kapanen put the Maple Leafs on the board at 0:43 of the second period. Kapanen has scored four of his five goals on the road this season. He has seven points (4-3-7) in seven games against Metropolitan Division opponents in 2019-20.
- William Nylander scored the second Toronto goal of the night at 11:22 of the second period. Nylander has goals (4) and points (4-1-5) in three consecutive games. With a three-game goal streak, he has tied his career-long goal streak. He has eight points (4-4-8) in 11 career games against the Islanders.
- Justin Holl scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 18:13 of the third period. Holl has two points (1-1-2) over his last three games. Three (1-2-3) of his six points thus far in 2019-20 have come against Metropolitan Division opposition.
- John Tavares registered the primary assist on Kapanen’s second period goal and later scored the fourth Toronto goal of the night at 19:22 of the third period. Tavares has goals (2) and assists (2) in two consecutive games. His second period assist was his 100th point as a Maple Leaf. He has three multi-point performances over his last four games.
- Travis Dermott had the secondary assist on Kapanen’s second period goal. Dermott has two points (1-1-2) over his last three games. He has a goal and an assist in seven games this season, after recording 17 points (4 goals, 13 assists) in 64 games played in 2018-19.
- Andreas Johnsson recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Johnsson has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. Four of Johnsson’s seven assists have been primary assists.
- Jake Muzzin picked up the secondary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Muzzin has five points (2-3-5) in seven road games this season. Five of his seven assists have come against Metropolitan Division teams.
- Frederik Gauthier notched the primary assist on Holl’s third period goal. Gauthier has four points (2-2-4) in 20 games this season.
- Nick Shore had the secondary assist on Holl’s third period goal. Shore has two points (1-1-2) in 17 games this season. Both of his points have come on the road.
- Morgan Rielly registered the primary assist on Tavares’ third period goal. Rielly has six assists in eight road games this season. He has collected six assists in seven games against Metropolitan Division teams.
- Auston Matthews collected the secondary assist on Tavares’ third period goal. Matthews has assists (7) in three consecutive games and points (2-8-10) in five consecutive games. He has six assists and seven points in eight road games.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 25 of the 29 shots he faced in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||5 (5)||13 (13)||9 (8)||–||27 (26)|
|NEW YORK||9 (5)||6 (6)||15 (9)||–||30 (20)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||17 (15)||23 (23)||26 (20)||–||66 (58)|
|NEW YORK||11 (7)||14 (14)||21 (14)||–||46 (35)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||3-5-0 (8 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. New York||73-68-7-10 (158 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. New York on the Road||31-38-3-6 (78 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||5-5-4 (14 Games)|
|Record vs. Central Division||2-2-3 (7 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||4 (Barrie, Kapanen)|
|Shot Attempts||10 (Barrie)|
|Faceoff Wins||9 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||82% (Matthews – 9 won, 2 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Ceci)|
|Power Play TOI||2:30 (Rielly)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:44 (Ceci)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||85.7% (Petan – 18 for, 3 against)|
|Opponent scores first||6-6-3|
|Trailing after 1||3-5-1|
|Trailing after 2||0-4-1|
|Do not score on the power play||5-4-2|
|Allow multiple power play goals||1-2-1|
|Outshot by opponent||4-4-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 1-for-3 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Tyson Barrie was on the ice for a team-high 22 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 68.8 percent (22 for, 10 against).
- Zach Hyman played 17:37 over 23 shifts in his season debut following off-season surgery to repair a torn ACL.
- Auston Matthews won 80 percent (4 won, 1 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs tonight and was 4-for-5 (80%) in the faceoff circle against both New York centre Brock Nelson and New York centre Casey Cizikas, respectively.
- Friday, November 15, 7:00 p.m. vs. Boston Bruins (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, November 16, 7:00 p.m. at Pittsburgh Penguins (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, November 19, 10:00 p.m. at Vegas Golden Knights (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, November 21, 9:00 p.m. at Arizona Coyotes (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Saturday, November 23, 7:00 p.m. at Colorado Avalanche (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)