TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (9-9-4 – 22 Points) vs.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS (11-7-2 – 24 Points)
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Jason Spezza put the Maple Leafs on the board at 14:49 of the second period. Spezza has three points (2-1-3) over his last five games played. He has registered both of his goals on the road this season. In 46 career games against the Penguins, he has recorded 51 points (18 goals, 33 assists).
- Nic Petan registered the primary assist on Spezza’s second period goal. Petan has two assists in eight games with the Maple Leafs this season.
- Tyson Barrie had the secondary assist on Spezza’s second period goal. Barrie has six assists in 22 games this season. All of his assists have come against Eastern Conference opponents. He has nine points (4-5-9) in 10 career games against Pittsburgh.
- Kasimir Kaskisuo stopped 32 shots in the loss. Tonight’s game was his first career NHL game
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||16 (16)||6 (6)||11 (8)||–||33 (30)|
|PITTSBURGH||19 (12)||13 (13)||6 (5)||–||38 (30)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||26 (25)||14 (14)||25 (19)||–||65 (58)|
|PITTSBURGH||25 (14)||16 (16)||9 (8)||–||50 (38)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||3-6-0 (9 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Pittsburgh||83-79-17-7 (186 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Pittsburgh on the Road||37-47-6-4 (94 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||5-7-4 (16 Games)|
|Record vs. Metropolitan Division||2-3-3 (8 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||10 (Mikheyev)|
|Faceoff Wins||12 (Matthews, Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||80% (Matthews – 12 won, 3 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Ceci)|
|Power Play TOI||2:46 (Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:28 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||72.0% (Mikheyev – 18 for, 7 against)|
|Opponent scores first||6-8-3|
|Trailing after 1||3-7-1|
|Trailing after 2||0-6-1|
|Do not score on the power play||5-6-2|
|Allow one power play goal||3-5-3|
|Outshot by opponent||4-6-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 0-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- At 4:32 of the second period, video review determined the actions of Toronto’s Jake Muzzin caused Pittsburgh’s Brandon Tanev to contact goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo prior to Dominik Kahun’s goal. As a result, the call on the ice was overturned – Goal Pittsburgh.
- Mike Babcock coached his 1,300th career NHL game.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 25 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 69.4 percent (25 for, 11 against).
- Auston Matthews was 6-for-7 (86%) when taking offensive zone faceoffs and won 89 percent (8 won, 1 lost) of his draws against Pittsburgh centre Evgeni Malkin.
- Jason Spezza won 80 percent (4 won, 1 lost) of his faceoffs when matched up with Pittsburgh centre Joseph Blandisi.
- Tuesday, November 19, 10:00 p.m. at Vegas Golden Knights (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, November 21, 9:00 p.m. at Arizona Coyotes (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Saturday, November 23, 7:00 p.m. at Colorado Avalanche (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, November 27, 7:00 p.m. at Detroit Red Wings (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Friday, November 29, 4:00 p.m. at Buffalo Sabres (TSN4, FAN 590)