TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (12-11-4 – 28 Points) vs.
BUFFALO SABRES (12-10-4 – 28 Points)
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- John Tavares opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 18:54 of the first period before scoring Toronto’s second goal of the game at 1:21 of the second period. Tavares has goals (3) and points (3-1-4) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his first multi-goal performance of the season and sixth multi-point game of 2019-20. Last season, Tavares recorded at least one point in all four games against the Sabres and had multiple points on two occasions.
- Dmytro Timashov scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 6:50 of the third period. Timashov has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games, the first point streak of his NHL career. He has recorded all six of his points (2 goals, 4 assists) against Atlantic Division opponents.
- Kasperi Kapanen had the lone assist on Tavares’ second period goal and later scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game at 12:10 of the third period. Kapanen has assists (2) in two consecutive games and points (2-2-4) in four consecutive games. He leads the Maple Leafs in points on the road this season (6-7-13). Tonight’s game is his fourth multi-point performance of the season.
- Ilya Mikheyev registered the primary assist on Tavares’ first period goal. Mikheyev has assists (3) in two consecutive games. He has six assists over his last five games. All 17 (4-13-17) of Mikheyev’s points have come at even-strength this season. He has 10 points (3 goals, 7 assists) in 10 games against Atlantic Division opponents this season.
- Morgan Rielly picked up the secondary assist on Tavares’ first period goal and later had the secondary assist on Timashov’s third period goal. Rielly has assists (4) in two consecutive games. He ranks second among NHL defencemen in even-strength assists (13). Rielly has 10 assists in 14 games on the road this season. Tonight’s game is his fourth multi-assist and fifth multi-point performance of 2019-20.
- Jason Spezza recorded the primary assist on Timashov’s third period goal. Spezza has assists (3) in three consecutive games. He has six points (2-4-6) over his past six games played. Spezza has registered eight (3-5-8) of his 10 points in 10 road games this season.
- Nic Petan had the lone assist on Kapanen’s third period goal. Petan has three assists in 12 games played this season.
- Michael Hutchinson stopped 30 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||12 (10)||6 (2)||11 (8)||–||29 (20)|
|BUFFALO||13 (12)||13 (9)||10 (7)||–||36 (28)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||23 (19)||10 (3)||18 (15)||–||51 (37)|
|BUFFALO||17 (16)||17 (11)||14 (11)||–||48 (38)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||6-8-0 (14 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Buffalo||81-105-18-11 (215 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Buffalo on the Road||32-65-6-6 (109 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||6-8-4 (18 Games)|
|Record vs. Atlantic Division||4-5-1 (10 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||4 (Matthews, Muzzin, Nylander)|
|Shot Attempts||8 (Muzzin)|
|Faceoff Wins||10 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Hyman – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Matthews)|
|Power Play TOI||6:04 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:28 (Ceci, Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||80% (Timashov – 4 for, 1 against)|
|Lead after 1||5-2-1|
|Trail after 2||0-7-1|
|Do not score a power play goal||5-7-2|
|Do not allow a power play goal||7-3-0|
|Outshot by opponent||5-8-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 2-for-2 on the penalty kill and 0-for-4 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto forwards Pierre Engvall, Frederik Gauthier, Zach Hyman and Dmytro Timashov were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Auston Matthews won 71 percent (5 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone draws.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 18 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Muzzin finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 58.1 percent (18 for, 13 against).
- Saturday, November 30, 7:00 p.m. vs. Buffalo Sabres (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, December 3, 7:00 p.m. at Philadelphia Flyers (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, December 4, 7:00 p.m. vs. Colorado Avalanche (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Saturday, December 7, 7:00 p.m. at St. Louis Blues (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, December 10, 10:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (TSN4, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.