RAPTORS NOTES • The Toronto Raptors play the second game of a back-to-back set Wednesday night when they face the Hornets in Charlotte at Spectrum Center. The Raptors have won six of the last eight games against the Hornets, including the first meeting this season. OG Anunoby scored a career-high 24 points and Chris Boucher posted a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds in a 132-96 victory Nov. 18 in Toronto.
• Serge Ibaka recorded his sixth straight double-double (Dec. 28 – Jan. 7) with 17 points and a team-high 11 rebounds in 32 minutes Jan. 7 vs. Portland, one game shy of the longest streak of his career. Ibaka leads the Raptors with 10 double-doubles this season. All 10 of Ibaka’s double-doubles have come in the last 15 games (Dec. 9 – Jan. 7). He is averaging 18.2 points and 11.2 rebounds over the last six games. Ibaka posted a double-double in a career-long seven consecutive games last season (Jan. 22 – Feb. 5, 2019).
• The Raptors are 2-3 (.600) this season in the second game of a back-to-back set. Toronto is averaging 100.2 points and shooting .424 (184-434) from the field, including .326 (59-181) from three-point range, with zero days rest. Toronto was 9-3 (.750) in the second game of a back-to-back last season.
• Kyle Lowry recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 24 points and 10 assists in 38 minutes Tuesday night vs. Portland. Lowry has dished out five or more assists in each of his 26 games this season, the longest single-season streak of that kind in his career. The only other players who had at least five assists in 25 straight games within a season for the Raptors are Damon Stoudamire (40-game streak in 1995–96) and Jose Calderon (25-game streak in 2007–08 and 44-game streak in 2010–11).
• Toronto matched a season high with 17 offensive rebounds Jan. 7 vs. Portland. In his second start of the season, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson grabbed a team-high five offensive boards against the Trail Blazers. Hollis-Jefferson currently ranks second on the Raptors with 67 offensive rebounds, behind Chris Boucher (70). Toronto has collected at least 10 offensive rebounds in each of the last four games (Dec. 31 – Jan. 7); averaging 13.8 offensive boards during this span.
• Pascal Siakam (groin; stretch), Fred VanVleet (right hamstring; strain), Norman Powell (left shoulder; subluxation) and Marc Gasol (left hamstring; strain) have accounted for 44 per cent of Toronto’s total points this season (1800-of-4087) despite missing a combined 36 games due to injury.
• Matt Thomas contributed eight points and six rebounds in 15 minutes off the bench Tuesday against the Trail Blazers. Thomas returned to the lineup after missing the previous 21 games (Nov. 25 – Jan. 4) with a fracture in his left middle finger. Thomas is shooting 50 per cent (16-32) from beyond the arc this season.
• CHARLOTTE CONNECTIONS: Hornets centre Bismack Biyombo averaged 5.5 points and 8.0 rebounds in 82 games during his lone season in Toronto (2015-16) … Biyombo helped the Raptors reach the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time … Charlotte assistant coach Jay Triano spent nine seasons (2002-11) in the Raptors organization, serving as an assistant coach before being named interim head coach Dec. 3, 2008 … Triano was promoted to head coach at the end of the season … Hornets assistant coach Nate Mitchell spent three seasons (2015-18) as an assistant with Raptors 905, Toronto’s G League affiliate.
F – OG ANUNOBY #3
MIN: 29.8 REB: 5.9 AST: 1.6 STL: 1.1 TO: 1.3 BLK: 0.8 PTS: 10.9
• Contributed eight points, six rebounds and one block in 30 minutes Jan. 7 vs. Portland. • Toronto is 15-4 this season when Anunoby scores 10 or more points. • Shooting a career-best .489 (156-319) from the field, has shot at least 50 per cent from the floor in 19 games.
F – RONDAE HOLLIS-JEFFERSON #4
MIN: 20.6 REB: 5.3 AST: 1.6 STL: 0.9 TO: 1.0 BLK: 0.4 PTS: 8.6
• Made second start of the season Jan. 7 vs. Portland; finished with eight points and six rebounds in 25 minutes. • Averaging 11.0 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 26.4 minutes in two starts this season. • Has scored in double figures 12 times, including five times in the last 10 games (Dec. 20 – Jan. 7).
C – SERGE IBAKA #9
MIN: 25.9 REB: 8.3 AST: 1.2 STL: 0.4 TO: 2.0 BLK: 0.9 PTS: 14.6
• Recorded team-leading 10th double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds in 32 minutes Dec. 7 vs. Portland. • Averaging 17.3 points, 9.9 rebounds and 31.7 minutes in 10 games as a starter. • Shooting .500 (74-148) from the field on the road, including 36 per cent from three-point range (9-25).
F – PATRICK McCAW #22
MIN: 26.9 REB: 2.6 AST: 1.9 STL: 1.3 TO: 1.1 BLK: 0.1 PTS: 6.1
• Totaled six points, four rebounds, three assists and three steals in 36 minutes Jan. 7 vs. Portland. • In 10 starts this season, averaging 8.0 points, 2.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 30.2 minutes. • Has played at least 20 minutes in a career-long 13 straight games (Dec. 14 – Jan. 7).
G – KYLE LOWRY #7
MIN: 38.3 REB: 4.7 AST: 7.5 STL: 1.1 TO: 3.0 BLK: 0.5 PTS: 21.0
• Posted fifth double-double of the season with team highs of 24 points and 10 assists Jan. 7 vs. Portland. • Has made at least two three-pointers in 13 straight games (Dec. 14 – Jan. 7); totaled 46 threes during this span. • Has scored 20+ points 17 times; something he did 15 times in 65 games last season.
INJURY REPORT Marc Gasol (Left hamstring; strain) – Out Dewan Hernandez (Right ankle; sprain) – Out Norman Powell (Left shoulder; subluxation ) – Doubtful Pascal Siakam (Groin; stretch) – Out Fred VanVleet (Right hamstring; strain) – Out
LAST GAME’S STARTERS
0 MILES BRIDGES F • 6-6 • 225 • Michigan State PPG • 12.1 RPG • 5.5 APG • 1.8 Drafted 12th overall in the 2018 NBA Draft Scored a career-high 33 points along with a career-best 13 rebounds at WAS on 11/22 Scored 14 points with six rebounds, three steals and a block in his first career start vs. WAS on 2/22/18
25 PJ WASHINGTON F • 6-7 • 236 • Kentucky PPG • 12.6 RPG • 5.4 APG • 1.9 Scored a franchise-record 27 points in his NBA debut on 10/23 Made an NBA-record seven threes in his first career game Drafted 12th overall in the 2019 NBA draft
8 BISMACK BIYOMBO C • 6-8 • 255 • Baloncesto Fuenlabrada PPG • 8.0 RPG • 5.9 APG • 0.8 Averaging 8.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in 22 games as a starter this season In his second stint in Charlotte after being drafted by the Bobcats in 2009
4 DEVONTE’ GRAHAM G • 6-1 • 195 • Kansas PPG • 19.1 RPG • 3.8 APG • 7.8 Recorded a career-high 40 points at BKN on 12/11 Averaging a career-high 7.8 assists per game, ranking 6th among all players in the NBA this season.
3 TERRY ROZIER G • 6-1 • 195 • Louisville PPG • 18.0 RPG • 4.4 APG • 4.4 Acquired by the Hornets on July 6, 2019 Spent first four seasons with the Boston Celtics Averaging career highs in points, assists, steals, threes per game
SCARY TERRY In Charlotte’s loss to Indiana on 1/6 Terry Rozier led the team with 28 points and six assists. Rozier has scored 25-or-more points in three-straight games (1/2 – 1/6), a career-best streak of such games. Rozier is averaging 21.2 points over his last five games, compared to his 18.0 ppg on the season. The first year Hornet is averaging a career-high in points (18.0), assists (4.4) and steals (1.2) per game and has improved his three-point shooting. He is taking a career-high 6.7 three-point attempts this season and shooting a career-best 39.1% from three, making 2.6 per game.
DISHING DEVONTE’ Graham is averaging 7.8 assists per game, ranking sixth among all players in the league this year and third among all second-year players. Graham’s assists are creating 19.8 points per game, ranking sixth in the league. In the Hornets’ 1/4 win over the Mavericks Devonte’ Graham recorded his team-best 12th double double of the season with 27 points, 13 assists, two rebounds, one steal and one block. Graham has notched a double double in five of his last seven outings. His 12 double doubles on the season rank third among all guards in the NBA (tied with Rubio and Westbrook).
e second-highest percentage among all players attempting 3-or-more catch-and-shoot threes per game (min. 10 games).
DOUBLE DOUBLES IN DALLAS In the Hornets victory over the Mavericks on 1/4, three Hornets players recorded double doubles. Miles Bridges scored 11 points and a season-high 11 rebounds. Bismack Biyombo scored 11 points and brought down a team-high 13 rebounds and Devonte’ Graham added 27 points and dished 13 assists in the win.
BLOCK PARTY In Charlotte’s loss to Boston on 12/31 Hornets rookie PJ Washington scored 15 points along with five rebounds, three assists and a block. Washington recorded a block in nine-straight appearances (12/4 – 12/31), the longest streak of such games by any rookie in the NBA this season.
ELITE COMPANY Through his first 34 games of the season (10/23 – 12/29) Devonte’ Graham totaled 128 three pointers and 259 assists. He joins James Harden (2x) as just the second player in NBA history to total 125-or-more threes and 250-or-more assists through the first 35 games of a season.
UNDER CONTROL In Charlotte’s 12/22 loss to the Celtics Devonte’ Graham recorded 23 points, ten assists and zero turnovers. Graham is just the seventh player in franchise history to record 20-plus points and 10-plus assists while committing zero turnovers in a single game. He is the fifth player to record such a game in the NBA this season (James, Butler, Rubio, VanVleet).