Pitcher Bartolo Colon turns 47 on Sunday, but he still has the drive to compete in Major League Baseball. He told ESPN’s Marly Rivera he wants to pitch one more season in the majors, ideally with the Mets.
Colon has pitched in the majors for parts of 21 seasons with 11 different teams. He spent 2014-16 with the Mets, helping the club reach the World Series in ’15. Colon said, “If it was up to me, I would retire with the Mets. I would like my career to end in New York.”
The veteran did not pitch in 2019, coming off a disappointing ’18 campaign with the Rangers. He made 24 starts and four relief appearances, posting a 5.78 ERA with 81 strikeouts and 25 walks over 146 1/3 innings. It does not seem like the Mets have room in the rotation for Colon, even after losingNoah Syndergaard to Tommy John surgery. If the season were to start today, the rotation would feature Jacob deGrom, Marcus Stroman, Rick Porcello, Steven Matz, and Michael Wacha.
Colon has built something of a cult following in the late stages of his career due to his age and atypical body. Syndergaard dubbed him “Big Sexy.” He could be generously described as a fringe Hall of Fame candidate, currently sitting on 247 wins and 2,535 strikeouts. He has a 4.12 ERA and 47.8 Wins Above Replacement, per Baseball Reference, over 3,461 2/3 innings.
Rejoice, sports fans, their return to California may not be far off. Well, maybe. Gov. Gavin Newsom said the state is eyeing the first week of June to begin to allow live pro sporting events, as well as “a number of other sectors” of the economy, “if we hold these trend lines.” But upon being…
The Queen’s Plate will be served up on Saturday Sept.12.
North America’s oldest continuously run horse race was originally scheduled to take place on June 27 but was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, with the Ontario government last week announcing a framework to gradually reopen the province, Woodbine Entertainment set a plan in motion to start thoroughbred race — without spectators — on June 6 at Woodbine Racetrack in Etobicoke (and June 5 for harness racing at Woodbine Mohawk in Milton).
The Victoria Day announcement that the $1 million Queen’s Plate will be run this year comes as welcome news for action-starved horse players, not to mention those in the racing industry.
“The history of The Queen’s Plate is so rich and the fact that it’s been held every year since the inaugural race in 1860 is remarkable,” said Woodbine Entertainment CEO Jim Lawson. “We are honoured to be able to continue this rich history in face of adversity by hosting the race for the 161st consecutive year.”
As part of the preparations for The Queen’s Plate, the Woodbine Oaks presented by Budweiser and The Plate Trial will be held on Saturday, August 15. WE’s full thoroughbred stakes schedule is expected to be announced on May 20.
The Woodbine backstretch has remained open for essential workers throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and last week jockeys were allowed back on site to breeze horses. Timed training and gate training has also started at the track.
All the activities at the backstretch are being conducted with strict safety protocols in place, such as the wearing of face masks, social distancing and having everyone’s temperature taken when they arrive at the track.
Kemba Walker spent eight seasons with the Charlotte Hornets. So naturally, he learned quite a bit from owner Michael Jordan. The Boston Celtics star blossomed in Charlotte, going from 12.1 to 25.6 points per game in nearly a decade with the squad. Walker says he learned a lot from Jordan during his first several seasons…
The Clippers announced Sunday evening that they will be the latest NBA team to reopen their practice facility on a limited basis, opening the doors at the Honey Training Center in Playa Vista on Monday for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic suspended the NBA season March 11 and subsequently shuttered team practice facilities.…
Miles Bridges may have taken the long-standing bait from one of the NBA’s best-ever trash talkers. The Charlotte Hornets forward responded to a five-year-old comment from team owner and NBA legend Michael Jordan, when Jordan said he was “pretty sure” he could beat players on his team in a game of one-on-one. Jordan even threw…