Report: Trevor Bauer feels marginalized by MLBPA — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer recently expressed displeasure with the MLBPA’s tactics in negotiations with MLB ownership over the 2020 season.

Report: Trevor Bauer feels marginalized by MLBPA — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

In a lengthy column on the state of relations in Major League Baseball, SNY’s Andy Martino included an interesting piece of information: Reds pitcher Trevor Bauer and Rockies infielder Daniel Murphy constitute a small subsection of the MLB Players Association membership that feels marginalized for having a differing opinion from the majority.

Earlier this week Bauer expressed some “both sides” sentiment on Twitter about the protracted negotiations between MLB ownership and the union. MLB’s 60-game proposal was overwhelmingly shot down by the union. 38 members in total voted.

Bauer wrote, “It’s absolute death for this industry to keep acting as it has been. Both sides. We’re driving the bus straight off a cliff. How is this good for anyone involved?” In a follow-up tweet, Bauer said, “We’re doing irreparable damage to our industry right now over rules that last AT MOST 16 months. WTF kind of sense does that make?” Bauer also added, “I have so much more I want to say about this whole thing but out of respect to my fellow players I’m going to continue holding my tongue. If any of you would like to talk about it please hit me up privately.” Bauer went on to have two very public arguments with Aubrey Huff and Curt Schilling on Twitter.

Bauer has always marched to the beat of his own drum. He was one of the first players to truly welcome analytics with open arms. He has repeatedly said he will never sign a multi-year contract, instead going year-to-year to both maximize his earning potential and to limit the risk taken on by other teams. He has injured himself with drones on multiple occasions. He’s gone after MLB’s antiquated arbitration system. He has also repeatedly gone after some of his mildest critics. That Bauer would step out of line with the union that represents his best interests has always been the modal outcome.

To be clear, the MLBPA is not above criticism and, in fact, has been deserving of criticism for quite some time. It’s not Bauer’s specific criticism that is the issue here, however; it’s that he’s airing his grievances publicly at a time the union is trying to galvanize solidarity within its ranks and will continue to be engaged with the owners in negotiations over the next 17 months leading up to the expiry of the current collective bargaining agreement. In-fighting has been the downfall of many a union. It reduces bargaining power, weakens solidarity, and can be distracting for the representatives as well as the members they represent.

The MLBPA represents over a thousand active players. They will never reach 100 percent agreement among its membership. There will always be conflict and disagreement. However, the union democratically arrived at the conclusion that an overwhelming majority wanted to reject MLB’s deal, which is why 33 of 38 (87%) representatives voted against it. If Bauer still feels strongly about the issue, he can privately discuss it with MLBPA leadership and his peers to try to change their minds. Bauer complaining on social media and leaking details to members of the media is the wrong way to go about the issue. It is self-sabotage.

Follow @Baer_BillTags: Daniel MurphyTrevor Bauer

Vancouver Out As Potential NHL Return Hub City, Canucks Announce — NESN.com

Another city was taken off the short list for consideration to become one of two hub cities for the National Hockey League’s return-to-play plan. The Canucks confirmed on Thursday that Vancouver was out of the running via Twitter. “From the beggining, our goal was to help the NHL get hockey back on the ice if…

Vancouver Out As Potential NHL Return Hub City, Canucks Announce — NESN.com

Twins president Derek Falvey: A ‘few’ players have tested positive for COVID-19 — Sportress of Blogitude

Minnesota Twins president of baseball operations Derek Falvey told reporters Thursday that a “few” players in the organization have tested positive for COVID-19.

Twins president Derek Falvey: A ‘few’ players have tested positive for COVID-19 — Sportress of Blogitude

George Floyd’s death brings back painful memories for NBA’s Thabo Sefolosha — Aadel Haleem

‘It seems like a culture where they just cultivate bad apples,’ Houston Rockets’ Thabo Sefolosha says the police killing of George Floyd brought back painful memories. The 36-year-old NBA veteran was a victim of police brutality in 2015, resulting in a broken leg and torn ligaments

George Floyd’s death brings back painful memories for NBA’s Thabo Sefolosha — Aadel Haleem

Nic Claxton undergoes successful shoulder surgery, won’t join Nets at Disney — Nets Wire

Nic Claxton underwent successful arthroscopic on his left shoulder and will not be available for the Brooklyn Nets at Disney.

Nic Claxton undergoes successful shoulder surgery, won’t join Nets at Disney — Nets Wire

Former Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield tests positive for COVID-19, per report — Sooners Wire

Oh no, Buddy. Former Oklahoma star Buddy Hield spends quite a bit of his offseason back in the state of Oklahoma to train and get ready for (…)

Former Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield tests positive for COVID-19, per report — Sooners Wire

4 Kings players test positive for COVID-19, source says — KRON4

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) — Four Sacramento Kings players, including forward Jabari Parker, have tested positive for COVID-19, a source within the team has confirmed. In a release sent by the team Wednesday, Parker said “several days” prior he tested positive for the virus and has self-isolated in Chicago. Parker is a Chicago native. “I am […]

4 Kings players test positive for COVID-19, source says — KRON4

Ex-Boston Red Sox Manager, Executive Eddie Kasko Dies At Age 88 — NESN.com

A familiar face from the Boston Red Sox family has passed away. The team announced Wednesday night that Eddie Kasko has died at age 88. His 89th birthday was just three days away. Kasko spent 29 seasons in the Red Sox organization, first as a player in 1966 before becoming a minor league manager from…

Ex-Boston Red Sox Manager, Executive Eddie Kasko Dies At Age 88 — NESN.com

Red Sox Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Remains Asymptomatic — NESN.com

COVID-19 has struck the Boston Red Sox one month before Major League Baseball is set to return. Chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom announced Wednesday during a Zoom conference call that a member of the team’s 40-man roster has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to The Boston Globe’s Alex Speier and MassLive’s Chris Cotillo. The…

Red Sox Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Remains Asymptomatic — NESN.com

Red Sox’s Sam Kennedy Believes MLB Has Resources To Overcome COVID-19 Outbreak — NESN.com

Major League Baseball and its players union on Tuesday night agreed on a return-to-play plan that entails a 60-game season and an extensive list of health and safety protocols. The extra measures certainly are necessary, as multiple teams around the league have reported players and staffers alike to have tested positive for COVID-19. And with…

Red Sox’s Sam Kennedy Believes MLB Has Resources To Overcome COVID-19 Outbreak — NESN.com

Major League Baseball and its players union on Tuesday night agreed on a return-to-play plan that entails a 60-game season and an extensive list of health and safety protocols. The extra measures certainly are necessary, as multiple teams around the league have reported players and staffers alike to have tested positive for COVID-19. And with spiking numbers of new cases reported in Florida and Arizona, teams will remain in their home markets for training camp. But, just like every other sport currently plotting out their returns, the possibility of a large outbreak of the virus raises important questions about whether or not the league can continue on. Sam Kennedy, however, thinks MLB has the pieces in place to continue play in that scenario. The president and CEO of the Boston Red Sox on Wednesday held a conference call with reporters, where he said he expects to see plenty of positive coronavirus tests across the league, and feels MLB has the resources to combat it, via Julian McWilliams of the Boston Globe. #RedSox President Sam Kennedy said they do expect positive Covid tests across he league but they believe they have the resources to be able to combat it. — Julian McWilliams (@byJulianMack) June 24, 2020

“Baseball is exactly the right thing now for our country,” Kennedy said, via NBC Sports Boston’s Raul Martinez. “We have the most robust health and safety protocol in all of North American Sports.” #RedSox president Sam Kennedy. “Baseball is exactly the right thing now for our country.” He added “we have the most robust health and safety protocol in all of North American sports.” — Raul Martinez (@RaulNBCBoston) June 24, 2020 At least, thinks look optimistic for the Red Sox in Massachusetts, where  numbers of new cases of COVID don’t match surging trends in other southern states.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/06/red-soxs-sam-kennedy-believes-mlb-has-resources-to-overcome-covid-19-outbreak/

Positive coronavirus tests among NHL players don’t make Leafs’ Spezza less optimistic — Toronto Sun

In the bubble, Jason Spezza will trust. Read More

Positive coronavirus tests among NHL players don’t make Leafs’ Spezza less optimistic — Toronto Sun

In the bubble, Jason Spezza will trust.

That’s if the National Hockey League successfully advances to Phase 4 of its Return to Play plan in the midst of the COVID-19 global pandemic.

Spezza, the veteran Maple Leafs forward whose rosy outlook and experience carried considerable weight in the dressing room during the 2019-20 regular season, remains confident that the NHL is on the right track to resume games, even with the news late last week that 11 NHL players have tested positive for the coronavirus.

“There’s lots of people everywhere testing positive,” Spezza said on Tuesday during a Zoom call with media. “As players, we realize there is going to be some risk of a positive test.

“I put trust in the league and the PA (NHL Players’ Association) that we’re going to come up with a bubble scenario that will keep everybody safe. The biggest challenge would be getting to that point, because we’re not in a bubble scenario right now.”

The NHL announced five days ago that the 11 positive tests had resulted from the 200-plus NHL players who had been tested since June 8, when team facilities were permitted to open for voluntary training. Postmedia’s Steve Simmons reported that one of those players who had a positive test result was Leafs centre Auston Matthews, who has remained at his off-season home in Arizona to train.

“It probably becomes a bit of a reality check for making sure that everybody is doing everything possible hygiene-wise to make sure we are not spreading it,” Spezza said, speaking of the positive tests in general.

“We knew there was going to be positive tests. It’s probably good there has some positive tests because it gives us some practice on how to deal with it.”

Spezza has been enjoying the workouts at the Ford Performance Centre, skating in a group that includes forwards Kyle Clifford and Kasperi Kapanen, defenceman Calle Rosen and goaltender Eamon McAdam, a former Leafs farmhand who played for Adirondack of the ECHL last season.

As much as Spezza is glad to be back on the ice with an eye toward starting Phase 3 and training camp on July 10, the 37-year-old has taken full advantage of the NHL pause to spend as much time as possible with his wife Jennifer and their four daughters at their Toronto home. To that end, the family has been preparing for the idea that Spezza potentially will be away for at least several weeks, living in the Phase 4 bubble in one of the NHL’s two hub cities once the post-season starts.

“We have had family conversations about it and it’s not going to be easy, especially after having three months of probably the best family quality time I’ve ever had with my kids and wife,” Spezza said. “It’s going to be a big adjustment and there will be some tears involved.

“They understand that Daddy has a dream of trying to win a Stanley Cup and there are not too many more years left. It’s a big family sacrifice and they are on board with it.”

Spezza has been sticking close to home during the pandemic, noting that the Leafs have been helpful in ensuring players and their families have the resources to be safe.

At the same time, players will have to fight the temptation to get some normalcy back in their lives, especially with the NHL determined to hold the playoffs and eventually award the Stanley Cup.

“My bubble is pretty tight as it is and there is not a whole lot of going out and doing things,” Spezza said. “Most of my time has been spent going on walks with the kids, playing outside.

“I have avoided stores. The team did a phenomenal job in helping us with groceries and really doing everything possible to make sure we don’t have to be exposed if we absolutely don’t have to be.

“One of the biggest challenges for players is that as everything around us starts opening up, we almost have to tighten up because we’re going back to play and that is going to be an adjustment for us.

“We have to probably be a little more careful as we get close to training camp.”

tkoshan@postmedia.com