BLUE JAYS STATEMENT

media@bluejays.com | bluejayspressbox.com | @BlueJays

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto, Ontario

July 18, 2020

BLUE JAYS STATEMENT ON 2020 SEASON HOME

The Toronto Blue Jays extend its sincerest thanks to Mayor Tory, the City of Toronto, and Toronto Public Health; Premier Ford, the Province of Ontario, and the Chief Medical Officer of Health; and Deputy Prime Minister Freeland, the Government of Canada, and the Public Health Agency of Canada, for their detailed consideration and partnership throughout this process.

“From the onset of discussions with league and government officials, the safety of the broader community– our fans – and the team remained the priority of everyone involved, and with that, the club completely respects the federal government’s decision,” said Mark Shapiro, President & CEO, Toronto Blue Jays. “Though our team will not be playing home games at Rogers Centre this summer, our players will take the field for the 2020 season with the same pride and passion representative of an entire nation. We cannot wait until the day comes that we can play in front of our fans again on Canadian soil.”

The club is in the process of finalizing the best home location for the remainder of the 2020 season and will share an update as soon as it is available.  

– BLUE JAYS –

Blue Jays strike out in bid to have home games played in Toronto — Toronto Sun

One strike and Toronto is out as a home for the Blue Jays in the 2020 Major League Baseball season. Read More

Blue Jays strike out in bid to have home games played in Toronto — Toronto SunOne strike and Toronto is out as a home for the Blue Jays in the 2020 Major League Baseball season.
In a statement on Saturday afternoon, federal Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced that the government has rejected the Jays return to play proposal, denying the club the opportunity to have 30 home games hosted at the Rogers Centre.
“Unlike preseason training, regular season games would require repeated cross-border travel of Blue Jays players and staff, as well as opponent teams into and out of Canada,” Mendicino said in a statement revealed by the Associated Press. “Of particular concern, the Toronto Blue Jays would be required to play in locations where the risk of virus transmission remains high.”
The Jays had previously received clearance from the Ontario provincial government and the City of Toronto but the feds have the final say on border issues.
“Based on the best-available public health advice, we have concluded the cross-border travel required for MLB regular season play would not adequately protect Canadians’ health and safety,” Mendicino said. “As a result, Canada will not be issuing a National Interest Exemption for the MLB’s regular season at this time.”
The Jays had put together an exhaustive protocol plan that went above and beyond MLB’s thorough guidelines but ultimately the federal government denied the press.
The frontrunner for 30 home games remains Sahlen Field in Buffalo, home of the Jays triple A affiliate Bisons.
The announcement comes less than a week before the Jays begin the 2020 season next Friday against Tampa Bay. The home opener, wherever that will be, is scheduled for July 29.
Previously, the team had been granted permission from the feds to conduct training camp at the Rogers Centre where it has been for the past two weeks. The Jays players and staff have been quarantined in the Marriott Hotel attached to the Rogers Centre.



0
 

SF Giants use virtual reality, video game simulations to prepare for Opening Day — Times-Standard

SAN FRANCISCO — When Mike Yastrzemski steps into the batter’s box to face Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw on Opening Night in Los Angeles, it won’t be the first time Yastrzemski will have seen the future Hall of Famer on the mound this summer. Yastrzemski didn’t spend his quarantine working out with the Los Angeles left-hander,…

SF Giants use virtual reality, video game simulations to prepare for Opening Day — Times-Standard

A.J. Pollock enduring ‘wild ride’ with premature baby then COVID-19 — Press Telegram

LOS ANGELES — As A.J. Pollock and his wife, Kate, prepared for the birth of their first child, they no doubt heard what a roller-coaster ride parenthood could be, filled with unexpected dips and dives, joys and fears deeper than you can imagine. They had no idea. The Pollocks welcomed their daughter, Maddi Mae, to…

A.J. Pollock enduring ‘wild ride’ with premature baby then COVID-19 — Press Telegram