Multiple Jays players left behind in Florida after another COVID-19 positive — Toronto Sun

As the Blue Jays were to begin training camp workouts in Toronto on Monday, the team was short an undisclosed number of players. Read More

Multiple Jays players left behind in Florida after another COVID-19 positive — Toronto Sun

As the Blue Jays were to begin training camp workouts in Toronto on Monday, the team was short an undisclosed number of players.

A source confirmed to The Toronto Sun that one player on the Toronto roster recently tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and as a result did not board the team charter for a light to Toronto on Sunday night

As an added precaution, the source said other players who had been in close contact with the individual who tested positive remained in Florida as well. Those players will be monitored and once they record two negative tests for the virus will make the trip on another Jays charter.

The development, first reported by ESPN’S Jeff Passan, is the second incident of COVID-19 positives for the Jays, who also had a number of players and staff shut down with the virus late last month. Jays players gathered at their spring training home in Dunedin, Fla. last week where intake testing was done for the virus. A charter from Florida transported several players, coaches and support staff here on Sunday night.

The team is under a strict quarantine protocol at the Rogers Centre after receiving approval from provincial and federal officials and health authorities to stage their training camp at their home stadium.

Under the plan, the team is staying at a hotel attached to the stadium itself and players will not be allowed to exit the building before breaking for the proposed start of the regular season on July 24th.

The Jays club policy is to not reveal the name of any who test positive for the virus unless the player agrees to allow it. Several teams across Major League Baseball have identified players who have contracted it.

It is unclear how many Jays players from the announced 60-man roster were participating in initial workouts at the downtown Toronto dome. For the first two days of camp, media has been denied access to the stadium.

Meanwhile, the Jays schedule will be revealed later today when MLB releases the itinerary for all 30 teams. The Jays have yet to receive government approval to play their 30 home games at the Rogers Centre and are keeping TD Ballpark in Dunedin as their

We’re coming home 💙

Our Summer Training Camp will be held at Rogers Centre! pic.twitter.com/OPKIjVPUl9— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) July 2, 2020

Fox Sports Exec Shares TV Ratings That Contradict Donald Trump’s Claims — NESN.com

Donald Trump believes recent controversies have negatively impacted NASCAR’s viewership, but the TV ratings tell a different story. The United States President on Monday lashed out at Darrell Wallace Jr., calling for him to apologize for last month’s noose controversy, which he believes is a “hoax.” Additionally, Trump claimed that the story, along with NASCAR’s…

Fox Sports Exec Shares TV Ratings That Contradict Donald Trump’s Claims — NESN.com

Washington Nationals cancel workouts after not getting COVID-19 test results back — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

General Manager Mike Rizzo said “Without accurate and timely testing it is simply not safe for us to continue with Summer Camp.”

Washington Nationals cancel workouts after not getting COVID-19 test results back — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

Overnight we learned about testing delays and, by extension, team workout delays due to what has been, quite frankly, Major League Baseball’s incompetence with respect to getting its COVID-19 testing program up to speed as camps open. That specifically impacted the Oakland Athletics, the Los Angeles Angels and, per Ken Rosenthal, two other teams. Now we know one of the other teams: the World Series champion Washington Nationals.

The Nationals have canceled today’s workouts because they have still not received the results from tests administered on Friday. General Manager Mike Rizzo released a sternly-worded statement explaining his decision to cancel today’s work:

Per MLB’s protocol, all players and staff were tested for COVID-19 on Friday, July 3. Seventy-two hours later, we have yet to receive the results of those tests. We cannot have our players and staff work at risk. Therefore, we have canceled our team workout scheduled for this morning. We will not sacrifice the health and safety of our players, staff, and their families. Without accurate and timely testing it is simply not safe for us to continue with Summer Camp. Major League Baseball needs to work quickly to resolve issues with their process and their lab. Otherwise Summer Camp and the 2020 season are at risk.

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association’s agreement to play the 2020 season was premised on all personnel from every team to undergo saliva or nasal swab test every two days from the time camps opened until the season is over. That multiple teams have already experienced lags and delays in excess of that, mere days into the beginning of the testing process, speaks very poorly for how that plan is being put into action.

Follow @craigcalcaterra

Blue Jays prepare for quick, safe preparation at Camp Quarantine — Toronto Sun

Providing there isn’t a snag in health and border issues adding another delay, the Blue Jays hope to hit the Rogers Centre field on Monday to begin preparations for the 2020 MLB season. And when pitchers take the mound and batters get behind the plate, it will end the longest drought of the team’s inactivity […]

Blue Jays prepare for quick, safe preparation at Camp Quarantine — Toronto Sun

Ex-Celtics Center Jared Sullinger Gearing Up For Potential NBA Comeback — NESN.com

[nesn_embed service=dailymotion src=”https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x7usix5″ width=”640″ height=”360″] It’s been three years since Jared Sullinger has played in the NBA. But the former Boston Celtics center is ready for his second act. Sullinger spent all three seasons with the C’s before signing with the Raptors as an unrestricted free agent in June 2016. Sullinger played just 11 games […]

Ex-Celtics Center Jared Sullinger Gearing Up For Potential NBA Comeback — NESN.com

Sacramento Kings Shut Down Practice Facilities — LEAGUE ALERTS

The Sacramento Kings have shut down their practice facility after obtaining a positive Coronavirus test. In the past couple of days, fans have witnessed a multitude of teams shut down their facilities due to positive COVID-19 tests. The Kings are the most recent team to do this. With the transfer over to the Orlando bubble […]

Sacramento Kings Shut Down Practice Facilities — LEAGUE ALERTS

The Sacramento Kings have shut down their practice facility after obtaining a positive Coronavirus test. 

In the past couple of days, fans have witnessed a multitude of teams shut down their facilities due to positive COVID-19 tests. The Kings are the most recent team to do this.

Photo: Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

With the transfer over to the Orlando bubble happening in just a couple days, Sacramento is lucky they aren’t missing too much practice time. With that said, depending on who the positive test actually was, this could affect the team drastically.Advertisements

As of right now, the test was not specified. This means anyone in the King’s traveling party could have it, whether that be player, coach or trainer. 

Closing facilities are starting to become a common theme amongst NBA teams. Whether or not this will affect the continued season is unbeknownst to teams and fans alike.

Nets GM: Kevin Durant remains ‘loud voice’ in building for future — The Sports Daily

Kevin Durant may not be joining his Nets teammates in the “Orlando bubble,” for the NBA season restart, but that doesn’t necessarily mean (…)

Nets GM: Kevin Durant remains ‘loud voice’ in building for future — The Sports Daily

Kevin Durant may not be joining his Nets teammates in the “Orlando bubble,” for the NBA season restart, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he isn’t in constant communication with the team.

The Nets have a big decision ahead of them in regards to their head coaching position, with interim coach Jacque Vaughn having a difficult task ahead of him, considering the big-name guys currently out there on the market.

It’s been said that Durant and Kyrie Irving will have input on the team’s head coach going forward, which is a trend we’ve seen in the NBA, as it’s a superstar-driven league. That’s why it was no surprise that Nets general manager Sean Marks told SNY’s Ian Begley that KD continues to be a “loud voice” in the building.

“He continues to be a very loud voice in terms of where we’re going in the future and what we’re doing and I involve him like the other players and staff and how we’ll continue to build this team and how we move forward,” Marks said.

He continued:

“Look, I don’t want to speak for him but he seemed to be in good spirits,” Marks explained. “He’s obviously aware of everything that’s going on whether it’s pandemic and some of the issues going on in society. We’ve had great conversations about all of that.”

It’s still surprising that KD and Kyrie won’t be joining their team in Orlando, regardless. 

Jordan Clarkson had doubts about NBA restart — ABC4 Utah

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Sports) – The Utah Jazz head to Orlando on Tuesday to continue practicing for the NBA restart later this month. On Sunday, the media had a chance to hear from Jazz head coach Quin Snyder and guard Jordan Clarkson. Clarkson has been active in the Black Lives Matter movement, and he […]

Jordan Clarkson had doubts about NBA restart — ABC4 Utah

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Sports) – The Utah Jazz head to Orlando on Tuesday to continue practicing for the NBA restart later this month.

On Sunday, the media had a chance to hear from Jazz head coach Quin Snyder and guard Jordan Clarkson.

Clarkson has been active in the Black Lives Matter movement, and he said he had doubts about whether the return of basketball would overshadow the fight for social injustice.   

“It isn’t the ideal situation for us to go play now but we are going in,” he said. “I know a lot of players have agendas and things they want to put out using their platform.”

Clarkson has used his platform by participating in marches and being active on social media. And he has strong words for those who think athletes should just stick to sports.

“I think that everybody who is saying shut up and dribble, maybe they should shut up and go look in the mirror,” he said. “Really think to yourself, there really is something wrong so you got to face it and something has to change, its a problem that everybody is noticing.”

Clarkson was one of the players who thought hard about not going to Orlando, for fear of risking injury coming in to a contract year.

“After I read through a lot of stuff, I don’t think the NBA is going to put us in any kind of harms way,” he said. “I want to go hoop! I’m bored sitting at home and ready to go back to work.”

RELATED CONTENT

But the players will be going to work without their teammate, Bojan Bogdanovic, who is out after having wrist surgery. So everyone is going to need to step up.

Head coach Quin Snyder says flexibility is going to be a key.   

“I think one of the key things to this experience is being able to adapt,” Snyder said.

“All of us are going to have to step up, Royce, Mike, Donny, just go down the list,” Clarkson added. “That’s a big loss for us but everybody is going to have to step up and make it happen.”

Snyder always preaches defense, but he knows finding more offense with Bogdanovic out will be important as well.

“I think we need to get a lot of shots, I think we need to play with confidence,” Snyder said. “We’re a group that needs to be in attack mode.”

Even though the Jazz have yet to be on the court at the same time, Snyder feels like his team is ready to go.

“The enthusiasm right now is around playing basketball,” he said. “The format is foreign to everybody, it’s new, but the courts and the baskets and the balls are the same whether there are fans or not. Guys are going to compete and I know our guys are looking forward to having that opportunity.”

The Jazz will restart the NBA season July 30th against New Orleans.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.