Oilers defenceman Mike Green opts out of return to play tournament — Edmonton Sun

Defenceman Mike Green, who was acquired by the Edmonton Oilers just prior to the NHL trade deadline in February, has opted out of the NHL’s return to play tournament. Read More

Oilers defenceman Mike Green opts out of return to play tournament — Edmonton Sun

Clippers’ Lou Williams goes from on the bubble to in the ‘bubble’ in Orlando — Press Telegram

With so much movement happening on the social justice front, last month Lou Williams said he wasn’t sure whether playing basketball this summer would distract from those issues. And, he said, he didn’t know whether he should join the Clippers in Orlando as they seek to finish off what they hope is the organization’s first…

Clippers’ Lou Williams goes from on the bubble to in the ‘bubble’ in Orlando — Press Telegram

Awaiting Kawhi Leonard’s arrival Friday, Clippers are on a mission in Orlando — Press Telegram

It’ll be a long, fraught road before the Clippers or any of the 21 teams in Orlando can claim Mission Accomplished. But even as they awaited the arrival of Kawhi Leonard later Friday, with the first 36 hours of solitary quarantine out of the way, Doc Rivers’ squad was eager to get down to basketball.…

Awaiting Kawhi Leonard’s arrival Friday, Clippers are on a mission in Orlando — Press Telegram

MAPLE LEAFS STATEMENT ON HUB CITY

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS STATEMENT ON TORONTO BEING SELECTED AS AN NHL HUB CITY

The National Hockey League announced tonight that the City of Toronto has been selected as one of the League’s hub cities as part of their Return to Play plan for Eastern Conference teams for the 2019-20 season.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment would like to extend their appreciation to the National Hockey League, as well as the National Hockey League Players Association and of course its players. The Maple Leafs, working in concert with the NHL, NHLPA, and health officials from the City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario, are determined to create and maintain a safe and secure hub city experience for the players and the league alike. More importantly, we are also deeply committed to help ensure the health and safety of the residents of Toronto by adhering to the strict and comprehensive protocols of the hub strategy so that the experience is a positive one for all.

The Club would also like to extend a special thanks to the Government of Canada, Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Ontario Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams, Ontario Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism & Culture Industries Lisa MacLeod, Toronto Mayor John Tory, as well as Toronto Medical Officers of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa and Dr. Vinita Dubey for their invaluable expertise and feedback throughout this process.

###

Blue Jays end Vladimir Guerrero third baseman experiment early — Toronto Sun

From the start, it was thought that imposing slugger Vladimir Guerrero Jr.’s days as a full-time third baseman would not last long, but the experiment appears to be over far sooner than expected. Read More

Blue Jays end Vladimir Guerrero third baseman experiment early — Toronto Sun

Celtics’ Semi Ojeleye Will Wear Powerful Message On Jersey Upon NBA Return — NESN.com

The NBA will allow players to share their voice amid ongoing systemic racism protests by letting them replace their last name on their back with a message of social justice. Boston Celtics’ Semi Ojeleye will take part in it. The 25-year-old forward revealed he will wear “Love Us” on the back of his jersey, rather than…

Celtics’ Semi Ojeleye Will Wear Powerful Message On Jersey Upon NBA Return — NESN.com

Ja Morant calls out those complaining about the food in the NBA bubble — The Rookie Wire

76ers rookie Matisse Thybulle will encourage fans to vote as part of his social message during the NBA season restart this month.

Ja Morant calls out those complaining about the food in the NBA bubble — The Rookie Wire

Nets reportedly sign Donta Hall for restart games in Orlando — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports

He averaged 15.4 points and 10.6 rebounds a game in the G League this season.

Nets reportedly sign Donta Hall for restart games in Orlando — ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports

Nets reportedly sign Donta Hall for restart games in Orlando

By Kurt HelinJul 9, 2020, 11:00 PM EDTLeave a comment

Donta Hall went undrafted out of Alabama last June, then made the most of the opportunities he was given. The 6’9″ big man tore up the G League for the Grand Rapids Drive, averaging 15.4 points a game on 66.9% shooting, plus gabbing 10.6 rebounds a night. It was good enough to get him a call up to the Pistons and getting in four games for them.

Now he’s going to play in the NBA restart for the Brooklyn Nets, a story broken by Marc Stein of the New York Times.

The Nets are signing Donta Hall to a rest-of-the-season, league sources say

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) July 9, 2020

The shorthanded Nets are without big men DeAndre JordanTaurean Prince, and Nicolas Claxton (Jarrett Allen was the only center on the roster). Donta Hall will get the chance to impress the Nets — and other teams — and try to earn a contract for next season (he will be a free agent when the Nets are eliminated).

Hall is a tremendous athlete, he’s bouncy and long (7’5″ wingspan). If his skills develop, he has a role in the NBA.

The Nets were hit hard by injuries and had to make substitute signings such as Jamal Crawford and Michael Beasley. Here is what the final Nets roster looks like in Orlando.

Brooklyn Nets in Orlando (final):

Guards:

• Caris LeVert
• Jamal Crawford
• Joe Harris
• Garrett Temple
• Chris Chiozza
• Tyler Johnson
• Jeremiah Martin
• Dzanan Musa

Bigs:

• Jarrett Allen
• TLC
• Rodions Kurucs
• Michael Beasley
• Justin Anderson
• Donta Hall

— Anthony Puccio (@APOOCH) July 9, 2020

James Harden, Russell Westbrook not on Rockets’ flight to Florida — Rockets Wire

James Harden, Russell Westbrook not on Rockets’ flight to Florida — Rockets Wire

Houston Rockets superstars James Harden and Russell Westbrook were not on the team’s Thursday flight to Orlando for the restart of the 2019-20 season, as first reported by The Athletic‘s Shams Charania.

No reason was given for the absence of the All-Star backcourt, and both former MVPs are expected to join the team “in the near future.”

Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported that in addition to Harden and Westbrook, newcomer Luc Mbah a Moute and player development coach John Lucas were also not on the flight.

Harden and Westbrook were not made available in recent team media sessions, which began in July once individual workouts (for healthy players) became mandatory at Toyota Center. Robert Covington, Austin Rivers, and Eric Gordon were the only players to speak on the Zoom calls.

Can confirm that James Harden and Russell Westbrook were not on the flight to Orlando, per source. Luc Mbah a Moute and player development coach John Lucas also did not fly with the team. https://t.co/mzgSnLL894

— Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) July 9, 2020

Rockets forward Thabo Sefolosha, who opted out of playing in Florida, said last weekend that some of his teammates had tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). However, he did not identify who, how many, or how recently. For medical privacy reasons, NBA teams are not required to report any individual player’s COVID-19 diagnosis.

Related

Report: Thabo Sefolosha says some Rockets’ players had COVID-19

If those positive tests were recent, that could be a potential explanation for any player who isn’t initially with his team in Orlando, since the NBA required players to test negative in the days just prior to travel. Cases of COVID-19 have surged around Houston in recent weeks.

There could also be many other reasons for not being on the team flight. The Los Angeles Clippers, for example, are reportedly allowing superstar Kawhi Leonard to arrive a few days late while dealing with a family matter. Any player who does not fly on the charter must test negative three times for COVID-19 before traveling later to Orlando.

The players and coaches on the Rockets who did make Thursday’s flight to Florida will have their first team practice on Saturday. Harden, Westbrook, and Mbah a Moute will join at a later date.

All still have sufficient time to get there before Houston’s 2019-20 regular season resumes on Friday, July 31 vs. Dallas.

Related

NBA clears Mike D’Antoni for departure as Rockets fly to Florida

As Rockets head to Florida, P.J. Tucker plans for ’90 day road trip’

Sources: The NBA has informed teams that a player will not be allowed to travel with team to Orlando if he misses coronavirus test on one of two days before travel date (July 7-9). Player would then have to register three consecutive negative tests before traveling.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) July 4, 2020

S