TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (1-2) vs.
COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (2-1)
THURSDAY, AUGUST 6, 2020
- Cody Ceci opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs with a shorthanded goal at 18:52 of the first period. Ceci’s goal is his first career playoff goal and first point of the 2020 postseason. He had a goal and seven assists in 56 games this season. He has four points (1-3-4) in 28 career playoff games. Ceci’s first period goal is his first NHL goal to come while shorthanded in regular season or postseason play. He is the first Maple Leaf defenceman to score a shorthanded goal in the playoffs since Jim McKenny on April 9, 1972 vs. Boston.
- William Nylander scored the second Toronto goal of the night at 7:08 of the second period on the power play. Nylander’s goal is his first goal of the playoffs. He has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. In 23 career playoff games, he has recorded 13 points (3-10-13).
- Nick Robertson scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 8:48 of the second period. Robertson’s goal is his first in NHL competition. At 18 years, 330 days old, he is the third Maple Leaf in franchise history to score a playoff goal before the age of 19, joining Jack Hamilton and Ted Kennedy, per NHL Stats. He is the first NHLer to score a playoff goal before turning 19 since Sam Bennett with Calgary in 2015. He led the Ontario Hockey League and Canadian Hockey League in goal-scoring with this season with 55 goals in 46 games.
- Alex Kerfoot registered the primary assist on Ceci’s first period goal and later added the secondary assist on Robertson’s second period goal. Kerfoot has assists (0-3-3) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his first career multi-point and multi-assist playoff game. He has eight points (2-6-8) in 22 career postseason games.
- Kasperi Kapanen collected the secondary assist on Ceci’s first period goal and later had the primary assist on Robertson’s second period goal. Kapanen’s first period assist was his first point of the 2020 playoffs. Tonight’s game is his third career multi-point and first career multi-assist playoff game. He had 13 goals and 23 assists in 69 games during the 2019-20 regular season. He has seven points (four goals, three assists) in 23 career playoff games.
- Mitch Marner recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Marner’s assist is his first point of the 2020 postseason. He had 16 goals and 51 assists in 59 games during the 2019-20 season. In 23 career playoff games, he has recorded 17 points (5-12-17).
- Auston Matthews picked up the secondary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Matthews has points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has 16 points (11-5-16) in 23 career playoff games.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 40 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||9 (7)||8 (7)||10 (10)||9 (9)||36 (33)|
|COLUMBUS||6 (6)||10 (8)||14 (14)||14 (14)||44 (42)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||28 (26)||15 (12)||17 (17)||18 (18)||78 (73)|
|COLUMBUS||20 (19)||23 (16)||21 (21)||18 (18)||82 (74)|
- The Maple Leafs went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and 1-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- The Maple Leafs are 58-57-1 all-time in playoff overtimes.
- Justin Holl was on the ice for a team-high 30 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 47.6 percent (30 for, 33 against).
- Martin Marincin played in his first game of the series.
- John Tavares won 83 percent (10 won, 2 lost) of his defensive zone faceoffs and was 11-for-16 (69%) in the faceoff circle against Columbus centre Pierre-Luc Dubois.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||4 (Hyman, Nylander, Rielly)|
|Shot Attempts||7 (Mikheyev)|
|Faceoff Wins||16 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Spezza – 2 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||4 (Hyman, Marincin)|
|Blocked Shots||5 (Holl)|
|Takeaways||2 (Matthews, Tavares)|
|Power Play TOI||2:10 (Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||3:17 (Marincin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||73.3% (Spezza – 11 for, 4 against)|
- Friday, August 7, 8 p.m., Toronto at Columbus (Sportsnet, NBCSN, TVA)
- Sunday, August 9, TBD, Columbus at Toronto (TBD)*
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.