WINNIPEG JETS (16-8-2 – 34 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (19-7-2 – 40 Points)
THURSDAY, MARCH 11, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Mitch Marner put the Maple Leafs on the board at 3:14 of the second period and later had the secondary assist on Auston Matthews’ overtime goal. Tonight’s game is his 11th multi-point game of the season. Marner has assists (2) and points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has 21 points (7-14-21) in 15 home games this season. He has five points (3-2-5) in three games against the Jets in 2020-21.
- William Nylander scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 6:31 of the third period. Nylander has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 15 points (6-9-15) in 15 games on home ice this season. He has a goal and two assists in three games against Winnipeg.
- Ilya Mikheyev scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 12:39 of the third period. Mikheyev has two goals and an assist over his last five games. He has two goals and two assists through six games during the month of March.
- Auston Matthews registered the primary assist on Marner’s second period goal and later scored the overtime winning goal at 0:59 of the extra frame. Tonight’s game is his 10th multi-point performance of the season. Matthews has goals (3) and points (3-1-4) in two consecutive games. He has 23 points (14-9-23) in 14 games on home ice. In 11 career games against the Jets, he has recorded 16 points (7-9-16). He leads the NHL in goals (20) and game-winning goals (7).
- TJ Brodie picked up the secondary assist on Marner’s second period goal. Brodie has assists (3) in three consecutive games. He has a pair of assists in three games against Winnipeg this season.
- John Tavares registered the primary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Tavares has points (1-2-3) in three consecutive games. He has five points (2-3-5) over his last five games played. He has a goal and two assists in three games against the Jets this season.
- Morgan Rielly had the secondary assist on Nylander’s third period goal and later recorded the primary assist on Matthews’ overtime winner. Tonight’s game is Rielly’s sixth multi-assist and seventh multi-point game of the season. He has three assists in three games against Winnipeg this season.
- Alex Kerfoot registered the primary assist on Mikheyev’s third period goal. He has a pair of assists over his last three games. He has recorded six of his nine assists on home ice this season. In three games against Winnipeg this season, he has recorded two assists.
- Pierre Engvall picked up the secondary assist on Mikheyev’s third period goal. Engvall has a goal and two assists over his last five games played. He has recorded two goals and four assists in 19 games played this season.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 23 shots to earn his 13th win of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|WINNIPEG||8 (8)||8 (8)||10 (8)||0 (0)||26 (24)|
|TORONTO||10 (10)||14 (10)||12 (11)||1 (0)||37 (31)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|WINNIPEG||11 (11)||13 (13)||16 (12)||0 (0)||41 (37)|
|TORONTO||20 (20)||27 (21)||23 (22)||1 (0)||72 (64)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||10-4-1 (15 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg||36-20-1-9 (66 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg||19-10-1-4 (34 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||5 (Four players tied)|
|Shot Attempts||10 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||13 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Kerfoot, Nylander)|
|Hits||3 (Matthews, Muzzin)|
|Blocked Shots||1 (Six players tied)|
|Power Play TOI||1:13 (Matthews, Rielly)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:18 (Muzzin)|
|Shifts||28 (Holl, Marner, Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||75.0% (Agostino – 3 for, 1 against)|
|Opponent scores first||6-4-1|
|Trail after 1||3-2-1|
|Trail after 2||1-5-0|
|Do not score a power play goal||5-5-0|
|Do not allow a power play goal||12-1-1|
- The Maple Leafs were 2-for-2 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Kenny Agostino, Jason Spezza and Jimmy Vesey were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Kenny Agostino played in his first game as a Maple Leaf.
- Auston Matthews and Morgan Rielly were on the ice for a team-high 31 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. Matthews finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 60.9% (31 for, 20 against), while Rielly finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 66% (31 for, 16 against).
- John Tavares won 78% (7 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs and was 4-for-5 (80%) on defensive zone faceoffs.
- Saturday, March 13, 7:00 p.m. vs. Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Sunday, March 14, 7:00 p.m. at Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Friday, March 19, 7:00 p.m. vs. Calgary Flames (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Saturday, March 20, 7:00 p.m. vs. Calgary Flames (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, March 25, 7:00 p.m. at Ottawa Senators (TSN4, FAN 590)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.