The Toronto Marlies announced today that Rich Clune will serve as the hockey club’s captain for the 2020-21 season. He will be the ninth captain in Toronto Marlies franchise history.
Clune, 33, has recorded two goals in eight games this season. In his six seasons with Toronto, he has registered 45 points (20 goals, 25 assists) in 172 regular season games. The Toronto native has appeared in 20 playoff games for the Marlies, collecting five points (2 goals, 3 assists) and capturing the Calder Cup in 2018. He has served as an alternate captain for the past five seasons. Clune has played more than 600 games at the NHL and AHL levels since being selected by the Dallas Stars in the third round (71st overall) of the 2005 NHL Draft.
The Toronto Marlies are the primary development program for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The current Toronto Maple Leafs roster features eight players who were developed with the Marlies (Travis Dermott, Pierre Engvall, Justin Holl, Zach Hyman, William Nylander, Timothy Liljegren, Morgan Rielly and Joseph Woll).
ROGERS PLACE (EDMONTON, AB) ▪ TV: SPORTSNET ONTARIO ▪ RADIO: SPORTSNET 590 THE FAN
MAPLE LEAFS HISTORY versus EDMONTON
55-44-8-2 (108 Games)
ALL-TIME on the ROAD:
25-25-6-2 (57 Games)
MAPLE LEAFS CAREER LEADERS versus EDMONTON
Joe Thornton (69), TJ Brodie (44), Jake Muzzin (36)
Joe Thornton (12), Jason Spezza (11), Wayne Simmonds (9)
Joe Thornton (59), Jason Spezza (19), TJ Brodie (18)
Joe Thornton (71), Jason Spezza (30), John Tavares (24)
Joe Thornton (28), Wayne Simmonds, (24), Zach Bogosian (23)
MAPLE LEAFS – OILERS TEAM STATS
GOALS FOR (Rank):
GOALS AGAINST (Rank):
POWER PLAY [%] (Rank):
22/68 [31.3%] (2nd)
22/81 [27.2%] (7th)
PENALTY KILL [%] (Rank):
54/68 [79.4%] (17th)
55/71 [78.6%] (20th)
SHOTS PER GAME (Rank):
SHOTS AGAINST PER GAME (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank):
FACEOFF % (Rank):
MAPLE LEAFS – OILERS NOTES
First Matchup between Clubs:
Nov. 11, 1979 (Toronto 6, Edmonton 3)
55-44-8-2 (109 Games)
All-Time Record at Home:
30-19-2-0 (51 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road:
25-25-6-2 (58 Games)
Last Win vs. Opponent on the Road:
Feb. 27, 2021 (Toronto 4, Edmonton 0)
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
POWER PLAY POINTS
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT %
TOI PER GAME
PP TOI PER GAME
SH TOI PER GAME
MAPLE LEAFS PLAYER NOTES
– Second in the NHL in wins (11).- Tied for 11th among NHL goaltenders in saves made (411).- Has a 14-1-2 record with a 2.36 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage in 18 career games against Edmonton.
– Averaging 2.39 points per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, which ranks fifth among Toronto skaters who have appeared in multiple games.
– Averaging 18:50 in even-strength ice time, which ranks second among Toronto skaters.- Fourth among Maple Leafs defencemen in points (0-6-6).
– Is 3-0-0 with a 1.33 goals-against average and a .951 save percentage this season.- Earned his first shutout of the season and the third of his career on February 27 at Edmonton.
– Ranks 22nd among NHL right handed defencemen who average at least 15 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time (17:11) with a shot attempt percentage of 53.3% when the score is within one goal.- Tied for 18th in the NHL in shorthanded ice time per game (3:13).
– Has a .929 save percentage at even-strength through two starts this season.
– Leads Maple Leafs forwards in shorthanded ice time per game (2:12).- Tied for the second-highest on-ice goals for percentage (69.2%) at 5-on-5 among Toronto forwards.
– Has five goals and four assists in 12 career games against Edmonton.- Tied for sixth among Toronto forwards in shifts per game (19.9).- Had seven points (3-4-7) in 12 games during the month of February.
– Third among NHLers in assists (22)- Fifth among NHLers in points (10-22-32).- Tied for second in the NHL in even-strength goals (10).- Leads NHL forwards in time on ice per game (22:40).- Has played 39.1% of Toronto’s shorthanded ice time.- Has the highest on-ice goals for percentage (75.0%) at 5-on-5 among Toronto forwards..
– Leads the NHL in goals (18).- Tied for fourth among NHLers in points (18-13-31).- Averaging 21:54 in time on ice per game, which is fourth among NHL forwards.- Ranks fourth among Maple Leafs forwards in 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage (51.7%).- Third in the NHL in shots on goal (82).- Tied for the NHL lead in scoring during the month of February (12-9-21).
– Ranks third among Maple Leafs forwards in shorthanded ice time per game (2:02).- Has an average of 16.1 shot attempts per 60 minutes of shorthanded ice time, which ranks fifth among NHLers who have played at least 40 minutes of shorthanded ice time (44:49). – Has started 36.5% of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest percentage among Maple Leafs.
– Tied for 26th among NHL skaters in shorthanded ice time per game (3:03).- Tied for 18th among NHL defencemen and ranks sixth among Maple Leafs in points (1-12-13). – Has started 46.5 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest mark among Toronto defencemen.
– Has the seventh highest points per 60 minutes at 5-on-5 (1.65) among Toronto skaters who have appeared in over five games.- Has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 51.5%, which is the third-highest percentage among Maple Leafs forwards who have appeared in at least five games.- Has an on-ice goals for percentage of 52.9% at 5-on-5.- Averaging 2.17 takeaways per 60 minutes of ice time, which ranks third on the Maple Leafs.
– Leads Maple Leafs in average time on ice (23:53).- Tied for seventh among NHL defencemen in points (2-14-16).- Has eight assists in nine games on the road this season.- Had nine points (1-8-9) in 12 games during the month of February.
– Has the fourth-highest points per 60 minutes rate (2.90) at 5-on-5 among Maple Leafs who have appeared in over five games.- Has won 57.9% of his defensive zone faceoffs, which is the seventh highest percentage among NHLers who have taken at least 75 defensive zone draws (95).
– Tied for 18th in the NHL in power play goals (4).- Has the fourth-highest faceoff win percentage (59.6%) among NHLers who have taken at least 300 faceoffs (322).- Has a goal and nine assists in nine games on the road this season.- Has six points (1-5-6) in five games against Edmonton in 2020-21.- Has an on-ice goals for percentage of 58.8% at 5-on-5 in 2020-21.
– Has the highest 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage among Toronto skaters at 57.7%.- Has three goals and seven assists in 10 games this season.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
Points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games.
Goals (3) in two consecutive games.
Two points from 200 NHL points
One game from 100 career NHL games
One game from 600 career NHL games
Four assists from 1,100 career NHL assists
Frederik Andersen (Lower Body)
Did not play on Feb. 27 at EDM
Auston Matthews (Hand)
Did not play on Feb. 27 at EDM.
Wayne Simmonds (Wrist)
On injured reserve.
Man Games Lost: 58
Reassigned forward Kenny Agostino and defenceman Timothy Liljegren to the taxi squad. Loaned forward Alex Galchenyuk and defenceman Martin Marincin to the Toronto Marlies.
The TorontoBlue Jays have acquired LHP Travis Bergen from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for cash considerations. RHP Patrick Murphy has been placed on the 60-day injured list with a sprained right A/C joint.
Bergen, 27, began his 2020 season with Toronto and pitched in one Major League contest before he was dealt to Arizona on August 31 for LHP Robbie Ray and cash. The 6-1, 215 lb. lefty then made seven appearances for the Diamondbacks and finished the campaign with a 3.24 ERA and 11 strikeouts in 8.1 innings of work.
The Kennesaw State University product was selected by the Blue Jays in the seventh round of the 2015 First-Year Player Draft, selected by the Giants in the 2018 Rule 5 draft and returned to the Blue Jays in August of 2019. He has kept a 4.82 ERA while going 3-0 over 29 career games.
Devin Booker scored 21 of his season-high 43 points in the third quarter to carry Phoenix in a 118-99 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday night, the 14th win for the Suns in their last 17 games.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — PJ Washington scored a career-high 42 points, Malik Monk converted a three-point play with 1.4 seconds remaining and the Charlotte Hornets stunned the Sacramento Kings 127-126 with a late rally Sunday night. Monk finished with 21 points to help Charlotte come back despite playing without leading scorer Gordon Hayward, who sat […]