The Toronto Marlies announced today that the hockey club has signed defenceman Brennan Kapcheck to a two-year AHL contract. He will join the Marlies on a professional try-out for the remainder of the 2020-21 season.
Kapcheck, 24, appeared in 19 games with American International College (AIC) this past season, registering 18 assists while serving as captain. The Mt. Prospect, IL native led his team to the 2021 Atlantic Hockey Championship and was named AHA (East) Player of the Year and Best Defenceman, the first player at AIC to be recognized for both honours. Through four seasons at AIC, Kapcheck recorded 94 points (14 goals, 80 assists) in 128 games, setting a Division I-era school record for career assists.
The Toronto Marlies are the primary development program for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The current Toronto Maple Leafs roster features eight players who were developed with the Marlies (Adam Brooks, Travis Dermott, Pierre Engvall, Justin Holl, Zach Hyman, Timothy Liljegren, William Nylander and Morgan Rielly).
The next phase in the NBA maturation of Michael Porter Jr. materialized quickly when the Nuggets forward switched to defend Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard. Late in the game on Thursday, with L.A. climbing back from down double-digits, the Porter-vs.-Leonard perimeter showdown lasted only a few seconds. Just enough time to validate Porter’s basketball…
BELL MTS PLACE (WINNIPEG, MB) ▪ TV: TSN4 ▪ RADIO: TSN 1050
MAPLE LEAFS HISTORY versus WINNIPEG
37-21-1-9 (68 Games)
ALL-TIME on the ROAD:
18-10-0-5 (33 Games)
MAPLE LEAFS CAREER LEADERS versus WINNIPEG
Jason Spezza (55), Joe Thornton (48), John Tavares (33)
Jason Spezza (15), Joe Thornton (12), John Tavares (10)
Jason Spezza (36), Joe Thornton (33), John Tavares (23)
Jason Spezza (51), Joe Thornton (45), John Tavares (33)
Joe Thornton (43), John Tavares (25), Jason Spezza (20)
MAPLE LEAFS – JETS TEAM STATS
GOALS FOR (Rank):
GOALS AGAINST (Rank):
POWER PLAY [%] (Rank):
26/105 [24.8%] (6th)
28/107 [26.2%] (4th)
PENALTY KILL [%] (Rank):
78/101 [77.2%] (20th)
74/93 [79.6%] (t-15th)
SHOTS PER GAME (Rank):
SHOTS AGAINST PER GAME (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank):
FACEOFF % (Rank):
MAPLE LEAFS – JETS NOTES
First Matchup between Clubs:
Oct. 27, 1999 (Toronto 4, Atlanta 0)
37-21-1-9 (68 Games)
All-Time Record at Home:
19-11-1-4 (35 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road:
18-10-0-5 (33 Games)
Last Win vs. Opponent at Home:
March 31, 2021 (Toronto 3, Winnipeg 1)
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
POWER PLAY POINTS
1 (Five players tied)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT %
TOI PER GAME
PP TOI PER GAME
SH TOI PER GAME
MAPLE LEAFS PLAYER NOTES
– Averaging 19:04 in even-strength ice time, which ranks second among Toronto skaters.- Has the second highest on-ice goals-for percentage (63.2%) at 5-on-5 among Maple Leafs skaters.- Averages 1.29 takeaways per 60 minutes of ice time, which ranks 14th among NHL defencemen who average 20 minutes of ice time per game.
– Is 7-0-0 with a 1.41 goals-against average and a .948 save percentage this season.- Has appeared in five career games against Winnipeg and is 2-2-1 with a 1.81 goals-against average and a .946 save percentage.
– Averaging 2.69 points per 60 minutes of ice time, which ranks third among Toronto skaters who have appeared in over five games.- Has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 60.2% through six games with the Maple Leafs.
– Ranks 10th among NHL right handed defencemen who average at least 15 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time (17:36) with a shot attempt percentage of 54.7% when the score is within one goal.- Ranks 33rd in the NHL in shorthanded ice time per game (2:50).- Tied for 11th among NHL defencemen in assists at 5-on-5 (10).
– Has a .915 save percentage and a 2.49 goals-against average with a 3-2-1 record through seven starts this season.
– Leads Maple Leafs forwards in shorthanded ice time per game (2:07).- Has the highest on-ice goals for percentage (66.6%) at 5-on-5 among Toronto skaters.- Ranks fourth among Maple Leafs in goals (12).
– Sixth among Toronto forwards in shifts per game (19.6).- Has the sixth highest points per 60 minutes at 5-on-5 (1.82) among Toronto skaters who have appeared in over five games.- Has a goal and two assists in five games against Winnipeg this season.
– Fourth among NHLers in assists (33).- Fourth among NHLers in points (13-33-46).- Tied for eighth in the NHL in even-strength goals (13).- Leads NHL forwards in time on ice per game (22:50).- Tied for third in the NHL in primary assists (21).- Tied for the third highest on-ice goals for percentage (62.9%) at 5-on-5 among Toronto skaters.
– Leads the NHL in goals (24).- Leads the NHL in game-winning goals (8).- Seventh among NHLers in points (24-18-42).- Averaging 22:08 in time on ice per game, which is fourth among NHL forwards.- Third among Maple Leafs forwards in 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage (53.6%).- Tied for third in the NHL in shots on goal (133).
– Has an average of 16.0 shot attempts per 60 minutes of shorthanded ice time, which is the sixth most among NHLers who have played at least 60 minutes of shorthanded ice time (57:59). – Has started 34.6% of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest percentage among Maple Leafs skaters.
– Tied for 17th among NHL defencemen in assists at 5-on-5 (9).- Tied for 22nd among NHL defencemen and 10th among Maple Leafs in even-strength points (1-12-13). – One of 18 NHL defencemen to have recorded at least 50 hits (61) and 50 blocked shots (56).
– Tied for second among Maple Leafs in goals (13).- Tied for 23rd among NHLers in even-strength goals (10).- Has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 54.0%, which is the second highest percentage among Maple Leafs.- Has an on-ice goals for percentage of 59.2% at 5-on-5, which is tied for the sixth highest mark among Toronto skaters.
– Leads the Maple Leafs and is 19th among NHLers in average time on ice (23:54).- Ranks 13th among NHL defencemen in points (3-23-26).- Has four assists in five games against the Jets this season.- Tied for 11th among NHL defencemen in assists at 5-on-5 (10).
– Has the highest points per 60 minutes rate (2.88) at 5-on-5 among Maple Leafs who have appeared in over five games.- Has won 56.1% of his defensive zone faceoffs, which is tied for the ninth highest percentage among NHLers who have taken at least 150 defensive zone draws (171).
– Has the fifth highest faceoff win percentage (57.9%) among NHLers who have taken at least 525 faceoffs (534).- Has an on-ice goals for percentage of 62.9% at 5-on-5 in 2020-21, which is tied for third among Toronto skaters.- Averages 13.72 shot attempts per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, which ranks fourth among Toronto skaters who have appeared in at least 20 games.
– Has the highest 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage among Toronto skaters who have appeared in at least five games at 56.1%.- Averaging 1.63 points per 60 minutes of ice time this season, which is eighth among Toronto skaters.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
Assists (2) and points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games.
Assists (5) and points (1-5-6) in four consecutive games.
Goals (3) in three consecutive games and points (3-3-6) in four consecutive games.
OAKLAND — Fans returned to the Oakland Coliseum for the first time since 2019 and made it clear they hadn’t forgotten the opposing team’s involvement in baseball’s biggest scandal of that winter. Boos, chants of “Cheater!” rained down from the some-10,436 fans in attendance, a sellout, who’ve been waiting over a year to express their…
ANAHEIM ― The burden to distract from society’s ills has rarely felt heavier than it did on a muggy Thursday afternoon at Angel Stadium. A mass shooting at an office building less than 4 miles away left four people dead Wednesday night. Vast swaths of unsold green seats served as a reminder of the global…