Athletics left-hander Jesus Luzardo will be off the mound for a while – and maybe off video games, too.Athletics lefty Jesus Luzardo breaks finger on video game — MLB | NBC Sports
These losses feel different to D’Angelo Russell. The Timberwolves have has lost just twice in their past seven games — on April 21 at Sacramento and then Saturday at home in overtime against New Orleans — and both were the result of them squandering double-digit leads late in the fourth quarter. While that can be […]Even after defeat, D’Angelo Russell is confident in Timberwolves’ direction — Twin Cities
VANCOUVER CANUCKS (19-23-3 – 41 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (33-13-5 – 71 Points)
SATURDAY, MAY 1, 2021
- Tonight’s postgame transcript will be updated as it becomes available HERE.
- The final transcript will be posted to www.MapleLeafs.com/pressbox
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Auston Matthews put the Maple Leafs on the board at 15:24 of the first period and later scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 3:50 of the second period. Matthews has goals (4) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ ninth multi-goal game and 18th multi-point performance of the season. He has registered 35 points (23 goals, 12 assists) in 24 games on home ice this season. He has 10 points (9-1-10) in nine games against Vancouver in 2020-21. Matthews leads the NHL in goals (38), even-strength goals (28) and goals at 5-on-5 (25). Toronto is 7-1-1 when Matthews scores multiple goals this season.
- Adam Brooks scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 4:55 of the third period. Brooks has three points (2-1-3) over his last four games played. He has two goals in four games on home ice this season. He has a pair of goals in three games against the Canucks in 2020-21.
- Alex Galchenyuk scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game at 11:39 of the third period. Galchenyuk has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has a goal and an assist in five games against the Canucks this season. He has registered eight points (2-6-8) in nine games at Scotiabank Arena with the Maple Leafs this season.
- Joe Thornton scored the fifth Maple Leafs goal of the night into an empty net at 18:00 of the third period. Thornton has points (2-3-5) in five consecutive games. He has registered a goal and an assist in six games against the Canucks this season. In 19 games on home ice, he has collected nine points (3-6-9).
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later had the lone assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Marner has assists (4) in three consecutive games and points (4-6-10) in six consecutive games. Tonight’s game is Marner’s ninth multi-assist and 17th multi-point game of the season. He has 12 points (2-10-12) in nine games against the Canucks this season. In 26 games on home ice, he has recorded 36 points (11 goals, 25 assists). Marner is tied for second in the NHL in assists (46) and ranks second in the NHL in primary assists (33). The Maple Leafs are 9-0-0 when Marner records multiple assists this season.
- Nick Foligno had the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal. Foligno has recorded four assists in four games played with the Maple Leafs this season. His assist tonight is his first point as a Maple Leaf at Scotiabank Arena. He has recorded 20 points (7-13-20) in 46 games between Columbus and Toronto in 2020-21.
- Justin Holl recorded the primary assist on Brooks’ third period goal. Holl has recorded five assists over his last six games played. He has registered 10 of his 17 assists on home ice this season. The Maple Leafs are 12-4-1when Holl records a point this season.
- Jason Spezza had the secondary assist on Brooks’ third period goal. Spezza has assists (5) in four consecutive games and points (1-5-6) in five consecutive games. He has six points (3-3-6) in nine games against Vancouver this season. He recorded eight points (2-6-8) in 13 games during the month of April.
- William Nylander registered the primary assist on Galchenyuk’s third period goal. Nylander has points (2-2-4) in four consecutive games. He has 20 points (9-11-20) in 22 games on home ice in 2020-21. In nine games against the Canucks this season, he has registered nine points (2-7-9).
- John Tavares had the secondary assist on Galchenyuk’s third period goal. Tavares has assists (2) in two consecutive games. He recorded 17 points (7-10-17) in 14 games during the month of April. In nine games against Vancouver this season, he has recorded nine points (4-5-9).
- Travis Dermott recorded the primary assist on Thornton’s third period goal. He has registered six points (2-4-6) in 46 games played this season. He has notched three of his four assists on home ice in 2020-21. Tonight’s assist is his first point in six games against the Canucks in 2020-21.
- Morgan Rielly picked up the secondary assist on Thornton’s third period goal. Rielly has recorded three assists over his last two games played. He has recorded five points (1-4-5) in eight games against the Canucks this season. He has recorded 16 points (2-14-16) in 25 games on home ice this season.
- Jack Campbell stopped 26 shots to earn his 15th win of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|VANCOUVER||11 (9)||12 (12)||4 (2)||–||27 (23)|
|TORONTO||6 (6)||10 (10)||14 (13)||–||30 (29)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|VANCOUVER||24 (19)||20 (20)||11 (7)||–||55 (46)|
|TORONTO||11 (11)||14 (14)||19 (17)||–||44 (42)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||16-7-3 (26 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver||66-65-22-4 (157 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver at Home||40-25-11-1 (77 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||4 (Matthews, Rielly)|
|Shot Attempts||6 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Wins||9 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||60% (Tavares – 9 won, 6 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Holl)|
|Power Play TOI||1:38 (Rielly)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:37 (Holl)|
|Shifts||29 (Brodie, Rielly)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||59.1% (Matthews – 13 for, 9 against)|
|Opponent scores first||9-8-3|
|Tied after 1||11-4-1|
|Lead after 2||22-2-3|
|Do not score a power play goal||17-9-2|
|Do not allow a power play goal||23-2-3|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-1 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Nick Foligno, Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews started 27.3% of their 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 18 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 51.4 percent (18 for, 17 against).
- Auston Matthews won 63 percent (5 won, 3 lost) of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.
- John Tavares was 5-for-7 (71%) when taking offensive zone faceoffs tonight.
- Monday, May 3, 7:00 p.m. at Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, May 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, May 8, 7:00 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, May 12, 8:00 p.m. at Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, 680 News)
- Friday, May 14, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.