Editor’s note: This is the Friday May 28 edition of the Purple & Bold Lakers newsletter from reporter Kyle Goon. To receive the newsletter in your inbox, sign up here. Any given play on any given night in the NBA can be steeped in history – the kind filled out in locker rooms, exclusive gyms,…The Lakers and Suns are getting under each other’s skin — Orange County Register
MONTREAL CANADIENS (2-3) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (3-2)
THURSDAY, MAY 27, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Zach Hyman put the Maple Leafs on the board at 6:32 of the second period. Hyman’s goal is his first point of the 2021 postseason. He has recorded five goals and eight assists in 30 career playoff games. In six games against Montreal during the regular season, he recorded seven points (2-5-7).
- Jake Muzzin scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 6:52 of the third period and later scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 11:53 of the third period. Tonight’s game is Muzzin’s first career multi-goal and third career multi-point game in the postseason. Muzzin has points (2-1-3) in two consecutive games. In 64 career playoff games, he has recorded 25 points (9-16-25). He has eight points (1-7-8) in 10 games against the Canadiens during the regular season.
- Mitch Marner recorded the primary assist on Hyman’s second period goal. Marner has four assists through five games of this series. He has 25 points (5-20-25) in 30 career playoff games. He registered 39 points (13 goals, 26 assists) in 28 games on home ice this season.
- Auston Matthews had the secondary assist on Hyman’s second period goal. Matthews has four points (1-3-4) through five games of the series. He has 23 points (13 goals, 10 assists) in 30 career postseason games. In 26 games on home ice this season, he registered 37 points (24 goals, 13 assists).
- Wayne Simmonds registered the primary assist on Muzzin’s third period goal. Simmonds’ assist is his first point of the series through five games. He has 22 points (8-14-22) in 49 career Stanley Cup playoff games. He had nine points (7-2-9) in 38 games during the regular season.
- William Nylander picked up the secondary assist on Muzzin’s first goal in the third period before adding a secondary assist on Muzzin’s second goal in the third period. Tonight’s game is Nylander’s third career multi-assist and fifth career multi-point game in the postseason. He has (4-3-7) in five consecutive games. In 30 career playoff games, he has 22 points (9-13-22).
- Alex Galchenyuk had the primary assist on Muzzin’s second goal in the third period. He has points (1-3-4) in two consecutive games. He has recorded 17 points (6-11-17) in 36 career playoff games. In 12 games on home ice with the Maple Leafs during the regular season, he recorded nine point (3-6-9).
- Jack Campbell stopped 26 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||14 (14)||9 (8)||6 (6)||1 (1)||30 (29)|
|TORONTO||8 (8)||11 (10)||16 (15)||0 (0)||35 (33)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||21 (21)||17 (15)||11 (11)||2 (2)||51 (49)|
|TORONTO||16 (16)||15 (14)||21 (20)||0 (0)||52 (50)|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-1 on the power play tonight.
- Auston Matthews went 4-for-6 (67%) on his defensive zone faceoffs.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 24 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 53.3 percent (24 for, 21 against).
- William Nylander was 3-for-3 (100%) taking offensive zone faceoffs.
- Wayne Simmonds was the lone Maple Leaf to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||7 (Hyman)|
|Faceoff Wins||9 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Brooks, Galchenyuk, Nylander)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Brooks, Matthews, Rielly)|
|Power Play TOI||1:46 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:38 (Marner)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||66.7% (Mikheyev – 12 for, 6 against)|
- Saturday, May 29, TBD, Toronto at Montreal (TBD)
- Monday, May 31, TBD, Montreal at Toronto (TBD)*
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.