TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (37-16-5 – 79 Points) vs.
ARIZONA COYOTES (18-35-4 – 40 Points)
THURSDAY, MARCH 10, 2022
1 2 3 OT FINAL
ARIZONA 2 2 0 1 5
TORONTO 0 1 3 0 4
- Pierre Engvall scored for Toronto at 4:55 of the second period. Engvall posted his 10th goal of
the season. Engvall has recorded a point in three-consecutive games (1G, 2A).
- Alexander Kerfoot scored for the Maple Leafs at 3:38 of the third period. Kerfoot posted his 10th
goal of the season. Kerfoot also registered the primary assist on Engvall’s goal and the primary
assist on Nylander’s goal. Kerfoot has posted 32 assists this season.
- Auston Matthews scored for Toronto at 8:07 of the third period. Matthews posted his 44th goal
of the season. Matthews has recorded eight points (7G, 1A) points through his last four games.
- William Nylander scored for the Maple Leafs at 8:17 of the third period. Nylander recorded his
23rd goal of the season. Nylander also posted the secondary assist on Kerfoot’s goal. Nylander
registered his 31st assist of the season. Nylander has recorded four points through his last two
games (2G, 2A).
- Timothy Liljegren recorded the secondary assist on Engvall’s goal. Liljegren posted his 14th assist of the season. Liljegren has registered an assist in four-consecutive games (4A) marking the longest point streak of his NHL career.
- TJ Brodie recorded the primary assist on Kerfoot’s goal. Brodie posted his 15th assist of the season. Brodie has recorded five assists through his last three games.
- Michael Bunting registered the primary assist on Matthews’ goal. Bunting posted his 27th assist of the season. Bunting is currently on a seven-game point streak where he has recorded 12 points (3G, 9A).
- Petr Mrázek stopped 8 of 12 shots during tonight’s game.
- Erik Källgren relieved Mrázek during the second period and stopped 9 of 10 shots in tonight’s overtime loss. Källgren made his NHL debut.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill tonight.
- This is the second game this season where Toronto did not receive a power play opportunity (the first being Feb. 26, 2022 at DET.)
- The Maple Leafs are 6-5 in overtime this season.
- Alexander Kerfoot recorded three points (1G, 2A) during tonight’s game tying a single-game career-high which he has marked on seven occasions during his NHL career. Kerfoot registered his third three-point game of the season.
- TJ Brodie recorded a single-game career-high seven shots during tonight’s game. He surpassed his previous career-high of six shots marked on Dec. 30, 2011 at OTT.
- John Tavares recorded a single-game career-high seven hits during tonight’s game.
- Timothy Liljegren posted a single-game career-high five shots during tonight’s game.
- TJ Brodie was on the ice for a team-high 32 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5.
- Ondřej Kaše finished the game with a team-high 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 100 percent (6
for, 0 against).
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
1st 2nd 3rd OT TOTAL
ARIZONA 7 (6) 9 (6) 5 (5) 2 (0) 23 (17)
TORONTO 8 (8) 11 (10) 18 (17) 1 (0) 38 (35)
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
1st 2nd 3rd OT TOTAL
ARIZONA 12 (10) 14 (11) 9 (9) 3 (0) 38 (30)
TORONTO 22 (22) 23 (20) 35 (32) 2 (0) 82 (74)
ON HOME ICE
- The Maple Leafs are 20-7-2 at home this season.
- Toronto’s all-time record is 39-54-8-3 in 104 games against the Arizona Coyotes and 22-27-2-3 in 54
games played in Toronto.
- Toronto is 17-8-3 against the Western Conference this season and 6-3-3 against the Central Division
- Toronto is 12-12-3 when the opponent scores the first goal of the game.
- The Maple Leafs are 4-8-3 when trailing after one period and 4-13-1 when trailing after two periods.
- Toronto is 22-11-4 when outshot by their opponent.
- The Maple Leafs are 4-3-1 in Thursday games.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
Shots 7 (Brodie)
Shot Attempts 11 (Matthews)
Faceoff Win Percentage
Power Play TOI
5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage
75% (Nylander – 3 won, 1 lost)
2 (Kerfoot, Matthews, Lyubushkin)
2 (Kerfoot, Bunting, Tavares)
100% (Kaše – 6 for, 0 against)
March 13 Leafs at Buffalo Tim Hortons Field 4:00 pm ET
March 15 Leafs vs. Dallas Scotiabank Arena 7:00 pm ET
March 17 Leafs vs. Carolina Scotiabank Arena 7:00 pm ET
March 19 Leafs at Nashville Bridgestone Arena 7:00 pm ET
March 23 Leafs vs. New Jersey Scotiabank Arena 7:00 pm ET
March 26 Leafs at Montreal Bell Centre 7:00 pm ET
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links
above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.
For Maple Leafs notes, transcripts, audio clips and media guides, please visit MapleLeafs.com/pressbox.
HEAD COACH SHELDON KEEFE
On Källgren’s NHL debut:
“He was great. He was calm, cool, collected and big saves. He looked to be confident for a guy going in for his first start in those circumstances with no heads up. I thought he looked excellent. He didn’t get tested a lot and then when he did he was really good and obviously nothing he can do at all on the
winning goal but he kept us alive with that save in overtime just before that. He gave us a chance to win the game the other way with Will’s breakaway so great showing by him. He should be proud of himself.”
On tonight’s game and Källgren’s debut:
“We gave ourselves a chance and he gave us a chance in there so we battled back and got a point but obviously not good enough from the start and we didn’t get playing until the third period.”
On what was going through his mind as he stepped into the game tonight:
“Not much to be honest. I tried to keep the head clear and just go out there and embrace the moment. It
was a big moment for me to play my first minutes in the NHL so just tried to have fun.”
On his play tonight:
“Well it started with the first goal, early on with a bad rebound there and that set the game. I think I didn’t
help the team get through the first period where it easily could have been 0-0.”
On if there was any added pressure tonight:
“No, I don’t think there were any nerves. We don’t think about those things, we just treat it like another
game and like I said it was an easy first save, block save should go in the corner and the game would be