Zach Hyman put the Maple Leafs on the board at 14:23 of the first period and later scored the second Toronto goal of the night at 1:33 of the third period. Hyman has points (2-2-4) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his third multi-goal game and seventh multi-point game of the season. He has 16 points (7-9-16) in 17 games on home ice this season. In six games during the month of February, he has recorded six points (2 goals, 4 assists).
Kasperi Kapanen scored the overtime winning goal at 3:43 . Kapanen has four points (1-3-4) over his past five games played. He has 11 points (2 goals, 9 assists) in 15 games played since January 1. His overtime goal is the second of his career.
Tyson Barrie registered the primary assist on Hyman’s first period goal. Barrie has registered 16 of his 27 assists on home ice this season. In two games against the Coyotes, he has recorded a goal and an assist. Fifteen (3-12-15) of his 32 points have come in 24 games against Western Conference opponents.
Alex Kerfoot had the secondary assist on Hyman’s first period goal and later had the secondary assist on Hyman’s third period goal. Kerfoot has assists (3) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his third multi-assist and fifth multi-point game of the season. In eight career games against the Coyotes, he has registered seven points (2-5-7).
John Tavares registered the primary assist on Hyman’s third period goal. Tavares has points (5-3-8) in five consecutive games. He has 12 points (6 goals, 6 assists) in 11 games against Pacific Division opponents this season.
Jack Campbell stopped 35 of the 37 shots he faced to earn his second win as a Maple Leaf.
Kyle Clifford (41), Jake Muzzin (30), Jason Spezza (23)
John Tavares (9), Jason Spezza (9), Jake Muzzin (6)
Jason Spezza (12), Jake Muzzin (11), Morgan Rielly (6), John Tavares (6)
Jason Spezza (21), Jake Muzzin (17), John Tavares (15)
Kyle Clifford (46), Jake Muzzin (36), Morgan Rielly (8)
MAPLE LEAFS – COYOTES TEAM STATS
GOALS FOR (Rank):
GOALS AGAINST (Rank):
POWER PLAY [%] (Rank):
39/154 [25.3%] (3rd)
35/183 [19.1%] (t-19th)
PENALTY KILL [%] (Rank):
120/155 [77.4%] (24th)
137/166 [82.5%] (10th)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank):
FACEOFF % (Rank):
MAPLE LEAFS – COYOTES NOTES
First Matchup between Clubs:
November 10, 1979 at Winnipeg (Toronto 8, Winnipeg 4)
38-53-8-2 (101 Games)
All-Time Record at Home:
21-27-2-2 (52 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road:
17-26-6-0 (49 Games)
Last Win vs. Opponent on the Road:
December 19, 2013 (Toronto 2, Arizona 1 SO)
MAPLE LEAFS MILESTONES vs. COYOTES
First goal as a Maple Leaf (November 21, 2019 at ARI)
100th NHL point (December 27, 2018 LAK vs. ARI)
First NHL point (Goal) (November 21, 2019 at ARI)
First NHL point (January 24, 2014 (EDM) vs. PHX)
100th career NHL game (November 20, 2017 vs. ARI)
First NHL goal (January 26, 2013 (LAK) at PHX)
100th career NHL point (December 28, 2017 at ARI)
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
POWER PLAY POINTS
21 (Marner, Matthews)
2 (Engvall, Kapanen)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT %
TOI PER GAME
PP TOI PER GAME
SH TOI PER GAME
MAPLE LEAFS PLAYER NOTES
– Tied for second among NHL goaltenders in wins (24).- Has a 10-5-6 record on home ice with a .900 save percentage and a 3.16 goals-against average.- Is 8-3-4 in 16 career appearances against Arizona with a .936 save percentage and a 1.82 goals-against average.- Has a save percentage over .900 in 57.1 percent of his starts this season, which is the sixth-highest percentage among goaltenders who have appeared in 40 games.
– Has five multi-assist games, which is tied for 11th-most among NHL defencemen.- Tied for ninth among NHL defencemen in multi-point games (9). – Scored his first goal as a Maple Leaf on November 21 at Arizona.- Leads the Maple Leafs in slap shots taken (48). Lone Toronto skater to have taken over 30 slap shots.
– Is 3-2-1 in six career games against the Coyotes with a 2.47 goals-against average and a .920 save percentage.
– Ranks sixth among NHL left wingers who have appeared in 50 games in 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage (55.1%). – Ranks 24th among NHLers who have appeared in at least 50 games played in hits per 60 minutes (8.88).
– Has started 40.6 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the third-lowest percentage among NHL rookies who have appeared in at least 30 games.- Has an on-ice goals-for percentage of 57.1 percent at 5-on-5, which is the seventh highest among NHL rookies who have appeared in 30 games.
– Ranks first in 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of (52.5%) among right-handed defencemen who have started less than 45 percent of their 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone (44.5%).- Has the highest unblocked shot attempt percentage at 5-on-5 (52.9%) among right-handed defencemen to have started fewer than 45 percent (44.5%) of their shifts in the offensive zone.
– Had made the second-most saves (373) among NHL goaltenders who have appeared in 15 or fewer games.
– Tied for fourth among Toronto skaters in points since January 1 (5-8-13; 15 GP).- Has 14 points (5-9-14) in 16 games on home ice this season. – Ranks fifth among Maple Leafs skaters in points per game (0.76).
– Averages 1.88 shots per game, which ranks seventh among Toronto forwards.- Has drawn 11 penalties this season, which is tied for fourth-most among Toronto skaters.- Has 46 points (22 goals, 24 assists) in 64 career games on home ice.
– Fifth among Toronto skaters in even-strength points (8-18-26).- Ranks second among Maple Leafs and 14th among NHL right wingers who have appeared in 40 games in assists per 60 minutes of ice time (1.30) at 5-on-5.- Has recorded 10 points (1 goal, 9 assists) in 14 games since January 1.
– Tied for seventh among Maple Leafs in even-strength goals (7). – 10th among Maple Leafs in even-strength points (7-12-19).- Has five points (2-3-5) in seven career games against Arizona.
– Ranks eighth among NHL skaters in assists (43). Has the most assists among NHLers who have appeared in fewer than 50 games.- Has 12 multi-assist games, which is tied for the second-most among NHL skaters.- Averaging 1.27 points per game, which is the seventh-highest average in the NHL.- Averaging 1.97 assists per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, which ranks third among NHLers who have appeared in at least 40 games.- Tied for sixth in the NHL in primary assists (28). His 28 primary assists are the most among NHLers who have appeared in 50 or fewer games.
– Tied for first among NHL skaters in goals (40).- Leads the NHL with 30 even-strength goals.- Leads the NHL in goals scored at 5-on-5 (25).- Leads the NHL in wrist shot goals (24).- Second in the NHL in multi-goal games (10).- Tied for ninth among NHL skaters in points (40-28-68).- Fourth in the NHL with 225 shots on goal.
– Ranks first in goals (25) and second in points (25-24-49) among Swedish skaters this season.- Tied for the Maple Leaf lead in game-winning goals (4).- One of 10 NHLers to average at least 14:00 minutes per game at 5-on-5 (14:32) while maintaining a goal per 60-minute rate of at least 1.20 (1.30).
– Averaging 2.04 points per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5 this season, which is the fourth-highest average among Toronto skaters who have appeared in at least 40 games.- Averaging 1.02 goals per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5 this season, which ranks third among Maple Leafs who have appeared in at least 40 games.- Averaging 1.02 assists per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5 this season, which is seventh among Maple Leafs who have appeared in at least 40 games.
– Tied for 21st among NHL skaters in multi-point games (15).- Has 11 points (6 goals, 5 assists) in 10 games against Pacific Division opponents this season.- Has an on-ice shot attempt percentage of 54.3 percent at 5-on-5 when the Maple Leafs are leading in games, which is the highest percentage when leading among NHL forwards who have appeared in at least 40 games and average 15 minutes per game in 5-on-5 ice time (15:43).- Ranks second among Maple Leafs and 20th among NHLers who have appeared in at least 40 games in shot attempts per 60 minutes of ice time (16.83).- Has drawn a team-high 15 penalties this season.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
Has assists (2) in two consecutive games.
Has goals (5) and points (5-2-7) in four consecutive games.
Five assists from 600 assists
First game as a Maple Leaf (February 7 vs. ANA) First win as a Maple Leaf (February 7 vs. ANA)
First game as a Maple Leaf (February 7 vs. ANA)
200th NHL assist (February 7 vs. ANA)
800th NHL game (February 8 at Montreal)
Frederik Andersen (Neck)
Cody Ceci (Ankle)
On injured reserve.
Ilya Mikheyev (Wrist Laceration)
On injured reserve.
William Nylander (Illness)
Did not play on February 8 at Montreal
Morgan Rielly (Foot)
On injured reserve.
Man Games Lost: 141
Recalled forward Pontus Aberg from the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Placed goaltender Frederik Andersen on injured reserve.
Recalled defenceman Timothy Liljegren from the Toronto Marlies (AHL). Placed defenceman Cody Ceci on injured reserve.
Loaned goaltender Kasimir Kaskisuo to the Toronto Marlies (AHL).
Acquired goaltender Jack Campbell and forward Kyle Clifford from Los Angeles in exchange for forward Trevor Moore, Columbus’ third round pick in 2020 and a conditional third round pick in 2021.