NEW YORK YANKEES (4-3) vs. TORONTO BLUE JAYS (4-3)
THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2022
R H E LOB SERIES
TORONTO BLUE JAYS 0 5 1 11 2
NEW YORK YANKEES 3 8 1 5 2
The game was delayed 1 hour and 30 minutes at the start due to rain
STARTING TIME: 8:35 p.m. TIME OF GAME: 3:06
GAME-TIME TEMPERATURE: 62 degrees ATTENDANCE: 37,255
WINNING PITCHER: Luis Severino (1-0) PITCH COUNTS (Total Pitches/Strikes):
LOSING PITCHER: Kevin Gausman (0-1) Yankees: Luis Severino (83/56)
SAVE: Michael King (1) Blue Jays: Kevin Gausman (83/67)
HOME RUNS (2022 TOTAL / INNING / RUNNERS ON BASE / OUTS / COUNT / PITCHER / SCORE AFTER HR)
YANKEES Blue Jays
NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES
• The Yankees went 4-3 on their season-opening seven-game homestand…embark on their first road trip, with stops in Baltimore (3G from Fri.-Sun.) and
Detroit (3G from 4/19-21).
• Six of the Yankees’seven games have been decided by 3R-or-fewer.
• Play their first 10 games of the season against the AL East (4-3 thus far).
• Yankees pitchers recorded their second shutout of the season and series…have recorded 15 shutouts since the beginning of 2021, tied with Toronto for the
most in the AL in that span and tied for the sixth-most in the Majors in that span, trailing only Milwaukee (19), Atlanta (18), Los Angeles-NL (18 entering today),
San Francisco (18) and St. Louis (16).
• Have posted a 2.49 ERA (65.0IP, 18ER) and 69K in seven games this season…have held opponents to a .197 BA (47-for-238).
• Their 2.49 ERA is their third-lowest ERA through the club’s first seven games of a season in the last 46 years since 1977 (2.10 ERA in first 7G in 1999
and 2.18 ERA in first 7G in 2002).
• Have held opponents to a .107/.175/.179 (6-for-56) slash line with 1 double, 1HR, 9RBI, 3BB/1IBB and 1HP with RISP.
• RHP Luis Severino (5.0IP, 2H, 0R, 2BB, 6K, 1HP) started and earned the win…marked his first win since 9/22/19 vs. Toronto.
• Recorded his 13th career scoreless start and first since 9/22/19 vs. Toronto (0R in 5.0IP).
• In 15 career games (12 starts) vs. Toronto, is 6-3 with a 3.43 ERA (65.2IP, 25ER) and 73K.
• Struck our Vlad Guerrero Jr. three times…according to the YES Network, Severino was the first pitcher to ever strike out Guerrero Jr. three times.
• SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa (3-for-4, 2R, 1 double) picked up his first multi-hit game of the season…picked up 3H after going 1-for-17 in his first five games,
• C Jose Trevino (2-for-3, 2RBI, 1SB) hit RBI singles in the third and fifth innings.
• Stole his second career base in the fifth inning (also 7/28/21 vs. Arizona w/ Texas)…was the first Yankees catcher to steal a base since Austin Romine on
7/20/19 vs. Colorado.
• RF Giancarlo Stanton (1-for-4, 1RBI) hit a single in the sixth inning that had an exit velocity of 116.6 mph, the fourth-hardest hit in the Majors this
season…owns three of the top five hardest hits this season
• Has 6RBI in seven games this season.
• 2B DJ LeMahieu (1-for-4) is a career .343 (70-for-204) batter with 35R, 16 doubles, 1 triple, 9HR, 28RBI and 20BB in 52G vs. the Blue Jays…is his second-highest
BA (min. 10G) against any opponent in his career (Washington – .350BA in 41G)…in 49 games vs. Toronto as a Yankee, has hit .349 (68-for-195) with 35R, 15
doubles, 1 triple, 9HR, 28RBI, 20BB and 2HP…owns the highest BA by any Yankee (min. 100PA) against the Blue Jays (next: Oscar Gamble, .331, 48-for-145).
• CF/RF Aaron Judge (1-for-4, 1R, 1 double) has reached base safely in each of the Yankees’ first seven games and each of his last 11 games dating back to
9/30/21…is batting .310/.383/.595 (13-for-42) with 6R, 3 doubles, 3HR, 4RBI and 5BB over that 11-game on-base streak.
• RHP Michael King (1.0IP, 1K) earned his first career save…entered the game with no outs and the bases loaded and stranded all three runners.
• Yankees relievers tossed 4.0 scoreless innings tonight…have posted a 1.30 ERA (34.2IP, 5ER) and 34K in the Yankees’ first seven games…have tossed at least
4.0IP and allowed 1ER-or-fewer in six of seven games this season.
TORONTO BLUE JAYS NOTES
• The Blue Jays split their four-game set vs. the Yankees (2-2)…are 4-3 to begin the season…will return home for a three-game set vs. Oakland this
weekend (4/15-17) before embarking on a six-game road trip to Boston (4/19-21) and Houston (4/22-24).
• Are still 7-5 in their last 11 games vs. the Yankees (since 9/6/21) and 15-10 in their last 25 games (since 9/23/20).
• RHP Kevin Gausman (5.2IP, 6H, 2ER, 0BB, 9K, 1BK) made his second start of the season and recorded the loss…allowed both runs on RBI singles from
Jose Trevino in the third and fifth innings.
• Has allowed 1BB-or-fewer in 11 straight starts dating back to 8/16/21 at Oakland with San Francisco…is the longest active streak in the Majors by
• Marked his first appearance vs. the Yankees since 6/2/18 with Baltimore…in 25 career games (19) starts vs. the club, is 7-7 with a 3.74 ERA
(118.0IP, 49ER) and 106K.
• SS Bo Bichette (1-for-5, 1 double) hit a double in the first inning…has hit safely in five of seven games to begin the year…three of his seven hits this
season have gone for extra bases (2 doubles, 1HR).
• In 37 career games vs. the Yankees, is batting .311/.350/.589 (47-for-151) with 24R, 12 doubles, 10HR, 30RBI, 10BB and 4SB.
• C Alejandro Kirk (2-for-3, 1BB) reached base a season-high three times.
• 1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (0-for-4) struck out a career-high four times…according to ESPN Stats & Info, is the first player to follow up a 3HR game
(3HR on 4/14) with a four strikeout game since Major League Baseball began tracking batting strikeouts (1910 in NL, 1913 in AL).
UPCOMING PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Date Opponent Probable Pitchers Time-ET TV
Fri., 4/15 at Baltimore LHP Jordan Montgomery (0-0, 8.10) vs. RHP Jordan Lyles (0-1, 9.00) 7:05 p.m. YES
Sat., 4/16 at Baltimore RHP Jameson Taillon (0-1, 3.60) vs. RHP Tyler Wells (0-1, 21.60) 7:05 p.m. YES
Sun., 4/17 at Baltimore LHP Nestor Cortes (0-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Bruce Zimmermann (0-0, 0.00) 1:05 p.m. YES/MLBN
On the Radio: All games carried by WFAN-AM 660/101.9FM and the Yankees Radio Network; Spanish on WADO 1280-AM and YES Network in SA
YANKEES 3, BLUE JAYS 0