PITTSBURGH PENGUINS (37-16-6 – 80 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (32-22-8 – 72 Points)
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2020
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Jake Muzzin put the Maple Leafs on the board at 7:45 of the second period and later had the secondary assist on Kasperi Kapanen’s second period goal and the secondary assist on Zach Hyman’s third period goal. Muzzin has points (2-4-6) in four consecutive games. With three points tonight, Muzzin ties his career-high for points in a game (3 – 8x).
- William Nylander scored the second Toronto goal of the night on the power play at 10:01 of the second period. Nylander has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has seven points (3-4-7) in nine games played during the month of February. Ten of his 27 goals have come against Metropolitan Division opposition.
- Kasperi Kapanen scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 13:04 of the second period. He has scored six of his 12 goals in 18 games against Metropolitan Division teams. He ranks fifth among Maple Leafs in even-strength goals (10).
- Zach Hyman scored the fourth Toronto goal of the night at 3:56 of the third period. Hyman has eight points (5-3-8) over his last eight games played. He has 18 points (9 goals, 9 assists) in 19 games on home ice this season.
- Justin Holl registered the primary assist on Muzzin’s second period goal. He has recorded seven (1 goal, 6 assists) of his 16 points against Metropolitan Division teams.
- John Tavares had the secondary assist on Muzzin’s second period goal and later had the secondary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Tonight’s game is his fifth multi-assist and 16th multi-point game of the season. In 15 games against Metropolitan Division teams this season, he has recorded 19 points (6 goals, 13 assists). He has reached the 30-assist mark for the 10th time in his career.
- Auston Matthews recorded the primary assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Matthews has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 13 points (7-6-3) in 11 games during the month of February. In 31 games on home ice this season, he has recorded 47 points (30 goals, 17 assists).
- Alex Kerfoot registered the primary assist on Kapanen’s second period goal. Kerfoot has five assists in 11 games during the month of February. He ranks seventh among Maple Leafs skaters in primary assists (11).
- Mitch Marner had the primary assist on Hyman’s third period goal. Marner has four points (1-3-4) over his last five games played. He has registered 33 of his 46 assists on home ice this season. He ranks ninth among NHL skaters in primary assists with 29.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 24 shots to earn his 25th win of 2019-20. He is the first Maple Leaf goaltender to earn a shutout against Pittsburgh on home ice since February 1, 2012 (1-0, James Reimer).
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|PITTSBURGH||14 (8)||8 (8)||2 (2)||–||24 (18)|
|TORONTO||10 (10)||10 (8)||10 (9)||–||30 (27)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|PITTSBURGH||24 (18)||13 (13)||20 (19)||–||57 (50)|
|TORONTO||20 (19)||26 (22)||18 (17)||–||64 (58)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||16-8-7 (31 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Pittsburgh||84-80-17-7 (188 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Pittsburgh at Home||47-32-11-3 (93 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||17-14-6 (37 Games)|
|Record vs. Metropolitan Division||8-6-4 (18 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||10 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Wins||15 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Hyman, Spezza – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||4 (Muzzin)|
|Takeaways||1 (Kapanen, Kerfoot, Malgin)|
|Power Play TOI||3:12 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:49 (Holl, Muzzin)|
|Shifts||24 (Five players tied)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||75.0% (Engvall, Kerfoot – 12 for, 4 against)|
|Tied after 1||14-7-4|
|Lead after 2||23-2-2|
|Score one power play goal||10-8-4|
|Do not allow a power play goal||18-8-4|
- The Maple Leafs went 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 1-for-3 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Kyle Clifford, Frederik Gauthier and Jason Spezza started 16.7 percent of their 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Maple Leafs.
- Denis Malgin skated in his first game as a Maple Leaf.
- Justin Holl was on the ice for a team-high 26 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Holl had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 59.1 percent (26 for, 18 against).
- John Tavares was 10-for-13 (77%) in the faceoff circle when taking offensive zone draws.
- Saturday, February 22, 7:00 p.m. vs. Carolina Hurricanes (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Tuesday, February 25, 7:00 p.m. at Tampa Bay Lightning (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, February 27, 7:00 p.m. at Florida Panthers (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Saturday, February 29, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, March 3, 10:30 p.m. at San Jose Sharks (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)