DETROIT RED WINGS (9-25-3 – 21 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (19-14-4 – 42 Points)
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2019
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Zach Hyman opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 17:10 of the second period and later scored the Maple Leafs’ third goal of the night at 8:51 of the third period before adding a secondary assist on Auston Matthews’ second third period goal. Tonight’s game is his second multi-goal and second multi-point performance of the season. Hyman has four points (2-2-4) over his last four games. He has three goals and an assist in five games on home ice this season. Hyman has scored six goals in nine games during the month of December. Tonight’s game ties Hyman’s single-game career-high for points with three (Previous: March 25, 2019 vs. FLA).
- Auston Matthews scored Toronto’s second goal of the game on the power play at 2:18 of the third period and later had the lone assist on Hyman’s third period goal before adding Toronto’s fourth goal of the game at 13:39 of the third period. Matthews has points (4-3-7) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ sixth multi-goal and 13th multi-point game of the season. His six mutli-goal performances are tied for the most in the NHL this season. He has 19 points (12 goals, 7 assists) in 14 career games against Detroit, which is his highest point total against a single opponent.
- Morgan Rielly had the lone assist on Hyman’s second period goal. Rielly has three assists over his last four games. He has three assists in three games against Detroit this season. In 13 games against Atlantic Division opponents, Rielly has recorded 10 points (2-8-10). With his assist in the second period, Rielly tied Phil Kessel for 23rd on the Maple Leafs’ all-time assist register with 213.
- John Tavares registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first third period goal. Tavares has four points (1-3-4) in three games against the Red Wings this season. He has 11 points (5 goals, 6 assists) in 10 games against Atlantic Division opposition.
- Mitch Marner collected the secondary assist on Matthews’ first third period goal and later had the primary assist on Matthews’ second third period goal. Marner has points (4-8-12) in seven consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his sixth multi-assist and ninth multi-point game of 2019-20.
- Michael Hutchinson stopped 29 shots to earn the victory.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|DETROIT||10 (10)||13 (11)||7 (4)||–||30 (25)|
|TORONTO||10 (8)||6 (4)||7 (5)||–||23 (17)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|DETROIT||15 (15)||24 (20)||13 (9)||–||52 (44)|
|TORONTO||25 (23)||15 (13)||11 (9)||–||51 (45)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||9-4-4 (17 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Detroit||293-281-93-5 (672 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Detroit at Home:||175-108-47-3 (333 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||10-9-4 (23 Games)|
|Record vs. Metropolitan Division||7-5-1 (13 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||7 (Mikheyev)|
|Faceoff Wins||9 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Engvall – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Barrie)|
|Power Play TOI||2:29 (Barrie)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:09 (Marner)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||69.2% (Hyman – 18 for, 8 against)|
|Tied after 1||8-5-2|
|Lead after 2||14-1-2|
|Score one power play goal||8-3-2|
|Allow one power play goal||7-6-3|
- The Maple Leafs went 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and went 1-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- At 17:10 of the second period, a video review was initiated to determine whether or not a Zach Hyman shot crossed Detroit’s goal line before the net came off its moorings. Video review determined that the puck completely crossed the Detroit goal line before the net came off its moorings. Result: Goal Toronto
- Frederik Gauthier and Trevor Moore were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 23 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Rielly finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 47.9 percent (23 for, 25 against).
- John Tavares won 71 percent (5 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Monday, December 23, 2:00 p.m. vs. Carolina Hurricanes (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Friday, December 27, 7:00 p.m. at New Jersey Devils (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, December 28, 7:00 p.m. vs. New York Rangers (Sportsnet, Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
- Tuesday, December 31, 6:00 p.m. at Minnesota Wild (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, January 2, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, FAN 590)