TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (31-20-8 – 70 Points) vs.
OTTAWA SENATORS (19-28-11 – 49 Points)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2020
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Auston Matthews opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 4:11 of the first period and later registered the lone assist on Mitch Marner’s third period goal. Matthews has goals (2) and points (2-1-3) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his 23rd multi-point performance of the season, which is tied for the third-most in the NHL. He has three goals and two assists in three games against Ottawa this season. In 15 career games against the Senators, he has recorded 13 goals and nine assists. His 13 goals against Ottawa mark his highest goal total against a single NHL opponent.
- Jake Muzzin scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 1:53 of the second period. He has two assists over his last five games played. He has registered 11 (3-8-11) of his 16 points against Eastern Conference opposition.
- William Nylander scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 11:48 of the second period. Nylander has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. In six games during the month of February, he has recorded five points (2-3-5). He has 27 points (14 goals, 13 assists) in 28 road games this season.
- Mitch Marner scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game into an empty net at 18:46 of the third period. Marner has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has two goals and an assist in three games against the Senators this season. In eight games during the month of February, he has recorded nine points (2 goals, 7 assists).
- Zach Hyman registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal. Hyman has points (3-3-6) in five consecutive games. He has 11 points (3-8-11) in 11 games against Atlantic Division opposition in 2019-20.
- Travis Dermott collected the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal. Dermott has nine points (4-5-9) in 45 games played this season. He has recorded eight (3-5-8) of his nine points on the road in 2019-20.
- Alex Kerfoot recorded the primary assist on Muzzin’s second period goal. Kerfoot has four assists over his last four games. In 15 games against Atlantic Division teams in 2019-20, he has recorded 10 points (4-6-10).
- Timothy Liljegren had the secondary assist on Muzzin’s second period goal. Liljegren’s second period assist is his first career NHL point. He has 29 points (5 goals, 24 assists) in 38 games with the Toronto Marlies prior to being recalled by the Maple Leafs.
- John Tavares notched the lone assist on Nylander’s second period goal. Tavares has assists (3) in three consecutive games and points (5-5-10) in seven consecutive games. He has recorded 28 points (14 goals, 14 assists) in 26 games on the road this season.
- Jack Campbell stopped 25 shots to earn the victory.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||8 (7)||8 (4)||15 (12)||–||31 (23)|
|OTTAWA||9 (7)||6 (6)||12 (9)||–||27 (22)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||12 (9)||18 (12)||19 (16)||–||49 (37)|
|OTTAWA||27 (18)||16 (16)||24 (16)||–||67 (50)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||16-12-1 (29 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Ottawa||56-53-3-11 (123 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Ottawa on the Road||25-31-1-4 (61 Games)|
|Record vs. Eastern Conference||16-12-6 (34 Games)|
|Record vs. Atlantic Division||9-7-2 (18 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||5 (Five players tied)|
|Faceoff Wins||6 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Hyman – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||5 (Clifford, Holl)|
|Blocked Shots||8 (Muzzin)|
|Takeaways||2 (Kapanen, Nylander)|
|Power Play TOI||1:59 (Barrie, Nylander)|
|Shorthanded TOI||4:50 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||65.2% (Tavares – 15 for, 8 against)|
|Lead after 1||15-2-1|
|Lead after 2||22-2-2|
|Do not score a power play goal||13-11-4|
|Do not allow a power play goal||17-7-4|
- The Maple Leafs went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and 0-for-1 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Pierre Engvall, Kasperi Kapanen and Jason Spezza were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Tyson Barrie was on the ice for a team-high 17 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Barrie had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 51.5 percent (17 for, 16 against).
- Auston Matthews won 67 percent (4 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Jake Muzzin established a new career-high for blocked shots in a game (8).
- Sunday, February 16, 7:00 p.m. at Buffalo Sabres (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Tuesday, February 18, 7:00 p.m. at Pittsburgh Penguins (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Thursday, February 20, 7:00 p.m. vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, February 22, 7:00 p.m. vs. Carolina Hurricanes (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Tuesday, February 25, 7:00 p.m. at Tampa Bay Lightning (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)