Zach Hyman opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 17:10 of the second period and later scored the Maple Leafs’ third goal of the night at 8:51 of the third period before adding a secondary assist on Auston Matthews’ second third period goal. Tonight’s game is his second multi-goal and second multi-point performance of the season. Hyman has four points (2-2-4) over his last four games. He has three goals and an assist in five games on home ice this season. Hyman has scored six goals in nine games during the month of December. Tonight’s game ties Hyman’s single-game career-high for points with three (Previous: March 25, 2019 vs. FLA).
Auston Matthews scored Toronto’s second goal of the game on the power play at 2:18 of the third period and later had the lone assist on Hyman’s third period goal before adding Toronto’s fourth goal of the game at 13:39 of the third period. Matthews has points (4-3-7) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ sixth multi-goal and 13th multi-point game of the season. His six mutli-goal performances are tied for the most in the NHL this season. He has 19 points (12 goals, 7 assists) in 14 career games against Detroit, which is his highest point total against a single opponent.
Morgan Rielly had the lone assist on Hyman’s second period goal. Rielly has three assists over his last four games. He has three assists in three games against Detroit this season. In 13 games against Atlantic Division opponents, Rielly has recorded 10 points (2-8-10). With his assist in the second period, Rielly tied Phil Kessel for 23rd on the Maple Leafs’ all-time assist register with 213.
John Tavares registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first third period goal. Tavares has four points (1-3-4) in three games against the Red Wings this season. He has 11 points (5 goals, 6 assists) in 10 games against Atlantic Division opposition.
Mitch Marner collected the secondary assist on Matthews’ first third period goal and later had the primary assist on Matthews’ second third period goal. Marner has points (4-8-12) in seven consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his sixth multi-assist and ninth multi-point game of 2019-20.
Michael Hutchinson stopped 29 shots to earn the victory.
The Maple Leafs went 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and went 1-for-2 on the power play tonight.
At 17:10 of the second period, a video review was initiated to determine whether or not a Zach Hyman shot crossed Detroit’s goal line before the net came off its moorings. Video review determined that the puck completely crossed the Detroit goal line before the net came off its moorings. Result: Goal Toronto
Frederik Gauthier and Trevor Moore were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 23 Toronto shot attempts-for at 5-on-5 tonight. Rielly finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 47.9 percent (23 for, 25 against).
John Tavares won 71 percent (5 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
Monday, December 23, 2:00 p.m. vs. Carolina Hurricanes (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
Friday, December 27, 7:00 p.m. at New Jersey Devils (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
Saturday, December 28, 7:00 p.m. vs. New York Rangers (Sportsnet, Sportsnet 590 The FAN)
Tuesday, December 31, 6:00 p.m. at Minnesota Wild (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
Thursday, January 2, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, FAN 590)
SCOTIABANK ARENA (TORONTO, ON) ▪ TV: SPORTSNET/HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA
▪ RADIO: SPORTSNET 590 THE FAN
MAPLE LEAFS HISTORY versus DETROIT
292-281-93-5 (671 Games)
ALL-TIME AT HOME:
174-108-47-3 (332 Games)
MAPLE LEAFS CAREER LEADERS versus DETROIT
Morgan Rielly (26), John Tavares (24), Jason Spezza (23)
Auston Matthews (10), John Tavares (10), Jason Spezza (8)
John Tavares (24), Morgan Rielly (12), Jason Spezza (9)
John Tavares (34), Jason Spezza (17), Auston Matthews (16)
Mitch Marner (10), Jason Spezza (10), Jake Muzzin (9)
MAPLE LEAFS – RED WINGS TEAM STATS
GOALS FOR (Rank):
GOALS AGAINST (Rank):
POWER PLAY [%] (Rank):
20/96 [20.8%] (12th)
19/115 [16.5%] (25th)
PENALTY KILL [%] (Rank):
83/108 [76.8%] (t-25th)
80/109 [73.4%] (30th)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPTS FOR (Rank):
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT % (Rank):
FACEOFF % (Rank):
MAPLE LEAFS – RED WINGS NOTES
FIRST MATCHUP BETWEEN CLUBS:
January 4, 1927 at Detroit (Toronto 2, Detroit Cougars 1)
292-281-93-5 (671 Games)
ALL-TIME RECORD AT HOME:
174-108-47-3 (332 Games)
ALL-TIME RECORD ON THE ROAD:
118-173-46-2 (339 Games)
LAST WIN VS. OPPONENT ON THE ROAD:
December 23, 2018 (Toronto 5, Detroit 4 OT)
MAPLE LEAFS MILESTONES vs. RED WINGS
First NHL game (Dec. 23, 2018 vs. DET) First NHL point (Assist) (Dec. 23, 2018 vs. DET)
100th NHL game (Jan. 18, 2014 (LAK) at DET) First game as a Maple Leaf (Feb. 1, 2019 at DET)
100th NHL game (Dec. 10, 2013 at DET) 100th NHL assist (Oct. 18, 2017 vs. DET)
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
20 (Marner, Rielly)
POWER PLAY POINTS
2 (Engvall, Kapanen)
5-on-5 SHOT ATTEMPT %
55.7% (Matthews, Nylander)
TOI PER GAME
PP TOI PER GAME
SH TOI PER GAME
MAPLE LEAFS PLAYER NOTES
– Is 8-4-3 at home this season with a 2.67 goals-against average and a .914 save percentage. – Has made 10 career appearances against the Red Wings and is 9-0-1 with a 2.28 goals-against average and a .926 save percentage.- Leads the NHL in wins (18).- First in the NHL in saves (823) and second in even-strength saves (694).- Tied for third in the NHL in shootout saves (11).
– Averaging 14.2 shot attempts per 60 minutes of ice time, which is the seventh-highest average among NHL defencemen who have appeared in 30 games. – Has been on the ice for the sixth-most shot attempts for (696) among NHL skaters. – Has an on-ice shot attempt differential of plus-130, which is tied for eighth among NHL defencemen.
– Has an on-ice goal differential of plus-seven at even-strength, which is tied for the third highest even-strength goal differential among Toronto skaters.- Ninth among NHL skaters in shorthanded time on ice (112:38).- Has played 61.3 percent of Toronto’s shorthanded ice time, which is tied for the 11th-highest shorthanded time on ice percentage among NHLers who have appeared in at least 30 games.
– Has started his 44.1 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which is the lowest mark among Toronto defencemen who have appeared in at least 10 games.- Has an unblocked shot attempt percentage of 52.8 percent at 5-on-5, which is tied for the second-highest percentage among Toronto defencemen who have appeared in at least 10 games.
– Sixth among NHL goaltenders who have appeared in fewer than 10 games in saves (197).
– Has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 52.9 percent, which ranks 10th among Toronto skaters who have played 10 games. – Averaging 15:36 per game in even-strength ice time, which ranks seventh among Maple Leafs.
– Has a pair of assists in two games against Detroit in 2019-20.- Seventh among Toronto skaters in even-strength points (6-8-14).- Has played 36.3 percent of the Maple Leafs’ shorthanded ice time, which ranks fourth among Toronto forwards.
– Sixth among Toronto skaters in even-strength goals (5).- Lone Toronto forward to have recorded at least 20 hits (27) and 20 blocked shots (23) this season.
– Averaging 0.52 primary assists per game, which ranks eighth among NHLers who have appeared in at least 20 games.- First among NHLers who have appeared in 25 or fewer games in primary assists (13).- Tied for second in the NHL in takeaways (38). Averages 4.48 takeaways per 60 minutes of ice time, which ranks second among NHLers who have skated in at least 20 games.- Ninth among NHL forwards in shifts per game (25.5).
– Tied for fourth among NHL skaters in goals (21).- Second among NHL skaters in even-strength goals (16).- 12th among NHL skaters in even-strength points (16-11-27).- Ninth in the NHL with 131 shots on goal.- Has an on-ice goals-for percentage of 59.2 percent at 5-on-5, which is third among Toronto skaters.
– Averaging 9.1 shots on goal per 60 minutes of shorthanded ice time, which is tied for the second-highest average among NHLers who have played at least 60 shorthanded minutes.- Leads all NHL rookies in shorthanded ice time (72:20).- Leads NHL rookies and is third among Maple Leafs in even-strength points (6-14-20).
– Has drawn nine penalties this season, which leads Toronto defencemen and is tied for ninth among NHL defencemen.- Averages 0:47 in ice time per shift, which is tied for the fourth-lowest average shift length among defencemen who average at least 21:00 per game in ice time.
– Has recorded nine primary assists, which is tied for third among Toronto skaters. – Averages 2.29 points per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, which ranks fifth among Maple Leafs skaters.- Has recorded 11 points (6 goals, 5 assists) in 15 career games against Detroit, which is tied for his second highest point total against a single opponent.
– Tied for 16th among NHL defencemen in points (3-20-23).- Tied for 11th among NHL defencemen in even-strength points (3-14-17).- Tied for fourth among NHL defencemen in assists recorded at 5-on-5 (13).- Ranks 12th among NHL skaters in TOI per game (24:26).- Tied for eighth among NHL skaters in shifts per game (28.5).
– Averaging 2.37 points per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5 this season, which is tied for third Toronto skaters.- Averaging 1.31 primary assists per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time in 2019-20, which leads the Maple Leafs and is the seventh-highest average among NHLers who have appeared in at least 20 games.
– Has three points (2 goals, 1 assist) in two games against Detroit this season and has 34 points (10 goals, 24 assists) in 24 career games against the Red Wings. – Averaging 17.01 shot attempts per 60 minutes of ice time at 5-on-5, which is the fourth-highest average among NHL centres who have appeared in 20 games.- Averaging 9.04 shots on goal at 5-on-5 per 60 minutes of ice time, which ranks 14th among NHL centres who have appeared in 20 games.- Has a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 54.9 percent, which ranks fourth among Toronto skaters who have appeared in at least 20 games.
CURRENT POINT STREAKS
Has points (4-6-10) in six consecutive games.
Has points (2-2-4) in two consecutive games.
Has goals (3) and points (3-1-4) in three consecutive games.
Has assists (2) and points (2-2-4) in two consecutive games.
Three points from 100 NHL points
200th NHL win (December 14 at Edmonton)
Andreas Johnsson (Leg)
On injured reserve.
Trevor Moore (Shoulder)
On injured reserve.
Man Games Lost: 74
Recalled forward Adam Brooks and defenceman Martin Marincin from the Toronto Marlies (AHL) on an emergency basis.
Loaned forward Adam Brooks and defencemen Timothy Liljegren and Martin Marincin to the Toronto Marlies (AHL).
Recalled forward Adam Brooks from the Toronto Marlies (AHL) on an emergency basis.
Recalled defencemen Timothy Liljegren and Martin Marincin from the Toronto Marlies (AHL) on an emergency basis.
RED WINGS NOTES
LAST GAME DET 3 vs. CBJ 5 (12/17/19) 1ST PERIOD: DET Erne (Nielsen, Perlini) 5:11-EV; CBJ Atkinson (Dubois, Jones) 11:02-EV; CBJ Bjorkstrand (Nyquist, Jenner) 12:06- EV; DET Erne (Glendening, Bowey) 17:17-EV 2ND PERIOD: DET Bertuzzi (Larkin, Hronek) 1:58-PP; CBJ Stenlund (Atkinson, Jones) 6:54-PP 3RD PERIOD: CBJ Dubois (Texier) 1:19-EV; CBJ Nyquist (Bjorkstrand) 19:53-EN SHOTS: DET 21 (4-6-11) / CBJ 39 (13-14-12)
GOALIES: DET Bernier (L, 34-38) / CBJ Korpisalo (W, 18-21) PP: DET 1-3 / CBJ 1-2
MAN GAMES LOST (games missed / out since) Danny DeKeyser – Back (28 / Oct. 23) Jonathan Ericsson – Upper Body (10 / Dec. 17) Jimmy Howard – Mid-Body (8 / Nov. 29) Total Man Games Lost: 137 Individual Man Games Lost: Trevor Daley (20), Justin Abdelkader (15), Luke Glendening (11), Mike Green (8), Adam Erne (8), Anthony Mantha (8), Patrik Nemeth (6), Andreas Athanasiou (4), Frans Nielsen (4), Givani Smith (3), Filip Hronek (2), Dennis Cholowski (1), Darren Helm (1)
RECENT TRANSACTIONS 12/14 – Assigned D Dylan McIlrath to Grand Rapids…Removed RW Antony Mantha from IR 12/16 – Placed G Jimmy Howard on LTIR retroactive to 11/27…Placed D Jonathan Ericsson on IR 12/17 – Recalled D Brian Lashoff from Grand Rapids…Assigned G Jimmy Howard to Grand Rapids for conditioning 12/19 – Lost G Eric Comrie on waivers to WPG…Recalled G Calvin Pickard from Grand Rapids
RED WINGS at MAPLE LEAFS TONIGHT: 672nd all-time game, 333rd in TOR…3rd of 4 games this season, 1st of 2 in TOR
ALL-TIME vs. TOR: 286-285-93-7 / ROAD: 111-171-47-3 / LAST 10: 3-6-1 / IN 2018-19: 2-1-1 / THIS SEASON: 0-2 DET top scorers vs. TOR: Mike Green (5-20-25 in 42 GP), Frans Nielsen (10-8-18 in 41 GP), Dylan Larkin (6-7-13 in 17 GP), Justin Abdelkader (5-4-9 in 23 GP), Valtteri Filppula (4-5-9 in 27 GP)
TOR top scorers vs. DET: John Tavares (10-24-33 in 24 GP), Auston Matthews (10-6-16 in 13 GP), Jason Spezza (8-9-17 in 23 GP), Morgan Reilly (4-12-16 in 26 GP), Tyson Barrie (4-7-11 in 14 GP)
MILESTONES: Mike Green scored his 1st NHL goal on 2/3/06 vs. TOR (with WSH)…Darren Helm recorded his 1st career hat trick on 3/29/14 at TOR…Dylan Larkin scored in his NHL debut on 10/9/15 vs. TOR…Filip Hronek had his 1st NHL assist/point on 10/11/18 vs. TOR…Christoffer Ehn had his 1st NHL assist/point (10/11/18 vs. TOR) and goal (12/23/18 at TOR) against TOR.
NOTES: DET G Jonathan Bernier spent 3 seasons in TOR, compiling a 59-68-17 record, 2.81 GAA, 0.915 save percentage and six shutouts in 151 games from 2013-16…DET D Trevor Daley grew up in Toronto, where he played in his 1,000th NHL game on 12/23/18…DET G Calvin Pickard spent the 2017-18 season in TOR’s organization, playing 1 NHL game for TOR and winning a Calder Cup with the AHL Marlies, posting a 21-9-1 record in 33 regular-season games…TOR F Auston Matthews (2013-15) is a graduate of the U.S. NTDP in Ann Arbor/Plymouth, MI…TOR F Zach Hyman was Dylan Larkin’s linemate at the University of Michigan in 2014-15 and totaled 89 points (35-54-89) in 151 games at the school from 2011-15…TOR F Jason Spezza started his pro career with the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins by skating in 3 playoff games in 2001-02…TOR president Brendan Shanahan won three Stanley Cups with DET and amassed 633 points (309-324-633) in 716 games from 1996-06. RECENT RECAPS Dec. 17 vs. CBJ – 5-3 L DET fell to 0-2 against CBJ this season and has lost 6-straight home games to CBJ…Adam Erne scored twice, marking his 1st points with DET and 1st goals since 3/5/19 vs. WPG (with TB)…Erne’s 2-goal game marks his 6th career multi-point game and 3rd multi-goal game…Madison Bowey picked up an assist to give him 3 points (1-2-3) in 2 games…Tyler Bertuzzi stretched his point streak to 3 games (2-1-3), his 4th such streak this season…Since 1999-00, only 6 Red Wings have reached 40 career goals quicker than Bertuzzi (164 games): Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Henrik Zetterberg, Anthony Mantha, Dylan Larkin and Athanasiou…Filip Hronek logged an assist to become the 4th DET D since 1979-80 to record 30-or-more assists in his first 80 career games, joining Nicklas Lidstrom (49), Yves Racine (43) and Jeff Sharples (32).
HEATING UP DET’s Filip Zadina has found the back of the net in 2 of his last 4 games. After starting the season by producing 13 points (7-6-13) in 20 games for the Grand Rapids Griffins, Zadina ranks as one of the NHL’s top rookies since his initial callup on 11/24. Below is a look at the top point-producing rookies since that date:
Benching an alternate captain is not something any NHL head coach ever wants to have to do but that is exactly what Detroit Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill did to Justin Abdelkader. Abdelkader was a healthy scratch on Tuesday against the Columbus Blue Jackets, something found out prior to the morning skate. Embed from […]
Crease is the word for the Maple Leafs this weekend. While goalie Frederik Andersen gets a chance for a ninth win in his past 13 starts on Friday at Madison Square Garden, Saturday’s home game versus the Detroit Red Wings will be Michael Hutchinson’s chance to end an embarrassing personal six-game losing streak. It will […]