Clippers rookie Terance Mann underwent surgery Tuesday to repair a ligament in his right hand, the team announced Wednesday. There’s no current timetable for Mann’s return to basketball — which, of course, has been put on hold indefinitely more broadly after the NBA suspended the season last week in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.…Clippers rookie Terance Mann undergoes hand surgery — Press Telegram
Read More: The Maple Leafs’ ECHL championship farm team won’t get a chance to defend its title.Leafs’ farm team rocked by COVID-19 closure — Toronto Sun
The Maple Leafs’ ECHL championship farm team won’t get a chance to defend its title.
But that’s the least of the problems for management of the Newfoundland Growlers, who had to recall the team from a road trip two time zones away, deal with the cancellation (not just postponement) of its entire season, then test and get its players off The Rock before borders and flights shut down.
“It’s disappointing for our people here, but as we live every day, you see how big (COVID-19) is globally,” Growlers Chief Operating Officer Glenn Stanford told Postmedia on Wednesday. “This is bigger than the sporting world.
“We were in the Toronto area, scheduled to play in Kalamazoo, Mich., on Thursday (March 12), made the decision to stay where we were and were instructed by the league to go home Saturday (on a commercial flight).”
The 26-team league’s board of governors and the Professional Hockey Players Association decided to end the regular season and playoffs that day.
Wilson Chandler is not a happy camper. The Nets forward claims he’s been asked to avoid his apartment common areas after four Brooklyn players (including injured star Kevin Durant) tested positive for COVID-19 Tuesday. Only one player reportedly has exhibited symptoms as of Tuesday, while three others are asymptomatic. And while it’s unclear which other…Nets Player Told To Avoid Apartment Common Areas Due To Coronavirus — NESN.com
The Woodbine jockeys’ colony will be losing one standout this season but gaining another. Read MoreTop British jockey Holland planning to make Woodbine his home in 2020 — Toronto Sun
Eurico da Silva, the leading rider at the Etobicoke track the past five consecutive years, retired at the end of the 2019 season after winning 182 races in the campaign, including 19 stakes wins while topping the standings in earnings with his mounts earning more than $9.8 million.
With the personable da Silva out of the picture, the thought is that a number of the other top jocks at the track — including Rafael Hernandez, Kazushi Kimura, Luis Contreras and Emma-Jayne Wilson — would be vying for the title in 2020.
And they still will be. But the challenge of winning the jockey championship has become much more daunting for everybody with the news that top British jock Darryll Holland plans to make Woodbine his permanent base in 2020.
By Elio Velez
March 18, 2020
National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Michele Roberts expressed optimism the league will return to play, but also admitted more players eventually could test positive for the coronavirus.
Roberts revealed her thoughts to USA Today on Tuesday and said she is trying to keep the players informed of what will happen in the weeks and upcoming month about the pandemic.
Seven NBA players, including Brooklyn superstar Kevin Durant and three other unnamed Nets have tested positive for the virus.
The 64-year old Roberts said she is certain more players will test positive after some notable names already have.
“I was mortified any of our players would test positive. But the more I learned about the likelihood of fatalities among all of us given our ages and pre-existing conditions, I have learned to embrace the probability that many of our players will be positive for the virus,” Roberts said.
“They want to understand exactly what the health risks are. So whatever information we can impart, we do. We are (as) vigilant as we can and try to update them.”
While the coronavirus outbreak in the NBA seems bad, with seven cases reported that we know of, the situation in San Francisco’s metro area is far worse. That’s why the Golden State Warriors have declined to use up valuable COVID-19 tests. “We’ve been told that testing’s in short supply,” Warriors general manager Bob Myers said…Here’s Why Warriors Declined Coronavirus Testing Amid NBA’s Outbreak — NESN.com
While the coronavirus outbreak in the NBA seems bad, with seven cases reported that we know of, the situation in San Francisco’s metro area is far worse.
That’s why the Golden State Warriors have declined to use up valuable COVID-19 tests.
“We’ve been told that testing’s in short supply,” Warriors general manager Bob Myers said on a conference call, per USA Today’s Mark Medina. “We’re treating ourselves like people, which is what we are. We’re not better than anybody. We’re not worse. We’re just a basketball team, like any company. Right now, we’re not interacting with anybody. I’ve been told by our doctors that we shouldn’t be testing asymptomatic people in California.”
This decision by the team comes in the aftermath of four Brooklyn Nets, including Kevin Durant, testing positive for the coronavirus, despite the Warriors having been scheduled to play the Nets last Thursday.
Still, six Bay Area counties announced “shelter in place” orders for their residents, requiring everyone to stay inside their homes for the next three weeks as of Monday, March 16. This is the strictest measure taken in any city in the United States so far.
Head coach Steve Kerr’s mentality was that if none of their players show symptoms, the tests should go to those who actually need them.
“If any of our players do come down sick or any of our employees do, we’ll do our best to get them a test,” Kerr said. “But there’s definitely frustration that we don’t all have access to them. But there’s nothing we can do about it.”
Major League Soccer is shut down, but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC players are sitting in their rec rooms all day kicking a nerf ball around with their kids. Read More TFC players staying home, but staying fit — Toronto Sun
Major League Soccer is shut down, but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC players are sitting in their rec rooms all day kicking a nerf ball around with their kids. Read MoreTFC players staying home, but staying fit — Toronto Sun
The culinary crew at Staples Center in Los Angeles had just stocked up for an 11-night-and-day run of Lakers and Clippers basketball and Kings hockey games when the NBA and NHL collectively decided to suspend all games last week due to the continuing global spread of the novel coronavirus. “We had a lot of food…Staples Center, Honda Center donate thousands of pounds of food during event suspension due to coronavirus — Press Telegram
Bob Baffert trains three hot Kentucky Derby hopefuls in Authentic, Nadal and Charlatan. All three are unbeaten and showing no signs of slowing down as the Hall of Fame trainer seeks a record-tying sixth Derby victory. But if he’s despondent over Churchill Downs’ announcement Tuesday that the 146th Kentucky Derby is being pushed back to…Bob Baffert expects Triple Crown to be ‘scrapped’ due to coronavirus concerns — Daily News