NBA Rumors: Las Vegas Has Emerged As ‘Best Location’ If League Returns — NESN.com

We’re in the midst of unprecedented times. So, with the NBA doing everything it can to try to salvage its season, while still attempting to do so with a sense of normalcy, the league could look to a familiar location. CNBC’s Jabari Young reported last week the league could venture to Las Vegas and thus accomplish both.…

NBA Rumors: Las Vegas Has Emerged As ‘Best Location’ If League Returns — NESN.com
We’re in the midst of unprecedented times. So, with the NBA doing everything it can to try to salvage its season, while still attempting to do so with a sense of normalcy, the league could look to a familiar location.
CNBC’s Jabari Young reported the league could venture to Las Vegas and thus accomplish both. “According to NBA executives and agents who discussed the matter with CNBC on condition of anonymity, the league remains focused on a return after suspending operations following Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert testing positive for COVID-19 earlier this month. Las Vegas has emerged as the best location to resume the season, according to league executives,”
Young wrote Thursday. Why Las Vegas? The NBA has held summer league tournaments on the campus of UNLV. Over the past two years, all 30 NBA teams have participated, which depicts how organizations have found ways to play at one central, and determined, location.
CNBC added how the decision could help the NBA “retain some of its revenue domestically and perhaps in China,” which The Washington Post reported could cost the league $1 billion. An NBA spokesperson told CNBC the league has “considered many scenarios,” but it is not close to unveiling a plan yet. NBA commissioner Adam Silver had previously said he’s ‘optimistic,’ but added that he didn’t have a good sense for how long it could be.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/03/nba-rumors-las-vegas-has-emerged-as-best-location-if-league-returns/

TRAIKOS: League shutdown could spell end of career for Bruins’ Zdeno Chara — Toronto Sun

While the NHL was put on hold, Zdeno Chara celebrated his 43rd birthday. Read More

TRAIKOS: League shutdown could spell end of career for Bruins’ Zdeno Chara — Toronto Sun

While the NHL was put on hold, Zdeno Chara celebrated his 43rd birthday.

Well, celebrated might be too strong a word.

Chara, whose birthday fell on March 18, was supposed to be in Anaheim for a game against the Ducks. Instead, he spent the day in his car completing a 20-plus hour drive from Boston to his off-season home in Florida with his wife and three kids.

“Strange times,” said Chara, who joked during an online conference call with three other Atlantic Division captains on Monday that it could have been worse. At least Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask and notoriously gassy stomach wasn’t also on the road trip.

“The way he farts,” said Chara, “the smell is awful.”

That joke got a big laugh out of Toronto’s John Tavares, Ottawa’s Brady Tkachuk and Detroit’s Dylan Larkin. But for most of the call, Chara was somber, if not serious, about how things have changed because of the coronavirus.

The severity of COVID-19 has halted the NHL’s regular season and crippled life as we know it. Normally, Chara might have gone out to dinner to celebrate his birthday. This time, he wisely kept it more low key.

“You reach a certain age,” he said, “and you try to hide it.”

That Chara would seek refuge down south made sense for a number of reasons. For one, it’s a lot warmer in Florida than it is in Boston. Chara said he has a pool where he can stay in shape swimming laps and plenty of room outside for him and his kids to run around and play.

TRAIKOS: League shutdown could spell end of career for Bruins’ Zdeno Chara — Toronto Sun

Remy Martin Declares for NBA Draft — Sports360AZ

Arizona State’s Remy Martin started his career as a spark off the bench in the inception of the 2017 “Guard U” team. He quickly developed into one of the most reliable players in the Bobby Hurley era. On Monday, Martin declared for the 2020 NBA Draft. Arizona State junior point guard Remy Martin has declared […]

Remy Martin Declares for NBA Draft — Sports360AZ

The 6-foot, 170-pound point guard averaged 19.1 points, 4.1 assists and 33.8 minutes per game in his junior season. The 2020 All-Pac-12 First Team selection still has flexibility to return to the college ranks before June 15 if he does not hire an agent.

Sam Vecenie, who covers the NBA Draft for The Athletic, feels Martin should listen to feedback from the NBA before deciding whether to head to the draft. 

“Nothing about it here, but I hope Remy Martin keeps his options open to return to school,” Vecenie said in a tweet. “Don’t think he’s a top-100 NBA prospect right now, even though I think he made significant strides this year.”

Martin is the 2017 Pac-12 6th Man of the Year and a two-time All-Conference selection. 

The point guard is one of the highest-rated recruits to ever come to Tempe along with current Sun Devils Romello White and Kimani Lawrence.  Share Tweet Share

Report: Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving want a ‘big name’ at head coach — Nets Wire

When the NBA went on hiatus, Jacque Vaughn was the interim head coach of the Brooklyn Nets. But that may not last past 2019-20.

Report: Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving want a ‘big name’ at head coach — Nets Wire

CFL postpones training camps — Toronto Sun

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the Canadian Football League to postpone the opening of training camps next month. Read More

CFL postpones training camps — Toronto Sun

The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the Canadian Football League to postpone the opening of training camps next month.

“The ongoing global pandemic and the resulting directives issued by various governments make it unsafe to proceed with plans to gather our athletes and coaches together as scheduled,” Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a Monday release.

Rookie camps were due to open May 13, with the main camps to follow May 17. The full 81-game schedule would have kicked off June 11. The CFL did not issue new opening dates but the schedule will obviously have to be shortened significantly if the league hopes to have the Grey Cup played in Regina on Nov. 22.

League officials have said they could realistically go as low as eight games per team but no number has been decided on yet.

“As for our future plans, we are in the hands of our public health officials, the advice they are providing governments, and the directives those governments are issuing to us all, and we acknowledge their timetable will be dictated by the virus itself,” Ambrosie continued. “We will make further decisions when we can and share them with our fans and the public as soon as possible.

“The CFL and its member clubs would like to take this opportunity to thank our fans, partners, players, prospects, coaches and staff, for their dedication and patience as we face this challenge. We are facing it together, even if we have to be physically apart.”

more

CFL postpones training camps — Toronto Sun

Lionel Messi agrees to 70% pay cut, will donate to club workers amid coronavirus pandemic —

Soccer star Lionel Messi and his Barcelona teammates agreed to a 70% pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Lionel Messi agrees to 70% pay cut, will donate to club workers amid coronavirus pandemic —

Soccer star Lionel Messi and his Barcelona teammates agreed to a 70% pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

Messi will also make an undisclosed financial contribution so that no Barcelona workers will have their wages docked with soccer suspended in the country because of Spain’s state of emergency — in place since March 12. Spain has had more than 85,000 COVID-19 positive cases and 7,000 deaths since the outbreak. 

Messi said in a statement posted to social media Sunday, speaking on behalf of Barcelona’s first-team players, that previous reports about team members rejecting the club’s proposal for salary cuts were misconstrued. According to ESPN, an agreement has been reached between the players and the club, affecting the men’s first team and all professional teams — including basketball. 

“We want to clarify that our desire has always been for a reduction to be applied to our salaries because we understand that this is an exceptional situation and we are the first that have ALWAYS helped the club with what they have asked of us,” the statement by Messi read.

“Many times we have even done things on our own accord, at moments when we felt it necessary or important to do so. For that reason, it surprises us that from inside the club there would be people that want to put us under a magnifying glass or try to pressure us into something that we were always clear we wanted to do. In fact, if the agreement has dragged on, it’s because we were looking for a formula to help the club and its workers in these difficult times.

“For our part, the moment has arrived to announce that, aside from the 70% wage cut during the State of Emergency, we are going to also make contributions so that all the club’s employees can earn 100% of their salaries for as long as this situation lasts.”

Kobe Bryant’s towel from finale sold for $33,000 — TwistArticle

Washington, March 30 (IANS) The towel which basketball legend Kobe Bryant had drapped over his shoulders during his farewell speech following his final game in 2016 has been sold for more than $33,000. Bryant’s towel, along with two tickets to his final game, were sold at a virtual auction on Sunday for a total of […]

Kobe Bryant’s towel from finale sold for $33,000 — TwistArticle

Celtics’ Guard Marcus Smart Announces He’s Finally ‘Corona Free’ — NESN.com

The coronavirus didn’t want the smoke. Marcus Smart was recently diagnosed as the only Boston Celtics player to test positive for COVID-19. The guard reported no symptoms, and now, he’s already been cleared. “Corona Free as of two days ago,” Smart said in a Tweet on Sunday evening. “Cleared by Mass Dept of Health. Thanks…

Celtics’ Guard Marcus Smart Announces He’s Finally ‘Corona Free’ — NESN.com

SoFi Stadium construction worker has coronavirus, others enter self-quarantine — Daily News

A worker on the site of the Rams’ and Chargers’ new stadium in Inglewood tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and others who were in close contact with that person are in self-quarantine, the construction companies said Sunday. The Turner/AECOM Hunt construction team said in a statement that the infected worker is “doing well” and…

SoFi Stadium construction worker has coronavirus, others enter self-quarantine — Daily News