NBPA Executive Director Michele Roberts: Many more players could catch coronavirus — New York Post

https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/nbapa-executive-many-more-players-will-catch-coronavirus/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

By Elio Velez

March 18, 2020

National Basketball Players Association Executive Director Michele Roberts expressed optimism the league will return to play, but also admitted more players eventually could test positive for the coronavirus.

Roberts revealed her thoughts to USA Today on Tuesday and said she is trying to keep the players informed of what will happen in the weeks and upcoming month about the pandemic.

Seven NBA players, including Brooklyn superstar Kevin Durant and three other unnamed Nets have tested positive for the virus.

The 64-year old Roberts said she is certain more players will test positive after some notable names already have.

SEE ALSO

Kevin Durant among Nets tested positive for coronavirus

“I was mortified any of our players would test positive. But the more I learned about the likelihood of fatalities among all of us given our ages and pre-existing conditions, I have learned to embrace the probability that many of our players will be positive for the virus,” Roberts said.

“They want to understand exactly what the health risks are. So whatever information we can impart, we do. We are (as) vigilant as we can and try to update them.”

Here’s Why Warriors Declined Coronavirus Testing Amid NBA’s Outbreak — NESN.com

While the coronavirus outbreak in the NBA seems bad, with seven cases reported that we know of, the situation in San Francisco’s metro area is far worse. That’s why the Golden State Warriors have declined to use up valuable COVID-19 tests. “We’ve been told that testing’s in short supply,” Warriors general manager Bob Myers said…

Here’s Why Warriors Declined Coronavirus Testing Amid NBA’s Outbreak — NESN.com

While the coronavirus outbreak in the NBA seems bad, with seven cases reported that we know of, the situation in San Francisco’s metro area is far worse.

That’s why the Golden State Warriors have declined to use up valuable COVID-19 tests.

“We’ve been told that testing’s in short supply,” Warriors general manager Bob Myers said on a conference call, per USA Today’s Mark Medina. “We’re treating ourselves like people, which is what we are. We’re not better than anybody. We’re not worse. We’re just a basketball team, like any company. Right now, we’re not interacting with anybody. I’ve been told by our doctors that we shouldn’t be testing asymptomatic people in California.”

This decision by the team comes in the aftermath of four Brooklyn Netsincluding Kevin Durant, testing positive for the coronavirus, despite the Warriors having been scheduled to play the Nets last Thursday.

Still, six Bay Area counties announced “shelter in place” orders for their residents, requiring everyone to stay inside their homes for the next three weeks as of Monday, March 16. This is the strictest measure taken in any city in the United States so far.

Head coach Steve Kerr’s mentality was that if none of their players show symptoms, the tests should go to those who actually need them.

“If any of our players do come down sick or any of our employees do, we’ll do our best to get them a test,” Kerr said. “But there’s definitely frustration that we don’t all have access to them. But there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Brooklyn traveled to San Francisco Wednesday night, right before the NBA suspended its season in response to Rudy Gobert’s positive diagnosis.

NBA Rumors: Lakers To Be Tested For COVID-19 After Four Nets Test Positive

TFC players staying home, but staying fit — Toronto Sun

Major League Soccer is shut down, but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC players are sitting in their rec rooms all day kicking a nerf ball around with their kids. Read More TFC players staying home, but staying fit — Toronto Sun

Major League Soccer is shut down, but that doesn’t mean Toronto FC players are sitting in their rec rooms all day kicking a nerf ball around with their kids. Read More

TFC players staying home, but staying fit — Toronto Sun

Staples Center, Honda Center donate thousands of pounds of food during event suspension due to coronavirus — Press Telegram

The culinary crew at Staples Center in Los Angeles had just stocked up for an 11-night-and-day run of Lakers and Clippers basketball and Kings hockey games when the NBA and NHL collectively decided to suspend all games last week due to the continuing global spread of the novel coronavirus. “We had a lot of food…

Staples Center, Honda Center donate thousands of pounds of food during event suspension due to coronavirus — Press Telegram

Bob Baffert expects Triple Crown to be ‘scrapped’ due to coronavirus concerns — Daily News

Bob Baffert trains three hot Kentucky Derby hopefuls in Authentic, Nadal and Charlatan. All three are unbeaten and showing no signs of slowing down as the Hall of Fame trainer seeks a record-tying sixth Derby victory. But if he’s despondent over Churchill Downs’ announcement Tuesday that the 146th Kentucky Derby is being pushed back to…

Bob Baffert expects Triple Crown to be ‘scrapped’ due to coronavirus concerns — Daily News

4 players from Nets, the Lakers’ last opponent, test positive for coronavirus — Daily News

Four Brooklyn Nets players have tested positive for the coronavirus, the team announced Tuesday – a worrisome development for the NBA and the Lakers, their last opponent. The Nets issued a statement saying that only one player has shown symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, while the three others with positive tests have not. The team…

4 players from Nets, the Lakers’ last opponent, test positive for coronavirus — Daily News

ESPN reported that in light of the reports, the Lakers would be testing players on Wednesday and would urge them to follow a two-week quarantine.

Coronavirus: Each MLB team commits $1 million to aid ballpark workers during delayed season —

The start of the MLB season has been pushed back until at least May because of the global pandemic

Coronavirus: Each MLB team commits $1 million to aid ballpark workers during delayed season —

The start of Major League Baseball’s 2020 season has been pushed back until at least May because of the novel coronavirus, which has been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization. As such, seasonal ballpark employees stand to take a financial hit because of the delay and the likelihood of an abbreviated 2020 schedule. That’s why each of MLB’s 30 teams are committing $1 million to aid those employees and address the harm caused by those lost wages. 

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred announced the initiative on Tuesday, citing a “desire to help some of the most valuable members of the baseball community.” 

Here’s the full statement from the league:MLB Communications@MLB_PR

The @MLB teams are donating a total of $30 million — $1 million each — to assist the ballpark employees affected by the delayed start to the 2020 season. https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-clubs-pledge-30-million-for-ballpark-employees …

View image on Twitter

1,270Twitter Ads info and privacy.

Paul George and Kawhi Leonard brought the Clippers to another level — VegasTopDogs Sports Blog

The question after every off-season transactions always is the same. Are the teams better than it was last season? Obviously no team wants to sit stagnant, especially if one of the bottom tiered teams that is looking to generate a league buzz and get better, and compete. Adding Kawhi Leonard and Paul George to LA […]

Paul George and Kawhi Leonard brought the Clippers to another level — VegasTopDogs Sports Blog

Justin Verlander has groin surgery — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

I guess if you have to miss six weeks due to surgery, now is the time

Justin Verlander has groin surgery — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

The Houston Astros announced this afternoon that ace Justin Verlander underwent surgery on his groin. His recovery timeline: six weeks. Which, hey, if you have to miss six weeks, now is the time to do it, right?

Verlander had a couple of different health problems this spring, dealing with that groin early on and then dealing with a hurt lat muscle, each causing him to push back or miss starts. It’s not hard to imagine that the lat injury was compensating for the sore groin. Either way, he’s on the shelf now, as is everyone else, with a lot more time to recover from this without missing games than he otherwise would’ve had.

Raptors visits by Warriors, Valanciunas, Vince could all be scrapped by coronavirus — Toronto Sun

Monday was supposed to give thousands of delirious Raptors fans the chance to relive the happiest memory of their hoops fandom. Golden State was slated to be In Toronto for the first time since last June, when the Raptors set off a huge celebration across Canada by bringing the NBA title north of the border […]

Raptors visits by Warriors, Valanciunas, Vince could all be scrapped by coronavirus — Toronto Sun

Roberto Clemente Museum collection going from Pittsburgh to Puerto Rico — Repeating Islands

A report by Ryan Recker for Pittsburgh Action News. For 25 years, Duane Rieder has been dedicated to accumulating and documenting mementos and memories of Pittsburgh Pirates legend Roberto Clemente. The extensive collection is permanently displayed at the Clemente Museum in Lawrenceville, where Rieder is the executive director and curator. Rieder is now in the […]

Roberto Clemente Museum collection going from Pittsburgh to Puerto Rico — Repeating Islands

A report by Ryan Recker for Pittsburgh Action News.

For 25 years, Duane Rieder has been dedicated to accumulating and documenting mementos and memories of Pittsburgh Pirates legend Roberto Clemente. The extensive collection is permanently displayed at the Clemente Museum in Lawrenceville, where Rieder is the executive director and curator.

Rieder is now in the process of packing up many of the museum’s prized items, shipping them to Clemente’s native home of San Juan and loaning them to the Sports Museum of Puerto Rico for a Roberto Clemente exhibit.

“Everybody can’t wait to see the stuff that we’re putting up, and all of these new images and things that they’ve never seen,” Rieder said. “Most people know that story that Roberto dies in a plane crash on his way to Nicaragua, body never found. That’s the part of the story everybody knows. Now we’re going to fill in the gaps of all the things people don’t know.”

On display will be a treasure of artifacts: hundreds of photos, game-used bats, one of Clemente’s 12 Gold Glove awards and the final jersey he ever wore while managing the San Juan Senators in 1972.

“It’s the last uniform he ever puts on,” Rieder said. “They play a couple of days before he gets on that plane and goes to Nicaragua, so it’s kind of going to be the theme and the star of our show down in Puerto Rico.”

The exhibit will also pay tribute to Clemente’s wife, Vera, who died in November.

“We’re going to do a whole Vera wing with her dresses — the dress that he bought her in Nicaragua. It’s the most beautiful dress you’ve ever seen,” Rieder said. “Roberto buys it in Nicaragua for her. It’s one of the last dresses she ever wears before he passes. They’re doing a fundraiser to load the plane, and she has the dress on. We’re going to have that dress and the photos that we’ve been working on for years in the exhibit now, so we’re going to do a nice little homage to Vera.”

Eric Sim sends minor leaguers gift cards to help where MLB hasn’t — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

Former minor league catcher Eric Sim urged people to donate gift cards to help players eat. Sim estimates he has sent 35 players cards totaling over $900.

Eric Sim sends minor leaguers gift cards to help where MLB hasn’t — HardballTalk | NBC Sports

By Bill BaerMar 16, 2020, 5:51 PM EDTLeave a comment

The plight of minor league players has increasingly been in the news in recent years, though for all the wrong reasons. After spending years and millions of dollars lobbying Congress, Major League Baseball successfully got language in the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 amended so that minor leaguers were no longer owed a minimum wage and overtime pay. Last year, we learned that MLB was proposing shrinking the minor leagues by more than 25 percent, eliminating 42 teams. Thankfully, that received pushback and may not ultimately be carried out.

All of that is in addition to minor leaguers already being paid peanuts during the season. Most minor leaguers don’t even make five figures, requiring them to take up part-time jobs during the season as well as in the offseason, when they are expected to continue training. They are not paid for spring training or extended spring training. Now that baseball – both major league and minor league – has pushed back the start of the regular season, minor leaguers face even more uncertainty as they may not be paid as the world deals with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

In January, before the U.S. was confronted head-on with COVID-19, former minor league catcher Eric Sim (pictured, in 2010 when he played college baseball with the University of South Florida) suggested ways fans can help out minor leaguers. He tweeted, “If anyone wants to help minor leaguers, it’s not that hard. Reach out to them on social media, buy them some beers, or a meal, or give em Chipotle gift cards so that they can afford guac for once. Minor leaguers don’t expect 1000s of dollars, they appreciate the little things.” And thus, a movement was born. In the ensuing two months, Sim and others provided gift cards to a handful of minor leaguers. A few examples:David Lebron@dlebron93

Big shoutout to @esim69 and the anonymous donors powering minor leaguers through the grind! Huge for the boys! #LFG

View image on Twitter