TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (5-2-0 – 10 Points) vs.
CALGARY FLAMES (2-1-1 – 5 Points)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Jake Muzzin opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 7:46 of the first period. Muzzin’s goal is his first of the season. He had six goals and 17 assists in 53 games for the Maple Leafs in 2019-20. He scored four of his six goals on the road last season.
- Wayne Simmonds scored the second Toronto goal of the game on the power play at 19:28 of the second period. Simmonds’ goal is his first point as a Maple Leaf and 500th career NHL point. In 68 games between New Jersey and Buffalo last season he recorded eight goals and 17 assists.
- Auston Matthews scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 2:42 of the third period. Matthews’ goal is his first career goal against the Flames, giving him goals against all 31 NHL teams he has faced. He has five points (3-2-5) in his last five games played. He has three points (2-1-3) in three road games this season.
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Muzzin’s first period goal before adding the primary assist on Simmonds’ second period goal. Marner’s first assist was his 300th career NHL point. With 300 points in his first 307 games, Marner is the third fastest Maple Leaf to reach the milestone behind Syl Apps and Charlie Conacher, per NHL PR. Tonight’s game is his second multi-assist and fourth multi-point game of the season thus far. He has assists (3) and points (1-3-4) in two consecutive games. He leads the NHL in points (4-6-10) through seven games played.
- Morgan Rielly had the secondary assist on Muzzin’s first period goal and later had the secondary assist on Simmonds’ second period goal before registering the primary assist on Matthews’ third period goal. Rielly’s assists are his first three assists of the season. Tonight’s game is his first multi-assist and multi-point game of the season. He had three multi-assist and four multi-point games in 2019-20. Tonight’s game is Rielly’s eighth career game with three-plus assists. Per NHL PR, only two defensemen in history have recorded more with the franchise: Borje Salming (29) and Tomas Kaberle (12).
- Zach Hyman picked up the secondary assist on Matthews’ third period goal. Hyman has two assists in his last three games. He has four points (1-3-4) in seven games played this season.
- Jack Campbell stopped 31 shots to earn his second victory of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||10 (10)||14 (8)||8 (8)||–||32 (26)|
|CALGARY||9 (9)||11 (8)||13 (6)||–||33 (23)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||15 (15)||18 (11)||12 (10)||–||45 (36)|
|CALGARY||21 (21)||20 (13)||22 (14)||–||63 (48)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||2-1-0 (3 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Calgary||62-60-12-5 (139 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Calgary on the Road||26-41-5-2 (74 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||4 (Hyman, Muzzin)|
|Shot Attempts||7 (Muzzin)|
|Faceoff Wins||11 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||63% (Kerfoot – 5 won, 3 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||5 (Bogosian)|
|Takeaways||2 (Kerfoot, Muzzin, Tavares)|
|Power Play TOI||3:21 (Tavares)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:55 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||81.0% (Hyman – 17 for, 4 against)|
|Lead after 1||1-0-0|
|Lead after 2||4-0-0|
|Score 1 power play goal||3-0-0|
|Allow 1 power play goal||1-2-0|
|Outshot by opponent||2-1-0|
- The Maple Leafs went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and 1-for-3 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto has scored at least one power play goal in six of the club’s seven games this season.
- Justin Holl and Jake Muzzin were on the ice for a team-high 18 shot attempts at 5-on-5 tonight. Holl finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 56.3% (18 for, 14 against), while Muzzin finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 53.0% (18 for, 16 against).
- Auston Matthews was 4-for-5 (80%) in the faceoff circle when matched up with Calgary centre Mikael Backlund.
- Ilya Mikheyev started 20% of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- John Tavares won 71% (5 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Tuesday, January 26, 9:00 p.m. at Calgary Flames (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, January 28, 10:00 p.m. at Edmonton Oilers (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, January 30, 7:00 p.m. at Edmonton Oilers (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Thursday, February 4, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Saturday, February 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.