TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (6-2-0 – 12 Points) vs.
CALGARY FLAMES (3-1-1 – 5 Points)
TUESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Wayne Simmonds put the Maple Leafs on the board at 3:44 of the first period. Simmonds has goals (2) in two consecutive games. He has 16 points (8-8-16) in 27 career games against the Flames.
- Auston Matthews scored the second Toronto goal of the night on the power play at 14:16 of the first period and later had the primary assist on Mitch Marner’s third period goal. Matthews has goals (2) and points (2-1-3) in two consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his second multi-point performance of the season. He has registered seven points (4-3-7) over his last five games played.
- Travis Boyd scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 2:09 of the second period. Boyd’s goal is his first goal as a Maple Leaf and his first point as a Maple Leaf. He had 10 points (3-7-10) in 24 games as a member of the Washington Capitals last season. Tonight’s game is his first game as a Maple Leaf.
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later scored Toronto’s fourth goal of the night at 12:14 of the third period. Marner has assists (4) and points (2-4-6) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his fifth multi-point game of the season. He is tied for the NHL lead in points with 12 (5-7-12) through eight games played. He leads the NHL in even-strength goals (5). Toronto is 6-0-0 when Marner records a point this season.
- Justin Holl recorded the primary assist on Simmonds’ first period goal. Holl has five assists in eight games played this season. The Maple Leafs are 3-1-0 when Holl records a point this season.
- Jimmy Vesey collected the secondary assist on Simmonds’ first period goal. Vesey has two points (1-1-2) over his last three games played. Tonight’s assist is his first point on the road in 2020-21.
- Morgan Rielly had the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later had the secondary assist on Marner’s third period goal. Rielly has assists (5) in two consecutive games. He has recorded five (0-5-5) of his six (1-5-6) points on the road this season.
- Pierre Engvall recorded the primary assist on Boyd’s second period goal. Engvall’s assist is his first point of the 2020-21 season. In 48 games as a rookie in 2019-20, Engvall registered eight goals and seven assists.
- Jake Muzzin picked up the secondary assist on Boyd’s second period goal. Muzzin has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 19 points (3-16-19) in 33 career games against the Flames.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 23 of the 26 shots he faced to earn his fourth win of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||10 (6)||5 (5)||6 (6)||–||21 (17)|
|CALGARY||1 (1)||18 (17)||7 (5)||–||26 (23)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||12 (8)||16 (16)||11 (10)||–||39 (34)|
|CALGARY||9 (7)||27 (26)||17 (14)||–||53 (47)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||3-1-0 (4 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Calgary||63-60-12-5 (140 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Calgary on the Road||27-41-5-2 (75 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||6 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||11 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Engvall – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Anderson)|
|Takeaways||1 (Eight players tied)|
|Power Play TOI||1:46 (Marner, Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||3:43 (Holl)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||53.3% (Simmonds – 8 for, 7 against)|
|Lead after 1||2-0-0|
|Lead after 2||5-0-0|
|Score 1 power play goal||4-0-0|
|Allow 1 power play goal||2-2-0|
|Outshot by opponent||3-1-0|
- The Maple Leafs went 3-for-4 on the penalty kill and 1-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto has scored at least one power play goal in seven of the club’s eight games this season.
- Joey Anderson skated in his first game as a Maple Leaf.
- Zach Hyman and Jake Muzzin started 33.3% of their 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone, which was the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Auston Matthews was 9-for-15 (60%) in the faceoff circle when matched up with Calgary centre Elias Lindholm.
- Jake Muzzin was on the ice for a team-high 14 shot attempts at 5-on-5 tonight. Muzzin finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 40.0% (14 for, 21 against).
- Thursday, January 28, 10:00 p.m. at Edmonton Oilers (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, January 30, 7:00 p.m. at Edmonton Oilers (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Thursday, February 4, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Saturday, February 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Monday, February 8, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.