VANCOUVER CANUCKS (6-9-0 – 12 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (9-2-1 – 19 Points)
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Wayne Simmonds put the Maple Leafs on the board with a power play goal at 4:42 of the first period and later scored the fifth Maple goal of the night at 3:16 of the third period. Simmonds has four goals over his last five games played. Tonight’s game is his first multi-goal and multi-point game of the season. He had one multi-goal game and two multi-point games in 2019-20.
- Auston Matthews scored the second Toronto goal of the night at 14:04 of the first period and later scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game at 1:28 of the third period. Matthews has goals (8) and points (8-1-9) in six consecutive games. With goals in six consecutive games, Matthews ties his career-long goal streak set over six games between October 3, 2018 and October 13, 2018 (10 goals). Tonight’s game is his second multi-goal and fourth multi-point of the season.
- Zach Hyman registered the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game at 7:36 of the second period. Hyman has points (2-2-4) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his first multi-point performance of the season. He has five points (1-4-5) in six games on home ice this season. In nine career games against Vancouver, Hyman has seven points (3-4-7).
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Simmonds’ first period goal and later recorded the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal before picking up the secondary assist on Hyman’s second period goal. Tonight’s three assist performance ties his career high for assists in a game (3 – 14x). Marner has assists (9) and points (3-9-12) in seven consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his fourth multi-assist and seventh multi-point performance of the season. He has 11 points (4-7-11) in six games on home ice this season.
- Morgan Rielly collected the secondary assist on Simmonds’ first period goal. Rielly has assists (3) in two consecutive games. He has recorded six assists over his last five games played.
- Mikko Lehtonen registered the primary assist on Hyman’s second period goal and later had the primary assist on Simmonds’ third period goal. He has three assists over his last two games played. Tonight’s game is his first career multi-assist and multi-point game.
- John Tavares picked up a secondary assist on Simmonds’ third period goal. Tavares has points (1-4-5) in four consecutive games. He has seven points (4-3-7) in six games on home ice this season.
- Frederik Andersen stopped 27 of the 28 shots he faced in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|VANCOUVER||7 (5)||10 (9)||11 (7)||–||28 (21)|
|TORONTO||11 (9)||12 (10)||8 (7)||–||31 (26)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|VANCOUVER||11 (9)||16 (15)||24 (12)||–||51 (36)|
|TORONTO||22 (18)||20 (17)||15 (11)||–||57 (46)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||5-1-0 (6 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver||63-62-22-3 (150 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Vancouver at Home||37-25-11-1 (74 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||12 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||10 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Boyd, Nylander)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Five players tied)|
|Power Play TOI||5:28 (Marner, Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||3:47 (Holl)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||85.7% (Petan, Spezza – 6 for, 1 against)|
|Lead after 1||5-0-0|
|Lead after 2||8-0-0|
|Scored 1 power play goal||6-0-1|
|Allow 1 power play goal||4-2-1|
- The Maple Leafs went 3-for-3 on the penalty kill and 1-for-4 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto has scored at least one power play goal in 11 of the club’s 12 games this season.
- At 14:45 of the second period, the Maple Leafs initiated a Coach’s Challenge to review whether the Canucks were offside prior to JT Miller’s goal. It was determined that Vancouver’s Nils Hoglander was off-side prior to JT Miller’s goal and the original call was overturned – No Goal Vancouver.
- Auston Matthews won 80% (4 won, 1 lost) of his defensive zone faceoffs.
- Auston Matthews was on the ice for a team-high 22 shot attempts at 5-on-5 tonight. Matthews finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 68.8% (22 for, 10 against).
- John Tavares won 67% (4 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Monday, February 8, 7:00 p.m. vs. Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, February 10, 7:30 p.m. at Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Saturday, February 13, 7:00 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Monday, February 15, 7:00 p.m. vs. Ottawa Senators (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, February 17, 7:00 p.m. vs. Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.