TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (23-10-3 – 49 Points) vs.
WINNIPEG JETS (22-13-2 – 46 Points)
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
– Auston Matthews opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 4:40 of the first period and later recorded the primary assist on Zach Hyman’s first period goal. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ 12th multi-point game of the season. He has goals (3) in three consecutive games and points (3-3-6) in four consecutive games. Matthews leads the NHL in goals (24) and is tied for the NHL lead in times scoring the first goal of the game (6). He has seven points (4-3-7) in five games against Winnipeg this season.
– Zach Hyman registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later scored the second Toronto goal of the night at 10:47 of the first period. Tonight’s game is Hyman’s fifth multi-point game of the season. He has assists (2) and points (1-2-3) in two consecutive games. He has recorded 14 (9-5-14) of his 24 points on the road this season. He has 12 points (7-5-12) in 14 games during the month of March.
– Alex Kerfoot scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the game while shorthanded at 16:40 of the second period. The goal is Kerfoot’s first career shorthanded goal. He has a goal and two assists in five games against the Jets this season. The Maple Leafs are 10-3-1 when Kerfoot records a point this season.
– Mitch Marner had the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal before adding the secondary assist on Hyman’s first period goal. Tonight’s game is Marner’s seventh multi-assist and 13th multi-point game of the season. He has assists (5) and points (1-5-6) in four consecutive games. In five games against Winnipeg this season, Marner has recorded eight points (3-5-8). He has 20 points (4-16-20) in in 16 games played on the road this season.
– Ilya Mikheyev registered the primary assist on Kerfoot’s second period goal. Mikheyev has a goal and an assist over his last four games played. He has recorded six (3-3-6) of his 11 points during the month of March. The shorthanded assist is his second career shorthanded point.
– Morgan Rielly had the secondary assist on Kerfoot’s second period goal. Rielly has a pair of assists over his last three games played. He ranks seventh among NHL defencemen in assists (23). He has recorded four assists in five games against the Jets this season. In 14 games during the month of March, Rielly has recorded 10 points (1-9-10).
– Jack Campbell stopped 26 of the 27 shots he faced to earn his seventh win of the season.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||14 (9)||7 (4)||5 (4)||–||26 (17)|
|WINNIPEG||6 (4)||16 (11)||5 (4)||–||27 (19)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||20 (14)||13 (10)||10 (7)||–||43 (31)|
|WINNIPEG||11 (8)||29 (21)||12 (10)||–||52 (39)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||11-4-1 (16 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg||37-21-1-9 (68 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Winnipeg on the Road||18-10-0-5 (33 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||6 (Hyman)|
|Faceoff Wins||12 (Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||67% (Engvall – 2 won, 1 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Brodie)|
|Power Play TOI||4:50 (Rielly)|
|Shorthanded TOI||6:10 (Holl)|
|Shifts||25 (Brodie, Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||63.2% (Dermott – 12 for, 7 against)|
|Lead after 1||12-2-2|
|Lead after 2||15-2-2|
|Do not score a power play goal||9-8-1|
|Allow 1 power play goal||6-6-1|
|Outshot by opponent||11-3-1|
- The Maple Leafs were 3-for-4 on the penalty kill and 0-for-5 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Pierre Engvall, Ilya Mikheyev and Wayne Simmonds were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone tonight.
- Zach Bogosian, Travis Dermott and Morgan Rielly were on the ice for a team-high 12 shot attempts for at 5-on-5.
- John Tavares was 4-or-6 (67%) in the faceoff circle when taking draws in the offensive zone.
- Friday, April 2, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Sunday, April 4, 9:00 p.m. at Calgary Flames (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Monday, April 5, 9:30 p.m. at Calgary Flames (TSN4, FAN 590)
- Wednesday, April 7, 7:30 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Saturday, April 10, 7:00 p.m. vs. Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.