MONTREAL CANADIENS (17-9-9 – 43 Points) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (26-10-3 – 55 Points)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 7, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Auston Matthews opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 0:54 of the first period and later registered the primary assist on Zach Hyman’s third period goal. Matthews has goals (4) and points (4-2-6) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his 15th multi-point performance of 2020-21. He has recorded 28 points (17 goals, 11 assists) in 20 games on home ice this season. He has nine points (3-6-9) in five games against the Canadiens in 2020-21. Matthews leads the NHL in goals (28) and has scored the first goal of the game a League-leading seven times.
- TJ Brodie scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 2:32 of the third period. Brodie has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. With the goal, he has now recorded at least one point against every team in the North Division this season. Brodie’s third period goal is his first goal as a Maple Leaf.
- Zach Hyman picked up the secondary assist on Matthews’ first period goal and later scored the third Maple Leafs goal of the night at 10:21 of the third period. Hyman has assists (3) and points (1-3-4) in three consecutive games. Tonight’s game is his sixth multi-point performance of the season. He has six points (2-4-6) over his last five games played. He has recorded six points (2-4-6) in five games against Montreal this season.
- Ilya Mikheyev registered the primary assist on Matthews’ first period goal. Mikheyev has a goal and an assist in five games against Montreal in 2020-21. The Maple Leafs are 5-1-1 when he records an assist this season.
- Alexander Barabanov recorded the primary assist on Brodie’s third period goal. Barabanov’s assist is his first career NHL point. Tonight’s game is his 12th with the Maple Leafs this season. He has recorded a pair of goals and three assists in two games with the Toronto Marlies (AHL) in 2020-21.
- Wayne Simmonds had the secondary assist on Brodie’s third period goal. Simmonds has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has recorded six goals and two assists in 22 games this season. Both of his assists have come on home ice.
- Mitch Marner had the secondary assist on Hyman’s third period goal. Marner has four assists over his last five games played. He has six points (2-4-6) in five games against the Canadiens. Marner ranks fourth among NHLers in assists (35). He has recorded 27 points (9-18-27) in 21 games on home ice.
- Jack Campbell stopped 32 of the 34 shots he faced to improve his record to 10-0-0 this season. With the win, Campbell has established a new franchise record for consecutive wins by a goaltender.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||7 (6)||17 (17)||10 (6)||–||34 (29)|
|TORONTO||13 (10)||4 (4)||15 (15)||–||32 (29)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||11 (10)||33 (31)||20 (13)||–||64 (54)|
|TORONTO||24 (18)||12 (11)||24 (24)||–||60 (53)|
NO PLACE LIKE HOME
|Record at Home||13-6-2 (21 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal||304-343-88-17 (752 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal at Home||192-129-45-10 (376 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shots||5 (Matthews, Tavares)|
|Shot Attempts||9 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||8 (Matthews, Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Thornton – 1 won, 0 lost)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Holl, Hyman)|
|Power Play TOI||2:07 (Four players tied)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:32 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||64.7% (Tavares – 22 for, 12 against)|
|Tied after 1||10-4-0|
|Tied after 2||9-1-1|
|Do not score a power play goal||12-7-1|
|Do not allow a power play goal||19-2-2|
|Outshot by opponent||13-3-1|
- The Maple Leafs were 2-for-2 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Toronto’s line of Alexander Barabanov, Pierre Engvall and Wayne Simmonds were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Zach Hyman started 20% of his shifts at 5-on-5 in the offensive zone, the lowest mark among Toronto skaters.
- Auston Matthews was 3-for-5 (60%) in the faceoff circle when taking offensive zone draws.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 23 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. Rielly finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 52.3% (23 for, 21 against).
- Saturday, April 10, 7:00 p.m. vs. Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Monday, April 12, 7:00 p.m. at Montreal Canadiens (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Tuesday, April 13, 7:30 p.m. vs. Calgary Flames (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, April 15, 7:00 p.m. vs. Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, April 17, 7:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.