TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (28-11-3 – 59 Points) vs.
MONTREAL CANADIENS (18-12-9 – 45 Points)
MONDAY, APRIL 12, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Auston Matthews put the Maple Leafs on the board at 9:28 of the second period. Matthews has goals (8) and points (8-3-11) in five consecutive games. He has 10 points (4-6-10) in six games against the Canadiens this season. In 18 games on the road, he has registered 21 points (12-9-21). Matthews leads the NHL in goals (32) and even-strength goals (23).
- John Tavares scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 14:57 of the second period. Tavares has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has registered six points (3-3-6) over his last five games. In 20 games on the road in 2020-21, he has collected 20 points (7-13-20). Tavares has recorded seven points (2-5-7) in six games against Montreal this season.
- Mitch Marner registered the primary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Marner has assists (5) and points (1-5-6) in three consecutive games. He has recorded 22 points (4-18-22) in 20 games on the road this season. He has registered seven points (2-5-7) in six games against the Canadiens in 2020-21. Marner is tied for second in the NHL in assists (39) and ranks second in the NHL in assists at 5-on-5 (22).
- Morgan Rielly collected the secondary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Rielly has assists (2) in two consecutive games. He has registered 15 points (2-13-15) in 20 games on the road in 2020-21. In six games against Montreal this season, he has registered a goal and three assists. Rielly is tied for 11th among NHL defencemen in assists at 5-on-5 (12).
- Ilya Mikheyev recorded the primary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Mikheyev has assists (3) and points (1-3-4) in three consecutive games. He has recorded six of his nine assists on the road this season. He has a goal and two assists in six games against Montreal in 2020-21.
- Zach Hyman had the secondary assist on Tavares’ second period goal. Hyman has assists (5) and points (2-5-7) in five consecutive games. He has registered seven points (2-5-7) in six games against the Canadiens in 2020-21. He ranks third among Toronto skaters and is tied for 25th among NHLers in even-strength points (11-15-26).
- Jack Campbell stopped 21 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||3 (3)||13 (12)||9 (6)||–||25 (21)|
|MONTREAL||11 (9)||7 (7)||7 (6)||–||25 (22)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||8 (8)||25 (21)||18 (13)||–||51 (42)|
|MONTREAL||24 (18)||14 (14)||14 (11)||–||52 (43)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||14-5-1 (20 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal||304-344-88-17 (753 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal on the Road||112-215-43-7 (377 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||9 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||11 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||100% (Thornton – 2 won, 0 lost)|
|Hits||5 (Simmonds, Thornton)|
|Blocked Shots||4 (Holl)|
|Takeaways||1 (Muzzin, Robertson, Tavares)|
|Power Play TOI||2:32 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||2:13 (Hyman)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||63.0% (Bogosian – 17 for, 10 against)|
|Opponent scores first||7-8-2|
|Trail after 1||5-5-1|
|Trail after 2||2-8-0|
|Do not score a power play goal||13-8-1|
|Allow 1 power play goal||7-7-1|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-2 on the penalty kill and 0-for-2 on the power play tonight.
- Zach Bogosian, Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews were on the ice for a team-high 17 shot attempts for at 5-on-5.
- Pierre Engvall and Nick Robertson were the lone Maple Leafs to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Auston Matthews was 6-for-10 (60%) in the faceoff circle when taking offensive zone draws.
- Jason Spezza won 60% (3 won, 2 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs.
- Tuesday, April 13, 7:30 p.m. vs. Calgary Flames (Sportsnet Ontario, TSN 1050)
- Thursday, April 15, 7:00 p.m. vs. Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, April 17, 7:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet, FAN 590)
- Monday, April 19, 9:00 p.m. at Vancouver Canucks (Sportsnet Ontario, FAN 590)
- Wednesday, April 21, 7:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.