TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (33-13-6 – 72 Points) vs.
MONTREAL CANADIENS (24-18-9 – 57 Points)
MONDAY, MAY 3, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Morgan Rielly opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs at 4:07 of the first period. Rielly has points (1-1-2) in two consecutive games. He has 18 points (3-15-18) in 26 games on the road this season. He has seven points (1-6-7) in eight games against Montreal in 2020-21. He is tied for 16th among NHL defencemen in points at 5-on-5 (3-14-17) this season.
- Auston Matthews scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 17:21 of the second period. Matthews has goals (5) in four consecutive games. In 24 games on the road in 2020-21, he has recorded 28 points (16-12-28). He has 12 points (6-6-12) in eight games against Montreal this season. He ranks eighth among active NHLers with 18 career goals against the Canadiens in 22 career games against Montreal. He leads the NHL in goals (39) and even-strength goals (29).
- Alex Galchenyuk registered the primary assist on Rielly’s first period goal. Galchenyuk has points (1-2-3) in three consecutive games. He has 10 points (3-7-10) in 22 games with the Maple Leafs this season. His assist is his first career point against Montreal in 10 games after playing for the Canadiens from 2012-18.
- William Nylander collected the secondary assist on Rielly’s first period goal. Nylander has assists (2) in two consecutive games and points (2-3-5) in five consecutive games. He has 19 points (7-12-19) in 25 games on the road this season. In six games against the Canadiens in 2020-21, he has recorded five points (3-2-5).
- Jake Muzzin recorded the primary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Muzzin has four points (1-3-4) over his last five games played. He has recorded 11 of his 18 assists on the road this season. He has five points (1-4-5) in eight games against Montreal this season. He is tied for 19th among NHL defencemen in assists (13) at 5-on-5.
- Joe Thornton had the secondary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Thornton has points (2-4-6) in six consecutive games. He has three assists in five games against the Canadiens in 2020-21. In 21 games on the road this season, he has registered nine points (2-7-9). He ranks sixth among active NHLers in career assists against Montreal (31).
- Jack Campbell stopped 21 shots in the loss.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||11 (9)||10 (6)||6 (4)||2 (0)||29 (19)|
|MONTREAL||10 (7)||4 (2)||8 (2)||1 (0)||23 (11)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|TORONTO||23 (21)||18 (12)||15 (8)||2 (0)||58 (41)|
|MONTREAL||16 (11)||12 (7)||16 (10)||3 (0)||47 (28)|
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
|Record on the Road||17-6-3 (26 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal||305-344-88-18 (755 Games)|
|All-Time Record vs. Montreal on the Road||192-129-45-11 (377 Games)|
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||9 (Marner)|
|Faceoff Wins||7 (Kerfoot, Matthews Tavares)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||64% (Kerfoot – 7 won, 4 lost)|
|Hits||3 (Foligno, Kerfoot)|
|Blocked Shots||2 (Five players tied)|
|Takeaways||2 (Marner, Sandin)|
|Power Play TOI||5:29 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||5:24 (Muzzin)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||78.3% (Tavares – 18 for, 5 against)|
|Lead after 1||17-3-4|
|Lead after 2||22-2-4|
|Do not score a power play goal||17-9-3|
|Allow 1 power play goal||8-8-3|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 0-for-1 on the power play tonight.
- Nick Foligno (upper body) left tonight’s game and did not return.
- Alex Kerfoot won 75 percent (3 won, 1 lost) of his faceoffs in the defensive zone.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 24 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. He finished the game with a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 61.5 percent (24 for, 15 against).
- Wayne Simmonds was the lone Maple Leaf to not start a 5-on-5 shift in the offensive zone.
- Thursday, May 6, 7:00 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (TSN4, TSN 1050)
- Saturday, May 8, 7:00 p.m. vs. Montreal Canadiens (Sportsnet, TSN 1050)
- Wednesday, May 12, 8:00 p.m. at Ottawa Senators (Sportsnet, 680 News)
- Friday, May 14, 8:00 p.m. at Winnipeg Jets (TSN4, TSN 1050)
Stats reflect official NHL stats at the time of distribution. Please consult official NHL game sheets (links above) to confirm no statistical changes were made.