MONTREAL CANADIENS (1-1) vs.
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (1-1)
SATURDAY, MAY 22, 2021
ON THE SCORESHEET
- Jason Spezza put the Maple Leafs on the board at 12:25 of the first period. Spezza’s goal is his first of the 2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He has 71 points (26 goals, 45 assists) in 87 career playoff games. He had 30 points (10 goals, 20 assists) in 54 games this season. His goal tonight is his first playoff point as a Maple Leaf.
- Auston Matthews scored the second Toronto goal of the game at 5:15 of the second period and later had the secondary assist on Rasmus Sandin’s second period goal before recording the primary assist on William Nylander’s third period goal. Tonight’s game is Matthews’ career sixth multi-point game in the playoffs and ties his single-game career-high for points in the playoffs (3). His goal was his first of the 2021 playoffs. He has recorded 22 points (13 goals, 9 assists) in 27 career Stanley Cup playoff games.
- Rasmus Sandin scored the third Maple Leafs’ goal of the night on the power play at 13:20 of the second period. Sandin’s goal is his first career goal and point in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in two career playoff games. He recorded four assists in nine games with the Maple Leafs this season.
- William Nylander scored the fourth Toronto goal of the game at 8:50 of the third period and later had the lone assist on Kerfoot’s empty net goal. Nylander has goals (2) and points (2-1-3) in two consecutive games to open the series. He has 18 points (7-11-18) in 27 career playoff games. He recorded four goals and three assists in eight games against Montreal during the regular season.
- Alex Kerfoot scored the fifth Maple Leafs goal of the night into an empty net at 18:37 of the third period. Kerfoot’s goal is his first point of the 2021 playoffs. He has nine points (3-6-9) in 25 career postseason games. He had three assists in five postseason games last year.
- Zach Bogosian recorded the lone assist on Spezza’s first period goal. Bogosian’s assist is his first point of the postseason. He has recorded five assists in 22 career playoff games. In 45 games this season, he registered four assists for Toronto.
- Justin Holl registered the primary assist on Matthews’ second period goal. Holl’s assist is his first career point in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in seven career appearances. He recorded career-highs in assists (18) and points (20) this season, in addition to equaling his career-high for goals (2).
- Mitch Marner had the secondary assist on Matthews’ second period goal and later had the primary assist on Sandin’s second period goal. Tonight’s game is Marner’s fourth career multi-assist and seventh career multi-point playoff performance. He has 23 points (5-18-23) in 27 career playoff games. Marner registered 67 points (20 goals, 47 assists) in 55 games played this season.
- Morgan Rielly picked up the secondary assist on Nylander’s third period goal. Rielly has assists (2) in two consecutive games to begin the series. He has recorded 18 points (3-15-18) in 27 career playoff appearances. He registered a pair of goals and five assists in 10 games against Montreal this season.
- Jack Campbell stopped 22 shots to earn his first career win in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
SHOTS ON GOAL (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||9 (8)||6 (3)||8 (6)||–||23 (17)|
|TORONTO||9 (9)||20 (12)||5 (3)||–||34 (24)|
SHOT ATTEMPTS (5-on-5 in brackets)
|MONTREAL||20 (17)||10 (6)||19 (12)||–||49 (35)|
|TORONTO||19 (19)||36 (19)||14 (8)||–||69 (46)|
- The Maple Leafs were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill and 2-for-6 on the power play tonight.
- Nick Foligno won 100 percent (4 won, 0 lost) of his offensive zone faceoffs and was 5-for-6 (83%) in the faceoff circle against Montreal centre Nick Suzuki.
- Justin Holl started 25 percent of his 5-on-5 shifts in the offensive zone.
- Morgan Rielly was on the ice for a team-high 20 shot attempts for at 5-on-5. Rielly had a 5-on-5 shot attempt percentage of 52.6 percent (20 for, 18 against).
- Auston Matthews was 8-for-9 (89%) in the faceoff circle taking defensive zone faceoffs and won 92 percent (11 won, 1 lost) of his faceoffs against Montreal centre Phillip Danault.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS
|Shot Attempts||10 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Wins||16 (Matthews)|
|Faceoff Win Percentage||81% (Foligno – 13 won, 3 lost)|
|Hits||5 (Hyman, Muzzin)|
|Blocked Shots||3 (Holl, Rielly)|
|Power Play TOI||6:00 (Matthews)|
|Shorthanded TOI||1:04 (Kerfoot)|
|5-on-5 Shot Attempt Percentage||84.2% (Mikheyev – 16 for, 3 against)|
- Monday, May 24, 7:00 p.m., Toronto at Montreal (SN, CBC, TVA Sports)
- Tuesday, May 25, TBD, Toronto at Montreal (TBD)
- Thursday, May 27, TBD, Montreal at Toronto (TBD)
- Saturday, May 29, TBD, Toronto at Montreal (TBD)*
- Monday, May 31, TBD, Montreal at Toronto (TBD)*