2021-22 Matchups vs. Minnesota: Second of Two
2021-22 Record vs. Minnesota: 0-0-1
Toronto Season Record: 32-14-4
Toronto Home Record: 18-5-1
TV: TSN4 RADIO: TSN 1050
February 21, 2022
The Maple Leafs acquired goaltender Carter Hutton from Arizona in
exchange for future considerations.
February 21, 2022
The San Jose Sharks claimed forward Ryan Dzingel off waivers from
February 19, 2022
The Maple Leafs acquired forward Ryan Dzingel and defenceman Ilya
Lyubushkin from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for forward Nick
Ritchie and choice of Toronto’s third-round selection in 2023 or second-round selection in 2025.
Score: Toronto 3 at Columbus 4 – OTL
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2022
TOR Goals: Bunting, Matthews, Spezza
CBJ Goals: Laine (2x), Boqvist, Gaunce
TOR Goaltender: Campbell, 26/30, .867 SV%
CBJ Goaltender: Berube, 39/42, .929 SV%
TOR Power Play: 0-for-3
TOR Penalty Kill: 1-for-2
- Auston Matthews posted an NHL career-high 11 shots during Tuesday’s
- Auston Matthews recorded his fourth outing of the season with three or
more points (1G, 2A).
- Ilya Lyubushkin appeared in his Maple Leafs debut.
Date: Saturday, February 26, 2022
Opponent: at Detroit Red Wings
Time: 7:30 pm ET
Broadcast Information: Sportsnet (TV), Sportsnet 590 (Radio)
Jake Muzzin Concussion Protocol
ALL-TIME VS. MINNESOTA WILD:
First Matchup between Clubs: October 25, 2000 (Toronto 6 vs. Minnesota 1)
All-Time Record: 12-11-0-2 (25 Games)
All-Time Record at Home: 8-5-0-0 (13 Games)
All-Time Record on the Road: 4-6-0-2 (12 Games)
Last Home Win vs. Opponent: October 15, 2019 (Toronto 4 vs. Minnesota 2)
Record in Last Five Games: 3-1-1
Record in Last 10 Games: 4-5-1
ACTIVE LEADERS VS. MINNESOTA WILD:
Games Played: Jason Spezza (32), Wayne Simmonds (30), TJ Brodie (30)
Goals: John Tavares (8), Wayne Simmonds (7), Jason Spezza (7)
Assists: Wayne Simmonds (13), Morgan Rielly (13), Jason Spezza (11)
Points: Wayne Simmonds (20), Jason Spezza (18), John Tavares (17)
Penalty Minutes: Wayne Simmonds (28), TJ Brodie (16), Alexander Kerfoot (10)
2021-22 AVERAGES AND RANKINGS
Points % GF/Game GA/Game PP% PK% SF/G SA/G FO%
Toronto .680 3.54 2.80 30.4% 84.3% 34.9 30.6 55.9%
Minnesota .677 3.79 3.00 20.8% 79.0% 32.5 32.7 47.8%
THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN 2021-22
Power Play: 42/138 (30.4%)
Power Play Goal Leader: 12 – Matthews
Power Play Point Leader: 22 – Matthews (12G, 10A)
2020-21 Power Play: 31/155 (20.0%)
ON THE PK IN 2021-22
Penalty Kill: 118/140 (84.3%)
Shorthanded Goal Leader: 2 – Kämpf, Marner, Mikheyev
Shorthanded Point Leader: 3 – Marner (2G, 1A), Kämpf (2G, 1A)
2020-21 Penalty Kill: 113/144 (78.5%)
Thursday games 7th of 13 (9 home, 4 road)
Back-to-Backs played 8 of 13
Record in first game of back-to-back 4-3-1
Record in second game of back-to-back 3-4-1
February games 10th of 12 (4 home, 8 road)
TJ Brodie Seven points away from 300 career NHL points
Mitch Marner Four games away from 400 career NHL games played
Jake Muzzin Nine points away from 300 career NHL points
Wayne Simmonds Five games away from 1,000 career NHL games played
TJ Brodie Appeared in his 700th career NHL game, Nov. 2, 2021 vs. VGK
TJ Brodie Scored his 50th career NHL goal, Dec. 14, 2021 at EDM
Jack Campbell Appeared in his 100th career NHL game, Nov. 16, 2021 vs. NSH
Pierre Engvall Appeared in his 100th career NHL game, Nov. 2, 2021 vs. VGK
Ondrej Kaše Recorded his 100th career NHL point, Nov. 10, 2021 at PHI
Ondrej Kaše Scored his 50th career NHL goal, Dec. 9, 2021 vs. TBL
Alexander Kerfoot Appeared in his 300th career NHL game, Nov. 26, 2021 at SJS
Alexander Kerfoot Recorded his 100th career NHL assist, Jan. 1, 2022 vs. OTT
Timothy Liljegren Scored his first career NHL goal, Jan. 15, 2022 at STL
Auston Matthews Recorded his 400th career NHL point, Jan. 31, 2022 vs. NJD
Auston Matthews Recorded his 200th career NHL goal, Oct. 25, 2021 at CAR
Mitch Marner Recorded his 400th career NHL point, Feb. 14, 2022 at SEA
Ilya Mikheyev Skated in his 100th career NHL game, Jan. 15, 2022 at STL
William Nylander Skated in his 400th career NHL game, Feb. 1, 2022 at NJD
William Nylander Recorded his 300th career NHL point, Jan. 19, 2022 at NYR
Morgan Rielly Recorded his 250th career NHL assist, Oct. 27, 2021 at CHI
Morgan Rielly Skated in his 600th career NHL game, Dec. 9, 2021 vs. TBL
Wayne Simmonds Skated in his 950th career NHL game, Oct. 16, 2021 vs. OTT
Jason Spezza Skated in his 1,200th career NHL game, Nov. 28, 2021 at ANA
John Tavares Recorded his 200th point with the Maple Leafs, Oct. 18, 2021 vs. NYR
John Tavares Scored his 100th goal with the Maple Leafs, Nov. 13, 2021 at BUF
John Tavares Skated in his 900th career NHL game, Jan. 1, 2022 vs. OTT
UPCOMING GAMES (all times Central)
2/26 at CGY 9 p.m. – BSN, KFAN 100.3 FM
3/1 vs. CGY 7 p.m. – BSN+, KFAN 100.3 FM
3/3 at PHI 6 p.m. – BSN, KFAN 100.3 FM
Matt Dumba (lower body) – 5
Mats Zuccarello (upper body) – 1
2021-22 Total Man Games Lost: 95
Jordan Greenway – 99 career points
Dmitry Kulikov – 191 career points
Jared Spurgeon – 740 career games; 3 shy of tying Nick Schultz for all-time GP by Wild defensemen (743)
2/23 – Recalled F Mason Shaw from Iowa (AHL)
SERIES NOTES VS. MAPLE LEAFS
All-Time Wild Record: 13-12-0 (8-4-0 at Xcel Energy Center, 5-8-0 at Toronto)
2021-22: Minnesota earned a 4-3 shootout win against Toronto in its first season meeting at Xcel Energy Center (12/4)…C Joel Eriksson Ek led the
Wild with two assists…LW Marcus Foligno, LW Jordan Greenway and RW Mats Zuccarello each netted a goal…G Cam Talbot stopped 39-of-42
shots…D Morgan Rielly (0-3=3) and C Jason Spezza (2-1=3) scored three points apiece…C Auston Matthews collected two points (1-1=2)…G Jack
Campbell made 37 saves.
WILD LEADERS: Zuccarello leads the Wild with 23 points (11-12=23) in 20 contests against Toronto…D Dmitry Kulikov owns 12 points (5-7=12) in 29
games…D Alex Goligoski has 11 assists in 24 matches…Foligno owns 12 points (4-8=12) in 29 contests…C Nick Bjugstad has 10 points (6-4=10) in
WILD GOALIES: G Cam Talbot is 5-2-1 with a 2.80 GAA and a .909 SV% in nine games (eight starts) vs. the Maple Leafs…G Kaapo Kahkonen has
not faced Toronto.
MAPLE LEAFS LEADERS: RW Wayne Simmonds leads the Maple Leafs with 20 points (7-13=20) in 30 career games against Minnesota…C John
Tavares owns 17 points (8-9=17) in 18 matches…Spezza has 18 points (7-11=18) in 32 contests.
MAPLE LEAFS GOALIES: G Petr Mrazek is 3-2-0 with a 2.38 GAA and a .917 SV% in five starts vs. the Wild…G Jack Campbell is 0-2-1 with a 2.31
GAA and a .920 SV% in three starts.
CONNECTIONS: Wild Assistant Coach Darby Hendrickson was selected by Toronto in the 1990 NHL Draft and skated in 233 games with the Maple
Leafs (1994-99)…D Justin Holl hails from Tonka Bay and skated in four seasons with the University of Minnesota (2010-14).
FAST FACTS: Minnesota is 10-4-0 in its last 14 games against Toronto, including a seven-game win streak (11/13/13-12/7/16)…The Wild has scored
one goal or less in eight of its 12 all-time losses to the Maple Leafs…In its 12 wins, Minnesota has outscored Toronto, 42-20, including two Wild shootout
TOTAL TEAM EFFORT
- The Wild is 12-4-1 in its last 17 games, ranking fourth in the NHL in points percentage (.735) and T-4th in wins and seventh in points (25) since Jan. 6.
- Minnesota has netted seven-plus goals in six of its games this season, the most seven-plus goal games in a single season in franchise history. The
Wild is one of two teams to net seven-plus goals in six-or-more games this season: COL (7).
- The Wild is one of four NHL teams to record multiple six-plus game win streaks this season: CGY, COL &PIT.
- Minnesota won six straight from Jan. 21-Feb. 2 and recorded a season-high eight-game win streak, Nov. 24-Dec. 9.
- The Wild went on a season-high 10-game point streak from Jan. 6-Feb. 2 (9-0-1) – tied for the third-longest point streak in team history. The team also
posted a nine-game point streak from Nov. 21-Dec. 9 (8-0-1) – making it the first time in team history the Wild has recorded multiple point streaks of
eight-or-more games in a single season.
- Minnesota leads the League with a franchise-best 14 6-v-5 goals.
- The Wild has scored three-plus goals in 17 of its last 19 games, ranking second in the NHL in goals/game (4.05) since Dec. 20.
- Minnesota ranks third in the NHL in goals/game this season (3.79), netting three-plus goals in 38-of-48 games.
Minnesota Wild: Media Notes
- Minnesota continues its four-game Canadian road trip Thursday in Toronto (1-1-0) – tied for its longest road trip of the season.
- The Wild is 6-3-1 in its last 10 road games, including a season-high six game point streak (5-0-1) from Jan. 6-Feb. 2.
- Minnesota is 12-8-2 in its last 22 road games, including four shootout contests.
- The Wild has scored three-plus goals and has held opponents to two goals or less in 12 of its 15 road wins this season.
- The Wild owns 12 PPG since Jan. 22, ranking T-5th in the NHL in PPG in that span.
- The Wild has netted 18 of its 31 PPG this season on the road, including 14 PPG in the last 18 road contests.
- Minnesota ranks T-2nd in the NHL in road PPG and fourth in road PP% (27.5) since Nov. 20 and ranks T-4th in road PPG this season.
- The Wild set a season-high six-game road PPG streak (eight PPG) Dec. 7-Jan. 6 – tied for the second-longest road PPG streak in franchise history.
- The Wild has seven games with multiple PPG this season and has netted a season-high three PPG twice (10/19 &2/14).
- Kevin Fiala tallied two points (1-1=2) Tuesday in Ottawa, his second consecutive game with multiple points (3-2=5).
- He owns 27 points (14-13=27) in the last 23 games and 34 points (15-19=34) in the last 34 contests.
- He owns 42 points this season, his third straight campaign recording 40-plus points. He becomes the third Swiss-born NHL skater to reach 40-plus
points in four-or-more seasons: Roman Josi (8) &Mark Streit (6).
- The winger recorded 16 points (9-7=16) in a career-high 12-game point streak from Dec. 20-Feb. 2. He tied Mikael Granlund for the longest point
streak in team history (last, 1/12-2/4/17) and the point streak is the fifth longest in the NHL this season.
- Mats Zuccarello owns 10 points (3-7=10), including multiple points in four consecutive games and five PPP (1-4=5) in his last five games.
- His assist Feb. 20 at EDM marked his 19th PPP of the season, setting a new career high for PPP in a season.
- The Norwegian native owns 52 points this season, his most in a Wild sweater since joining the team in 2019-20. It’s his fifth NHL season reaching 50-
plus points, first since 2017-18.
- He owns 30 points (9-21=30) in his last 18 games, including 11 multi-point contests in the last 14 games. He ranks T-4th in the NHL in assists and
points since Dec. 20.
- He collected 18 points (5-13=18) in a career-high 10-game point streak, Dec. 20-Jan. 28. His and Fiala’s 12-game point streaks this season made
them the third pair of NHL teammates to record point streaks of 10-plus games this season (COL &PIT).
- The winger owned a franchise record of six consecutive games with multiple points from Jan 14-28. Per NHL Stats, he joined Connor McDavid as the
only players to record multiple points in six straight games this season.
- The 34-year-old has 39 points (13-26=39) in his last 27 games and 43 points (14-29=43) in his last 31 contests.
KIRILL THE THRILL
- Kirill Kaprizov saw his five-game point streak (4-5=9), including four PPP (1-3=4), come to an end Tuesday in Ottawa.
- He has 22 points (9-13=22) in the last 15 games, including a career-best eight-game point streak (5-8=13) from Jan. 14-Feb. 2.
- He owns 30 points (13-17=30) in his last 19 games, including 10 multi-point contests and 10 PPP (3-7=10).
- He has 51 points (20-31=51) in his last 32 games, ranking second in the NHL in scoring, T-2nd in EVP (38), third in EVG (17) and T-4th in assists since
- The Russian ranks third in the NHL in EVP (46), T-6th in points and T-8th in assists.
- The winger skated in his 100th career game Feb. 18 vs. FLA to become the 88th skater, third Russian native, in team history to reach the milestone.
- He collected 112 career points in 100 career games. Per NHL Stats, the last time a player scored more than 110 points in their first 100 NHL games
was Evgeni Malkin (114) in 2006-07.
OH MY JEE
- Joel Eriksson Ek saw his four-game point streak (3-2=5) come to an end Tuesday.
- He owns eight points (5-3=8), including five power-play points (4-1=5) in the last 12 contests.
- He leads the Wild with a career-high 10 PPG (T-8th in the NHL) and ranks third with 11 PPP.
- The 25-year-old has tied his career-high two-game goal streak three times this season (11/20-11/21, 12/7-12/9 &2/14-2/16) and tied his career-best
three-game assist streak (12/4-12/9).
- He skated in his 300th career game Jan. 28 at NYR.
HERE TO STAY
- Matt Boldy has six points (4-2=6) in the last five games.
- He recorded a career-high four points (3-1=4) and six shots, including his first career hat trick and three power-play points (2-1=3) Feb. 12 vs. DET. He
is the sole NHL rookie to record three PPP in a game this season.
- The 20-year-old became the first rookie in Wild history to record four points in a game and tied Kaprizov (4/7/21) for most PPP in a game by a Wild
- He became the fourth rookie in team history to record a hat trick: Justin Fontaine (1/9/14), Kaprizov (3/12/21), and Rem Pitlick (11/13/21).
- Per NHL Stats, the forward is the third NHL rookie to register four-plus points this season (Anton Lundell, Lucas Raymond) and fourth to earn a hat
trick (Michael Bunting, Rem Pitlick, Lucas Raymond).
- He owns 16 points (8-8=16) in his 17 career NHL contests, ranking second amongst NHL rookies in goals and T-2nd in points since making his debut
on Jan. 6.
- Kaapo Kahkonen is 8-1-1 in his last 10 starts with a 2.47 GAA and a .930 SV% since Jan. 6.
- He stopped a season-high 40-of-43 shots Jan. 30 at NYI – his second career game with 40-plus saves.
- The left-glove backstop set a season-high six-game point streak (5-0-1), Jan. 6-22 – the longest point streak by an NHL rookie goaltender this season.
- He also set a career-high six-game consecutive start streak, Jan. 6-22.
- He is 12-3-2 in 19 games (17 starts) this season and ranks second amongst NHL rookie goalies in wins, GAA and SV%.
- Since entering the NHL in 2019-20, he leads NHL rookies in wins (31) and surpassed Pekka Rinne for most wins by a Finnish-born rookie goaltender