NEW YORK YANKEES (3-3) vs. TORONTO BLUE JAYS (4-2)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 13, 2022
R H E LOB SERIES
TORONTO BLUE JAYS 6 8 0 5 2
NEW YORK YANKEES 4 10 1 8 1
STARTING TIME: 7:08 p.m. TIME OF GAME: 3:10
GAME-TIME TEMPERATURE: 65 degrees ATTENDANCE: 30,109
WINNING PITCHER: Adam Cimber (2-0) PITCH COUNTS (Total Pitches/Strikes):
LOSING PITCHER: Chad Green (0-1) Yankees: Gerrit Cole (85/54)
SAVE: Jordan Romano (4) Blue Jays: José Berríos (80/52)
HOME RUNS (2022 TOTAL / INNING / RUNNERS ON BASE / OUTS / COUNT / PITCHER / SCORE AFTER HR)
YANKEES Blue Jays
Anthony Rizzo (#3 / 5th / solo / 1 out / 1-0 / Berríos / NYY 1 – TOR 3) Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (#2 / 1st / solo / 2 out / 1-0 / Cole / NYY 0 – TOR 1)
Aaron Judge (#1 / 5th / solo / 1 out / 0-0 / Berríos / NYY 2 – TOR 3) Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (#3 / 3rd / 1 on / 2 out / 1-1 / Cole / NYY 0 – TOR 3)
Gleyber Torres (#1 / 8th / solo / 2 out / 0-0 / Richards / NYY 4 – TOR 6) Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (#4 / 8th / solo / 0 out / 0-0 / Loáisiga / NYY 3 – TOR 5)
NEW YORK YANKEES NOTES
• The Yankees are 3-3 to begin their season-opening seven-game homestand.
• Are playing their first 10 games of the season against the AL East (3-3 thus far).
• RHP Gerrit Cole (5.2IP, 4H, 3ER, 1BB, 6K, 2HR) made his second start of the season and did not record a decision.
• 1B Anthony Rizzo (2-for-4, 1R, 1HR, 1RBI, 1BB) hit a solo HR in the fifth inning…has homered in three of the Yankees’ first six games, becoming just
the third Yankee since 2008 to homer in at least three of the club’s first six games (also Aaron Judge-3G in 2020 and Mark Teixeira-4G in 2011).
• Has reached base safely in all six games this season, reaching base in 13-of-27 plate appearances this season (4H, 5BB, 2HP).
• RF Aaron Judge (2-for-4, 1R, 1HR, 1RBI, 1BB) reached base three times and hit his first HR of the season in the fifth inning.
• Has reached base safely in each of the Yankees’ first six games and each of his last 10 games dating back to 9/30/21…is batting .316/.395/.605
(12-for-38) with 5R, 2 doubles, 3HR, 4RBI and 5BB over that on-base streak.
• 3B DJ LeMahieu (2-for-4, 1 double, 1RBI) hit a game-tying RBI double in the fifth inning…recorded his second straight multi-hit game.
• Is a career .345 (69-for-200) batter with 35R, 16 doubles, 1 triple, 9HR, 28RBI and 20BB in 51G vs. the Blue Jays…is his second-highest BA (min.
10G) against any opponent in his career (Washington – .350BA in 41G)…in 48 games vs. Toronto as a Yankee, has hit .351 (67-for-191) with 35R, 15
doubles, 1 triple, 9HR, 28RBI, 20BB and 2HP…owns the highest BA by any Yankee (min. 100PA) against the Blue Jays (next: Oscar Gamble, .331,
• LF Joey Gallo (0-for-3, 1BB) has walked in each of his five games this season with a plate appearance.
• 2B Gleyber Torres (1-for-4, 1R, 1HR, 1RBI) hit his first HR of the season in the eighth inning…is 5-for-15 (.333) with 1R, 2 doubles, 1HR, 1RBI and 1HP
in his last four games.
• CF Aaron Hicks (2-for-4) has hit safely in each of his games with an at-bat this season, hitting .353/.450/.529 (6-for-17) with 1R, 1HR, 2RBI and 3BB.
• LHP JP Sears (1.0IP, 1K) made his Major League debut and tossed a scoreless ninth inning…struck out George Springer to record his first Major
• RHP Chad Green (1.0IP, 1R/0ER, 1BB) took the loss.
TORONTO BLUE JAYS NOTES
• The Blue Jays won the third game of a four-game set vs. the Yankees (2-1 in the series)…are 4-2 through six games to start the season…will return
home for a three-game set vs. Oakland this weekend (4/15-17) before embarking on a six-game road trip to Boston (4/19-21) and Houston (4/22-24).
• Are 6-4 in their last 10 games vs. the Yankees (since 9/6/21) and 15-9 in their last 24 games (since 9/23/20).
• RHP José Berríos (5.0IP, 6H, 3ER, 3BB, 5K, 2HR) made his second start of the season and did not factor in the decision…did not allow a run over the
first 4.0 innings before allowing 3ER on 4H in the fifth…allowed back-to-back home runs to Rizzo and Judge, and an RBI double to LeMahieu in the
fifth…marked the first time he has allowed multiple home runs in a game since allowing 3HR on 7/19/21 at Chicago-AL.
• 1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (4-for-4, 3R, 1 double, 3HR, 4RBI) hit 3HR in a game for the second time in his career (also 3HR on 4/27/21 vs.
Washington)…marked his eighth career multi-HR game (first since 2HR on 8/30/21 vs. Baltimore)…hit a solo HR off Gerrit Cole in the first inning,
snapping an 0-for-9 stretch, a two-run HR off Cole in the third and a solo HR off Loáisiga to lead off the eighth…also doubled off Cole in the
sixth…tied his career high with 4H (also 4H on 6/1/21 vs. Miami).
• Became the 10th player (11th time) in Blue Jays history to hit 4 XBH in a game (last: Yunel Escobar – 3 doubles, 1HR on 8/29/12 at the Yankees).
• Has connected for 76 career home runs, the most all-time by a Blue Jay in his first 350 career contests (Fred McGriff – 74), while his 221RBI are also
the most in that span (Vernon Wells – 217).
• In 49 career games vs. the Yankees, has batted .303/.358/.559 (57-for-188) with 20R, 11 doubles, 2 triples, 11HR, 32RBI and 14BB…his 57 career
hits against the Yankees lead all active Blue Jays (next: Teoscar Hernández, 50H).
• CF George Springer (1-for-5, 1RBI) hit an RBI single in the seventh inning, extending his hitting streak to five games (since 4/9).
• Has reached base safely in all six games this season, batting .370/.414/.704 (10-for-27) with 5R, 3 doubles, 2HR, 5RBI, 2BB and 1SB.
• 3B Matt Chapman (1-for-4, 1RBI) recorded an RBI single in the eighth inning…has hit safely in two straight games.
• SS Bo Bichette (1-for-5, 1R, 1 double) doubled in the third inning and scored a run.
• RHP Adam Cimber (1.0IP), RHP Yimi García (1.0IP, 1H, 1K) and RHP Jordan Romano (1.0IP, 1H, 1K) each provided scoreless relief.
• Romano recorded his fourth save of the season…converted his 27th consecutive save opportunity (since 5/21/21), a Blue Jays franchise
record…set the record on Monday with his 26th consecutive save, surpassing Tom Henke (25 in 1991).
UPCOMING PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Date Opponent Probable Pitchers Time-ET TV
Thurs., 4/14 vs. Toronto RHP Luis Severino (0-0, 6.00) vs. RHP Kevin Gausman (0-0, 5.40) 7:05 p.m. YES/MLBN
Fri., 4/15 at Baltimore LHP Jordan Montgomery (0-0, 8.10) vs. RHP Jordan Lyles (0-1, 9.00) 7:05 p.m. YES
Sat., 4/16 at Baltimore RHP Jameson Taillon (0-1, 3.60) vs. RHP Tyler Wells (0-1, 21.60) 7:05 p.m. YES
Sun., 4/17 at Baltimore LHP Nestor Cortes (0-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Bruce Zimmermann (0-0, 0.00) 1:05 p.m. YES/MLBN
On the Radio: All games carried by WFAN-AM 660/101.9FM and the Yankees Radio Network; Spanish on WADO 1280-AM and YES Network in SA