Postgame Notes for Friday, April 15, 2022
OAKLAND ATHLETICS (4-4) at TORONTO BLUE JAYS (5-3)
R H E LOB Win: Cimber (3-0)
OAKLAND 1 6 0 5 Loss: Jefferies (0-1)
TORONTO 4 11 0 10 Save: Romano (5)
First Pitch: 7:08 pm One-Run Games: 1-0 Temperature: 20°C/68°F
Last Pitch: 10:08 pm Extra-Inning Games: 0-0 Wind: N/A
Game Time 3:00 Comeback Wins: 2 Attendance: 35,415
BLUE JAYS NOTES:
• Improved to 5-3 on the season and 3-1 at home…Extended their winning streak over the Athletics to six
games, dating back to last season…Have gone 12-2 against Oakland since the start of 2019…Are now 28-
12 since returning to Rogers Centre on 7/30/20…Blue Jay batters combined to notch a season-high 11 hits
while striking out a season-low five times.
• ROSS STRIPLING surrendered just two hits over 4.0 shutout innings in his first start (3rd appearance) of the
year, striking out three batters while walking none…In his first start of every season, Stripling has combined
to fashion a 2.38 ERA (9 ER/34.0 IP).
• VLADIMIR GUERRERO JR. opened the scoring with his MLB-leading 5th home run of the season, a solo
shot in the bottom of the 1st…Tied Carlos Delgado (1994, 2001) and Vernon Wells (2010) for the most
homers in the team’s first eight games of a season…Also singled in the 3rd and was intentionally walked in
the 7th, finishing the game 2-for-3, his 4th multi-hit game of the season.
• LOURDES GURRIEL JR. singled, doubled, and walked, going 2-for-3 on the night with an RBI…Was his
first multi-hit game of the year…Has hit safely in six of eight games this season.
• SANTIAGO ESPINAL plated a run with a double in the 2nd inning, his 3rd RBI double of the
season…Snapped a 0-for-10 hitless streak…Was intentionally walked in the 6th for the first time in his
• RAIMEL TAPIA singled in the 2nd and 4th innings, finishing the night 2-for-2…Marked his first multi-hit game
as a Blue Jay.
• ZACK COLLINS notched his first hit in a Toronto uniform, doubling to the right field corner in the bottom of
the 4th inning…Drove in a run with a single in the 6th, marking his first multi-hit effort of the season.
• JORDAN ROMANO pitched a scoreless 9th inning (2K) to pick up his MLB-leading 5th save of the
season…Has converted 28 consecutive save opportunities, dating back to last season, the longest
streak in franchise history (Tom Henke – 25 in 1991) and currently the longest active streak in the
Majors…Joined Duane Ward (1993) as the only players in club history to pick up five saves in the first eight
team games of a season.
• ADAM CIMBER tossed 1.2 scoreless innings, giving up a hit while striking out three batters and walking
none…Earned his MLB-leading 3rd win of the season, matching his win total from last year…The three
wins tied him with Casey Janssen (2010) and Bill Caudill (1985) for the most by a Toronto pitcher in the
team’s first eight games of a season.
• Slipped to an even 4-4 on the year, losing for the sixth straight time to the Blue Jays, dating back to last
season…Scored a season-low one run on six hits.
• DAULTON JEFFERIES made his 4th career MLB start, giving up two runs on seven hits over 4.1 innings
with a walk and a pair of strikeouts…Tossed 63 pitches while tying a career-high with 45 strikes.
• KEVIN SMITH doubled in the 3rd and singled in the 5th, going 2-for-3 on the night…Marked his first career
multi-hit effort in his 26th career big league game…Made his MLB debut for the Blue Jays on 8/18/21 at
WAS before being dealt to the A’s in a package for Matt Chapman last month.
• CHAD PINDER drove in Oakland’s first run of the game with a pinch-hit single in the 6th inning…Now batting
.295 (49-for-166) with 10 home runs and 25 RBI in 55 career April games, his highest batting average of any
HOME RUNS # Outs Type Field Count Off Inning Score Before
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. 5 2 1R RCF 2-2 Jefferies 1st 0-0
UPCOMING PROBABLE PITCHING MATCHUPS: (All Times Eastern)
Saturday, April 16 vs. Oakland Athletics, 3:07 pm…LHP Hyun Jin Ryu (0-0, 16.20) vs. RHP Paul Blackburn (1-0, 0.00)
Sunday, April 17 vs. Oakland Athletics, 1:37 pm…RHP Alek Manoah (1-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Adam Oller (0-0, 33
Postgame Notes for Friday, April 15, 2022